User Tag List

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does your female partner drive your outfit?

Just curious how many women share driving duty whatever your truck/trailer combo might be. I usually just drive if it's going to be 3 hours or less but if the drive is long enough to need a stop we both drive. Always have from the first pop-up 35 years ago. We're still sorting out this new to us TT and have done a couple of close by weekend trips so she hasn't yet but is looking forward to it. We do try to time it so I'm at the wheel when we go through cities but she's been in heavy traffic a few times and did fine. We've done 600 mile days trading off and you're tired at the end but not wiped out.

My sister and BIL took delivery of a new 2500HD Silverado in October and have a new 32' Jayco 5th wheel sitting on the dealer's lot covered in snow in Pa and she hasn't even driven the truck yet and has no intention of pulling the trailer.

And if you're the main driver and female I'm not being sexist, it just seems that the great majority of posters here are of the male gender so that's who I'm addressing.
    2017 Imagine 2150RB
    2018 Titan CC 4x4

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No she doesn’t Never has never will

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife has never driven any of our trucks - empty or towing. Of course she's at least as capable as I am but is intimidated. It works great for us because I prefer driving. She's the navigator.
    Last edited by bertschb; 03-02-2021 at 10:01 AM.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the time, we share the driving duties on most anything over 120 miles. Changing every hour or what ever is appropriate.
    Wayen & Marge Kroeger
    2020 Reflection 303RLS
    2012 F350 CC PSD w/ 50 gal Titan Fuel Tank
    Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    My wife has never driven any of our trucks - empty or towing.
    Same here. DW thinks the dually is a semi.
    2021 351MR
    2017 Jayco 377rlbh (sold)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife is afraid to drive anything big so I do all the driving when going camping. She'll take turns if we take the car someplace though. I told her if something happens to me she'll have to hire someone to tow the rig home.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ACDogs View Post
    Just curious how many women share driving duty whatever your truck/trailer combo might be. I usually just drive if it's going to be 3 hours or less but if the drive is long enough to need a stop we both drive. Always have from the first pop-up 35 years ago. We're still sorting out this new to us TT and have done a couple of close by weekend trips so she hasn't yet but is looking forward to it. We do try to time it so I'm at the wheel when we go through cities but she's been in heavy traffic a few times and did fine. We've done 600 mile days trading off and you're tired at the end but not wiped out.

My sister and BIL took delivery of a new 2500HD Silverado in October and have a new 32' Jayco 5th wheel sitting on the dealer's lot covered in snow in Pa and she hasn't even driven the truck yet and has no intention of pulling the trailer.

And if you're the main driver and female I'm not being sexist, it just seems that the great majority of posters here are of the male gender so that's who I'm addressing.
    While I (the wife) don't do a lot of driving, I have driven on occasion. Couple of reasons for this - we don't tend to drive long days, so my husband is happy doing most of the driving. He also has a tendency to motion sickness if he's not driving, so there's that. We both took the RV driver's training course.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife never has in over 20 years but has recently said she would like to give it a shot.
    We 'B' train with a boat behind, think we'll go with just the 303 for starters.
    Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 03-01-2021 at 09:44 PM.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She drives the truck with no problem but not with a trailer involved. Probably never going to happen either.
    2021 GD Reflection (150) 5th Wheel 268BH
    2019 F250 Gas 6.2L V8 FX4 Crew Cab
    PullRite 2100 20K Hitch w/ LOCKED OUT Turning Point
    2x Honda EU2200i Generators & 1UP Bike Rack & Roll-N-Lock Bed Cover
    Previous Setup:
    2017 Outdoors RV 23BHS
    2017 F150 Sport 3.5L V6 EcoBoost

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ACDogs View Post

We are similar to you. First driving our 2500 by itself seemed to intimidate her, but with more success it bred confidence.
    On long trip like you when I saw some longer hiway stretches I got her to pull some of them.

Our 35 ft sailboat was similar. Slow successes bred her confidence in helming the boat out in open water. One day I gave her the helm to do the most difficult of things , dock a boat with a 63 ft mast in an enclosed marina with everyone watching. She was scared but did it which was a big break though in her confidence.

Sharing the duties makes her a reliable partner as she understands the challenges first hand. It’s something to work to gradually with a patient hand though.
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast