User Tag List

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Battery compartment storage weight question.

This seems obvious enough but thought that I would double check. I have space to throw in my Powerblock dumbbells up in the battery compartment. They weigh 70lbs each, about the same as two more batteries. My pin weight is low and I could use the extra weight there as well. The area should be strong enough, am I missing anything?
    2021 GD Reflection (150) 5th Wheel 268BH
    2019 F250 Gas 6.2L V8 FX4 Crew Cab
    PullRite 2100 20K Hitch w/ LOCKED OUT Turning Point
    2x Honda EU2200i Generators & 1UP Bike Rack & Roll-N-Lock Bed Cover
    Previous Setup:
    2017 Outdoors RV 23BHS
    2017 F150 Sport 3.5L V6 EcoBoost

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would consider installing some braces front to back across the bottom of the front storage. Several members have done it in conjunction with other projects. On our 303 it is thin sheet metal and only attached at the frame edges and I am unable to tell if the is spot welded in places or completely around. An ounce of prevention...
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffnCheri View Post
    I would consider installing some braces front to back across the bottom of the front storage. Several members have done it in conjunction with other projects. On our 303 it is thin sheet metal and only attached at the frame edges and I am unable to tell if the is spot welded in places or completely around. An ounce of prevention...
    Commonsense would say the weight should be fine due to the whole reason the area exists in the first place - batteries. According to the dealer more batteries in the area is fine. Called them today in fact. But that area sure feels flimsy, doesn't?
    2021 GD Reflection (150) 5th Wheel 268BH
    2019 F250 Gas 6.2L V8 FX4 Crew Cab
    PullRite 2100 20K Hitch w/ LOCKED OUT Turning Point
    2x Honda EU2200i Generators & 1UP Bike Rack & Roll-N-Lock Bed Cover
    Previous Setup:
    2017 Outdoors RV 23BHS
    2017 F150 Sport 3.5L V6 EcoBoost

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J Maguire View Post
    This seems obvious enough but thought that I would double check. I have space to throw in my Powerblock dumbbells up in the battery compartment. They weigh 70lbs each, about the same as two more batteries. My pin weight is low and I could use the extra weight there as well. The area should be strong enough, am I missing anything?
    Even though our trailer is factory-prepared to carry a 280-pound generator in the front compartment, when we were instead installing four 67-pound batteries I fretted about the weight that would be less-distributed and in different areas than the area planned for the generator. The sheet metal does seem thin and not well-supported even if we haven't AFAIK seen a single story about the front compartment floor falling out.

To assuage my concern I bought a sheet of 3/4" pressure treated plywood and cut it to completely cover the floor of the front compartment. Distributing the weight of the batteries I've added lets me tow more comfortably... a cheap and easy remedy for my probably-silly concern.
    Last edited by boyscout; 03-02-2021 at 07:20 AM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J Maguire View Post
    I think I posted here about my front box bowing. Do a search here and over at GD. To solve the problem I screwed the front lip every 6" or so into the cross beam. I also added a cross brace beside the battery box. The other thing is the saddle boxes (Black box just inside the pass through doors) is only good for about 10 lbs. Watch for the screws pulling out of the lip.

Hope this helps
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    To assuage my concern I bought a sheet of 3/4" pressure treated plywood and cut it to completely cover the floor of the front compartment. Distributing the weight of the batteries I've added lets me tow more comfortably... a cheap and easy remedy for my probably-silly concern.
    I did the same thing plus I glued stair runner carpet I bought at Home Depot to it.
    2024 Ford F350 CCSB Lariat 7.3 4.30
    Sold- 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4
    Sold - 2020 Ford F350 Tremor 7.3 4.30
    Sold - 2020 GD Reflection 303RLS, 2019 GD Imagine 2250 RK

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NASCAR9 View Post
    I did the same thing plus I glued stair runner carpet I bought at Home Depot to it.
    Damn, anOTHER project for the list!
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch