User Tag List

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ACDogs View Post
    Just curious how many women share driving duty whatever your truck/trailer combo might be. I usually just drive if it's going to be 3 hours or less but if the drive is long enough to need a stop we both drive. Always have from the first pop-up 35 years ago. We're still sorting out this new to us TT and have done a couple of close by weekend trips so she hasn't yet but is looking forward to it. We do try to time it so I'm at the wheel when we go through cities but she's been in heavy traffic a few times and did fine. We've done 600 mile days trading off and you're tired at the end but not wiped out.

My sister and BIL took delivery of a new 2500HD Silverado in October and have a new 32' Jayco 5th wheel sitting on the dealer's lot covered in snow in Pa and she hasn't even driven the truck yet and has no intention of pulling the trailer.

And if you're the main driver and female I'm not being sexist, it just seems that the great majority of posters here are of the male gender so that's who I'm addressing.
    My wife will not tow this rig. She flat out told me she does not want to learn how to pull the 5er. As I had stated in the other thread, she used to drive school bus many years ago. She also used to pull our Pop Up (a long time ago). She is a great navigator and she has taught our 9 year old grand daughter how to be an excellent back seat driver. That includes all of the important stuff - speed limit signs, seat belts, stop signs/lights, and of course BOTH HANDS ON THE WHEEL POP POP.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife has no interest in pulling the fiver. However I did let my 17 year old daughter pull the travel trailer for around a hundred miles through Alabama years ago traveling to Florida.
    2020 Solitude 310GKR
    2003 F350 PSD

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do, my wife does not (I'm a woman, too). She can't back up to save her life and she's too scairt to drive forward.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't convince my wife to drive the F250 let alone pull the trailer. I wish she would for an emergency.
    Greg & Vicki
    US ARMY Retired
    2020 F250 Platinum 6.7L Diesel 10 Speed 4x4
    2020 Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will learn to drive it

When we take delivery on ours I swear I will learn to drive it. It's not really safe not to know how. What if the man gets sick or injured on a trip?

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ACDogs View Post
    Just curious how many women share driving duty whatever your truck/trailer combo might be. I usually just drive if it's going to be 3 hours or less but if the drive is long enough to need a stop we both drive. Always have from the first pop-up 35 years ago. We're still sorting out this new to us TT and have done a couple of close by weekend trips so she hasn't yet but is looking forward to it. We do try to time it so I'm at the wheel when we go through cities but she's been in heavy traffic a few times and did fine. We've done 600 mile days trading off and you're tired at the end but not wiped out.

My sister and BIL took delivery of a new 2500HD Silverado in October and have a new 32' Jayco 5th wheel sitting on the dealer's lot covered in snow in Pa and she hasn't even driven the truck yet and has no intention of pulling the trailer.

And if you're the main driver and female I'm not being sexist, it just seems that the great majority of posters here are of the male gender so that's who I'm addressing.
    No, she’s mediocre driving our SUV. She tried pulling our pop-up once, many moons ago, and only went one exit. She had to stop so I could change my underwear. There is no way I would let her drive pulling a 35ft TT.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Typically we split the driving any time we go over 3 hours

My wife and I typically split the driving any time we go over 3 hours. Whether it just a car, just our F-250, or the F-250 pulling the Imagine 2970RL 34' TT behind us. She's driven the biggest things U-Haul will rent without a CDL, so truck+TT is no problem!

But I always do the backing up simply because it takes a long time to learn and we don't go out often enough that she's been able to learn. But we always split all the set up and take down functions.

Of course, if we're going someplace in our Corvette, I'll try my best to do ALL the driving!
    2019 Imagine 2970RL 34' Travel Trailer, pulled by 2019 Ford F-250 Lariat Diesel.

Fireside Member Jefferson Beifuss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with Timmer, a previous poster. My wife was born into a farming family back in the 50s and 60s, grew up driving a tractor, But, that didn't translate into being comfortable driving big equipment. She will drive the 1 ton without the 5th wheel out in the middle of Nevada for a few hours on the Interstate, but no traffic, please. No backing. It would be a lot safer if she could pull the fiver, but I don't see it happening any time soon. Need to check out FMCA.
    Jeff & Jean
    2015 GD Reflection 337RLS, Goodyear Endurance tires, JT Strongarm stabilizers
    2015 Ford F-350 SRW Lariat, w/ Sulastic spring shackles, Rancho shocks, airbag, 80 gal supplemental fuel tank, Curt Q20 hitch, Access rollup cover

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My husband and I share the driving. We change up at the fuel up. He usually puts in a few more miles during the entire trip and always does any backing up. When we are on a long travel day, we can get more miles in. Been doing this with all of our RV's over the years. Safe travels!!
    John & Margo Cooper
    Retired & Loving Life
    2017 F250
    2014 303RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am one of those wives. So here goes. Driving is not my husbands favorite pastime. He does it because he wants to get somewhere. But, he absolutely hates to be a passenger, even in a car. I love to drive, but my idea of the ideal size car is a VW bug. I finally got comfortable driving our F250 just about anywhere. I am not so comfortable parking it in a crowded parking lot. Anyway, when we got our first 5th wheel (18 years ago), we both took RV driving lessons. I did quite well and although I was a bit intimidated by the size and width, I was and still am, willing to drive on the highway. I drove the rig once on the freeway and was nervous. He was just as nervous and decided that he couldn't relax when I drove so he might as well drive. I am still willing and confident enough to drive it if I have to or in an emergency, but we don't plan for sharing the driving responsibilities. I make a much better navigator than he does anyway (although I have navigated him into some interesting (my words not his) situations in the past 18 years). So we are comfortable with our roles but we are both confident that I could drive if I needed to. And on another note, when we had a popup trailer, I drove it by myself on a windy narrow road, to go camping with my grandchildren, no problem. In fact, I truly enjoyed driving around with that small thing behind our great big F250. I find that just like a marriage every RV couple finds the right balance for themselves and what others do is irrelevant. If it works, and everyone is happy, it's perfect.
    Last edited by justdede; 03-06-2021 at 04:13 PM.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast