0 Thread(s)
    I will drive the truck but not with the 5th wheel

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ACDogs View Post
    Just curious how many women share driving duty whatever your truck/trailer combo might be. I usually just drive if it's going to be 3 hours or less but if the drive is long enough to need a stop we both drive. Always have from the first pop-up 35 years ago. We're still sorting out this new to us TT and have done a couple of close by weekend trips so she hasn't yet but is looking forward to it. We do try to time it so I'm at the wheel when we go through cities but she's been in heavy traffic a few times and did fine. We've done 600 mile days trading off and you're tired at the end but not wiped out.

My sister and BIL took delivery of a new 2500HD Silverado in October and have a new 32' Jayco 5th wheel sitting on the dealer's lot covered in snow in Pa and she hasn't even driven the truck yet and has no intention of pulling the trailer.

And if you're the main driver and female I'm not being sexist, it just seems that the great majority of posters here are of the male gender so that's who I'm addressing.
    My wife cannot navigate her way out of a paper bag. She knows nothing of mechanics (but she's an excellent artist and a good cook). BUT, she can drive a truck+5th wheel. She did this when we full-timed 20 years ago with a 35' 5th and now with our 33'. I do town driving and backing and am the primary driver, but on a long highway drive, she spells me. She has dealt with the highway construction situation where your lane shrinks to 9' next to a concrete barrier.

I think with many women it's a confidence problem that they could overcome with gentle coaching. Some don't have the concentration or skill, but many men don't have much either.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes she does and does it very well much to the applause of the interested critics and onlookers.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know you were just asking for the men's response but thought I would comment. We haul a 399th (44') 5th wheel with a Ram 3500 DRW 8' bed. I LOVE driving the truck and was terrified to haul the trailer. I have done everything else from hook-up to disconnect. Finally got the nerve to haul our City Block just so I know I can id anything ever happened to hubby. Still scary but I can do it.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of good answers here and thanks Marcy for pointing to the other thread.

Like others here, it was/is important to us that DW is able to step in if something happens to me. She still has low confidence but she is fully capable of hooking, driving and unhooking our 5th wheel.

As I have been reading this thread something else occurred to me. We decidided to pursue this life together so we should both be able to to all the jobs that need to be done. There is no question that I am more confident driving and parking in the impossible spot. There is also no question that she can make an amazing meal from nothing.

But I can cook a pretty amazing hotdog if I need to 🤣

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger1 View Post
    My wife shares the towing but doesn’t like to back it up. If she was last to drive we will switch and I’ll back in if it’s not a pull-thru site.
    I’m the wife here and it’s the same for us. I don’t park it but I’m the boss on the outside when we are parking it. We live in So Cal and I have towed through LA traffic too. Our motto is “Put on your blinker in plenty of time and someone will always let you in”. So far, so good! Have even hauled that thing up the coast past San Simeon - roads can’t get more curvy than that! But in all seriousness, we have always felt that I should be able to hook up and tow. You never know what can happen.
    Kim and Carl, So Cal
    Current:
    2020 Reflection 295RL 5th
    2016 F250 Super Duty 4x4 gas
    Previous:
    2006 Skyline Nomad
    2003 F150

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptMac View Post
    Yes and No, I drive the rig and she tells me what to do, how to do it, and where to go.....

Just kidding when we got married we made an agreement that she would make all the small decisions and I would make all the big decisions, and after 45 years there has never been any big decisions to make.
    But I will never ask her to back anything up... ever never again. We are in agreement on this. I will also back her car out of the driveway... just for my sanity.

In the end... one way or the other... it’s all my... uh... responsibility.
    Last edited by JohnSWood; 03-06-2021 at 05:54 PM.
    John Wood and Pat Shackelford
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    2016 F250 KR FX4
    Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 3000QB
    2 Australian Shepherds and looking forward to retirement...

Setting Up Camp north channel novels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife can and does tow, but more for spelling off on occasional long drives. She hates backing up ... the long box 2500 and the 28 foot fifth wheel make for twitchy backing corrections. (Truck to trailer wheelbase is almost as short as the truck wheelbase alone)
    2000 Jayco Eagle 243RKS 1992 Dodge 250 5.9 Cummins (retired)
    2013 Puma 253FBS 2003 Ram 2500 5.9 Cummins (Moved on)
    2018 Reflection 230RL 2015 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins (Current)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can drive the truck but never while hooked up. Too big and cumbersome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I do. F350 Dually & 40 ft Solitude 5th Wheel! We normally drive 8 hour days and split the driving.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast