User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

heat shield

Just received our letter from Grand Design about installing a heat shield behind the microwave/convection oven. Anyone else get this? Now, if I only had our rig at home. Still setting near El Centro, CA in 100 degree weather and I'm not sure when we will be free to travel to go get it.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Noble View Post
    Just received our letter from Grand Design about installing a heat shield behind the microwave/convection oven. Anyone else get this? Now, if I only had our rig at home. Still setting near El Centro, CA in 100 degree weather and I'm not sure when we will be free to travel to go get it.
    Dick - trust the same thing as covered in this earlier thread:

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...onvection-Oven

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Noble View Post
    I received the letter as well. The issue is supposedly associated with frequent high temperature use. GD claims that their in house testing as well as third party testing concluded that there is no possibility of a thermal event or threat to safety. They also say that the repair should take less than an hour. I am not sure how long the rig would have to sit in the dealer lot before they get around to it though and the dealer is a 1-1/2 how drive one way.

At this point I am undecided if I will have the dealer perform the fix or not. The fix is installing a protective heat shield. I would rather install the heat shield myself. I wish I knew what they are using for the heat shield materials. We are also mostly long weekenders and short trips, not full timers yet and we rarely cook in the camper so I am not sure just how necessary the fix is for us. Having said that I think the issue is cause for concern and I will address it at some point.

If anyone knows what the heat shield materials are please let us know. Also, how much space is behind the microwave?

Mark
    Mark & Megan & Levi (our floppy eared four legged furry friend)
    2019 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax
    B & W Companion

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got the same letter. I called GD Reflection customer service and they are sending the protective material to me to install. It's not that hard to install - remove 2 screws to remove the MW, peel off the adhesive covering and stick to the wall. They said installation instructions come with it (I have not received it yet). Great customer service!

Ken
    2020 Reflection 31MB Fifth Wheel
    2007 Ford F350 diesel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm wondering (I do a lot of that) if I could install a real stove vent at the same time?
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by red_neck_camper View Post
    I got the same letter. I called GD Reflection customer service and they are sending the protective material to me to install. It's not that hard to install - remove 2 screws to remove the MW, peel off the adhesive covering and stick to the wall. They said installation instructions come with it (I have not received it yet). Great customer service!

Ken
    Ken, good call! I just got off the phone with Grand Design, and they are sending me the heat shield as well. I think I can do my own install. I don't look forward to making a trip to the dealer for this repair. Stay safe! -Diego

2017 Ford F350 DRW 6.7L Custom Ordered
    2018 GD Solitude 310GK
    40,900+Miles
    "Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself." -Potter Stewart

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by red_neck_camper View Post

Ken
    Almost sounds like sticky back foil. I remember the pics of a scorched wall showing smoke trails. Seems to me their not needed fix isn't much of a protective measure. I'd rather see s sheet of metal spaced away from the wall with air flow allowed.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I received the letter this week.
    Like others here, I don't really want to leave my trailer at the dealer for a period of time. Much easier and less time if I can do it myself.

I would agree with Marcy, it should be a piece spaced out from the wall. A small air gap will improve the heat blocking by several orders of magnitude.
    Not sure if it is possible (don't want to cause any problems) if the instructions show a size and location for the covering? A piece of .020 thick aluminum should work if it is the right size and location. Just need to take the time and remove the micro to see what kind of room there is back there.

We have never used the oven other than just the microwave part, so I have no burn mark to go by. I could just cover the whole area and be done with it.
    An 'in progress' photo would be great from anyone that is doing the Grand Design kit.

Stay Safe,
    Rob
    Rob & Kathy
    2019 F350 CCSB SRW, w/Demco Autoslide.
    2019 Solitude 310GK.

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob+Kath View Post
    Yes, I received the letter this week.
    Like others here, I don't really want to leave my trailer at the dealer for a period of time. Much easier and less time if I can do it myself.

I would agree with Marcy, it should be a piece spaced out from the wall. A small air gap will improve the heat blocking by several orders of magnitude.
    Not sure if it is possible (don't want to cause any problems) if the instructions show a size and location for the covering? A piece of .020 thick aluminum should work if it is the right size and location. Just need to take the time and remove the micro to see what kind of room there is back there.

We have never used the oven other than just the microwave part, so I have no burn mark to go by. I could just cover the whole area and be done with it.
    An 'in progress' photo would be great from anyone that is doing the Grand Design kit.

Stay Safe,
    Rob
    I installed aluminum behind our Microwave/Convection Oven. No need for an air gap because the Aluminum will dissipate the heat from any hot spot behind the oven. I used rolled aluminum, about 12" wide and overlapped the two strips in the middle (horizontally), I used short SS screws to hold the aluminum in place. Whole job took me about 15 minutes.

PS: You want to have someone to help you remove and re-install the Microwave, it's just easier that way.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

recall on microwave/convection oven?

just got a letter about the subject. apparently the heat generated by the oven is causing some sort of problem on the wall. they want to put some sort of shield behind the oven.

has anyone dealt with this yet? can it be a diy(i'm 12 hours away from my dealer). iyo, does this represent a fire hazard?

thanks
    2020 Reflection 297RSTS. Equalizer 1600 hitch. 2020 Chevrolet 2500 diesel short bed. Charley and Janis. Pets Zoie and Harley.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast