User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2670mk towed by f150 EB, max everything. Still squirmy.

I mostly read and rarely post. This question really bothers me. I have a 2020 2670mk. Tow it with a 2019 F150 3.5EB w/ Max tow ETC and a BlueOx WDH. I've been over the setup of the WDH several times and the truck still feels squirmy when I tow. At this point I'm thinking it's the OEM tires, (Michelin Primacy XC's), They are a C rated tire and not much more than a glorified passenger car tire. I'm considering going to an E rated tire with a 10 ply rate sidewall to replace the 2 ply OEM tires. Hopefully I'm heading in the right direction with this thought train. Replacing new tires with newer tires is a $1177 decision. Would anyone like to weigh in on this topic? I hate to throw good money after bad. I have also considered the Roadmaster Active Suspension System and the ProPride Hitch. More money and more money. Can anyone help me stop the financial bleeding? Our travel plans include some longs hauls to the west from NC so A solid ride would be a wonderful thing.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BlueOx makes a good hitch, I wouldn't worry about replacing it. I think the upgraded TV tires is a great start, might be a little more rough ride when unloaded, it shouldn't be terrible. I assume or hope that you have all the heights and everything dialed in correctly for your hitch.

What about your trailer loading? Might be a good investment to get a Sureline tounge scale and see how your hitch weight is. 12% of your trailer weight should be on your tounge (not always, just a good starting point). Obviously you will want to weigh the trailer at a truck scale to figure out your trailer total weight, make sure its packed as you would for a trip.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had "P" tires on my F150. Going to "E" tires fixed the squishy squirmy ride but the unloaded ride was rougher.
    The last modification to the F150 was to trade it on a F250.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think both of the above comments are spot on.

I think E tires will help some. Just a heads up, they aren’t 10 ply, that’s 70’s terminology.

Have you tried airing up the factory tires? Read the sidewall and fill up to that max. If you are running around on 33-35 psi that will handle like garbage. I’m guessing the max is 44-50psi. That will stiffen those quite a bit.

Not everyone on here adjusts their air pressure, it’s always an option. When I used to auto cross we would add 10psi(from 30 to 40) to tires to stiffen the side walls, it makes an noticeable difference. On our 3/4 ton suburban I run 50 psi empty and 65 psi when towing. Making adjustments and staying within the tires max psi or load table is key though.

If you max out those factory tires psi and it doesn’t feel much better to you I suggest that you buy a 3/4 ton. The big picture is that you are trying to tow a 7000lb trailer with a 5000lb truck. Ford says you can do it but everyone who does says that it’s just about at its limits.

These folks and many on here say the same thing. The F150 will pull it, but the F250 will make it easier and less nerve racking.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XHv-6ka9zKk

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well...if you don't already have the "E" tires, then you don't have everything on your truck. There was also a Heavy Duty Payload Package option, that included those, and a lot of other enhancements to tow a heavy trailer.....

2670MK's are noted for being too light on the tongue. As stated above, make sure your tongue weight is at least 12%, absolute bare minimum (over 900 lbs) . It's hard to do with that trailer. Too light on the tongue, and it is prone to sway. Period. Seriously, fill your water tanks, load sandbags or cinder blocks way up front, recheck everything for your hitch again, max out your tire pressure and go for a good test drive. Keep checking your side mirrors, there should not be any peeking out in one side, then the other, of the rear of the trailer. If that helps, consider adding a battery, perhaps get an over-the-hitch bike rack. Although Ford says you only need to recover 1/2 of the front fender rise, adjust your hitch to get the front completely back to the unloaded height. Even better, go to a scale, and work on getting the actual front weight back to what it was when empty.
    THEN, if that is solid and you still get squirm (but not sway), think about tires.

I have the setup, with the Payload package. And the ProPride hitch. I still get more "truck suck" from passing semis that I would like. But that may be a change in my hitch, due to the way the storage yard moves it around, perhaps throwing it out of alignment. A project for this spring - to relook at everything. My truck, as equipped, beats specs on most F-250's....
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy P View Post
    I mostly read and rarely post. This question really bothers me. I have a 2020 2670mk. Tow it with a 2019 F150 3.5EB w/ Max tow ETC and a BlueOx WDH. I've been over the setup of the WDH several times and the truck still feels squirmy when I tow. At this point I'm thinking it's the OEM tires, (Michelin Primacy XC's), They are a C rated tire and not much more than a glorified passenger car tire. I'm considering going to an E rated tire with a 10 ply rate sidewall to replace the 2 ply OEM tires. Hopefully I'm heading in the right direction with this thought train. Replacing new tires with newer tires is a $1177 decision. Would anyone like to weigh in on this topic? I hate to throw good money after bad. I have also considered the Roadmaster Active Suspension System and the ProPride Hitch. More money and more money. Can anyone help me stop the financial bleeding? Our travel plans include some longs hauls to the west from NC so A solid ride would be a wonderful thing.

Andy,

Getting the E Rated tires will help a great deal, I noticed that on my prev F150 while towing and not towing. When not towing if I would cross over the Susquehanna river on a windy day you would fell the trucked getting pushed around (or the squishy effect), much better after the E rated tires. The improvement while towing was also much better. If you keep the P rated tires, airing them up will help but not as much as the E rated. As for the Ride quality I did not think it changed that much, I would not call it rough. As for the price I was able to sell the old P rated tires on Craig's list for $300

Make sure the that the trailer is riding level, if you are at all nose high that can cause some instability. The dealer was way off on the setup being nose high, so once I made the it level it felt much better.

One last thing make sure the Blue OX shank on your truck is torqued to the proper settings as this was very loose from the dealer from their initial setup

Mark
    Mark & Cindy, York, PA
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 230RL (White)
    Curt A16 Hitch, Turning Point Swivel Pin Box, set to Swivel, with Curt Wedge
    2019 Ford F250 STX 6.2L with 4.30 Gears, SB CC SRW 4x4, 18" Wheels, 3192 Payload, 15,000 Towing Capacity, Fifth Wheel Prep & Camper Package, Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera, Factory Ordered
    Prev TV: 2016 F150 3.5L Supercab with 6.5' bed, 2167 payload, LT Tires, and Air Lift 5000 air bags set to 15lbs

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many thanks to all that responded. I truly appreciate the wisdom, advice and experience y'all shared here. Since I have no immediate travel plans other than Cancun, time will be spent in the following order to hopefully resolve the uneasiness I have towing the 2670MK.

- Load the camper similar to how we would travel. That would include 42 gal +/- of fresh water
    - Test tow to a CAT scale
    - Get a tongue weight via a CAT scale or dyi plank bathroom scale method. Adjust the tongue weight as needed to hit the 12% to 13% mark
    - Test tow again. If it's good then all is good. If not
    - Install load rated E tires....ouch. OEM rubber has 1450 miles on them. If still no good Look at airbags or Roadmaster Active Suspension. Another small ouch. If still not right
    - Go get a ProPride Hitch.....big ouch! If still not right.
    - Trade my brand new F150 for a F250.....now I'm in real pain!

Many Thanks again!

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    BTW - I have airbags. With my F-150 (payload = 2166 lbs), with the trailer at 925 lbs, I really don't need them, nor do they make any difference in the ride. You may want, if yours "squats" more under the load. Look at the Active Suspension, first.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the F150, the tires are the starting point.

Does your truck have the "trailer sway control" built in?

The only hitch that our Service department will install on the newer trucks is the Reese Straitline. We've been down this road several times with F150's and the Blue Ox won't even work with the built in sway BS.

That said, a ProPride or Hensley would do the job also. We do not sell or install them.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    On the F150, the tires are the starting point.

Does your truck have the "trailer sway control" built in?

The only hitch that our Service department will install on the newer trucks is the Reese Straitline. We've been down this road several times with F150's and the Blue Ox won't even work with the built in sway BS.

That said, a ProPride or Hensley would do the job also. We do not sell or install them.
    Yes Sir...The F150 does have built in electronic sway control. It is my understanding that the sway control sends a message to the dashboard if it activates. I have never seen this message on my truck. There is also a selection in the menu to deactivate the sway control. I have towed with it on and off and haven't noticed any difference.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast