User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The manufacturer of your axles is a good source of info as to specific part numbers.

Definitely buy your Timken bearings in the "sets". Less expensive than buying cup and cone separately. By purchasing this way off amazon, you can get them for just a little more than the Chinese made bearings.

example:
    https://www.amazon.com/Timken-SET6-B...4803904&sr=8-2
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ACDogs View Post
    Getting ready to repack the axle bearings on this 2017 and thought it would be a good idea to have a spare set as we're planning some long distance trips. Do I buy Lippert bearings and seals or is there a better choice? Is there a preferred vendor? Funny, I serviced the bearings on 6 previous trailers and never replaced a bearing or seal. Time to be prepared and do a better job. thanks
    @2ACDogs I'll throw in my 2 cents. I concur with others on the Timken bearing sets, I only use SKF seals though with Redline CV-2 synthetic grease (800 degree drop point) and I use a Lyle bearing packer (easily obtained on Amazon). After a nasty bearing failure back in 1996 I became a little fanatical and also use a machinist dial indicator to set the bearing runout. Subsequently in the last 25 years I've had zero problems on 3 5th wheels and 4 boat trailers. Lastly, I carry a full set of inner and outer bearing sets, seal, grease, jack and requisite tools to replace if ever necessary. Safe travels!!
    2020 Solitude 372WB
    2017 F350 Superduty 4x4, Heavy Duty Tow Package
    2900 Superglide Hitch, MORryde Rubber Pinbox
    Zinny, Golden Retriever (rescue)
    Belle, Golden Retriever (rescue)

"Life With a Dog is a Gift"

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer this bearing packer.

https://www.amazon.com/Lumax-LX-1310...900054&sr=8-19

I know it wastes more grease but it is forced in with a grease gun.
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You really should not have to go through any hassle or headache procuring quality seals or bearings. Go to any trailer shop and they'll have them in-stock and many will have standard and pro-grade while others only stock pro-grade.

All you should need is a picture of your axle tag and they'll be able to outfit you. There's nothing special about camper axles. What you will find in both Dexter and Lippert axles is a mixture of brands. Sometimes totally different side-to-side. Manufacturers don't buy by brand. We buy by specification and the purchasing agent buys the best deal at the time. Definitely can't go wrong with USA Timken for bearings and races and Chicago Rawhide or National for seals as was mentioned. However, nothing wrong with SKF either. One thing to watch is that a thinner seal will cross-reference but I recommend you go with the widest width that fits the hub as the more width, the greater the resistance to walking which is one reason grease seals fail.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12