Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When to dewinterize?

We have a 2500RL that just went though its first winter parked on our yard. Its getting close to camping season here in southeast PA and I was wondering when is it OK to dewinterize? We're still getting freezing temps at night but most days now we're above freezing. Is it OK to dewinterize now or should I wait? Our first trip is planned for April and I just want to be sure I have plenty of time to do everything (dewinterize, inspect roof, inspect interior for leaks, etc.)

Also any tips on dewinterizing would be helpful. I've never done it before. Winterization was done in November by the dealer we bought our 2500RL from. It needed some warranty work so we figured we'd just let them winterize it while it was in the shop.

I saw the YouTube video that GD did for dewinterizing the standard system but it seems like they left at least one part out - replacing the low point drain plugs! They showed removing them as the first step but never mentioned putting them back in. I would imagine (no pun intended) you remove the plugs, open all the hot and cold faucets, wait for the antifreeze to stop draining out of the low point, then replace the plugs and close the faucets before starting the pressurized flush. Is that correct?
    --
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL
    2016 Ford F-150 XLT

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It only takes a few minutes to de winterize. I would wait until no chance of freezing

Plug the low point drains. Run water till clear from all taps. Sinks,flush,outside spray ports

When all is clear locate hot water heater Install drain plug with Teflon tape and turn the 3 valves to allow water to flow to the heater

Done

If you want to sanitize that is another process

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may want to locate the water pump and ensure that the valve where they drew the antifreeze in is closed. They should have when they did it but.....

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hampal View Post
    We have a 2500RL that just went though its first winter parked on our yard. Its getting close to camping season here in southeast PA and I was wondering when is it OK to dewinterize? We're still getting freezing temps at night but most days now we're above freezing. Is it OK to dewinterize now or should I wait? Our first trip is planned for April and I just want to be sure I have plenty of time to do everything (dewinterize, inspect roof, inspect interior for leaks, etc.)

Also any tips on dewinterizing would be helpful. I've never done it before. Winterization was done in November by the dealer we bought our 2500RL from. It needed some warranty work so we figured we'd just let them winterize it while it was in the shop.

I saw the YouTube video that GD did for dewinterizing the standard system but it seems like they left at least one part out - replacing the low point drain plugs! They showed removing them as the first step but never mentioned putting them back in. I would imagine (no pun intended) you remove the plugs, open all the hot and cold faucets, wait for the antifreeze to stop draining out of the low point, then replace the plugs and close the faucets before starting the pressurized flush. Is that correct?
    I could be flippant and answer your question with another question: do you want to winterize it again? I'd wait until there's either little chance of freezing or you're imminently moving into it for your trip.

The anti-freeze won't be even NEARLY evacuated by just opening the so-called "low point drains" - they're not as effective as you might think. Ensure that the hot water tank has its plug in it and then connect and turn on a water supply. Let the "low point drains" run clear and then close them before moving to each of the fixtures in your trailer (including any washer lines and outdoor spray ports) and opening them (hot and cold) until they run solid streams of clear water. Then set the (usually red) hot water tank lever in the Nautilus panel to allow its tank to fill and open a hot faucet until it again runs a solid clear stream. Then turn on the hot water tank's electric and/or gas heating.

It takes only ten minutes or so, and worst case is that the winterization was improperly done and something has cracked. We carry spare PEX hose and fittings to deal with that, so I will often wait until we're at our first site before de-winterizing, flushing out the fresh tank with some disinfectant, and charging the gray and black tanks with a few gallons of water and some dish soap and water softener (the GEO method, look it up).

Hope your first trip is all fun. Our trailer is going to be sitting under its thick layer of snow for some time yet. Be grateful that your parents were smart enough to give birth to you in a country where you can escape winter sooner than I can.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    I could be flippant and answer your question with another question: do you want to winterize it again? I'd wait until there's either little chance of freezing or you're imminently moving into it for your trip.

The anti-freeze won't be even NEARLY evacuated by just opening the so-called "low point drains" - they're not as effective as you might think. Ensure that the hot water tank has its plug in it and then connect and turn on a water supply. Let the "low point drains" run clear and then close them before moving to each of the fixtures in your trailer (including any washer lines and outdoor spray ports) and opening them (hot and cold) until they run solid streams of clear water. Then set the (usually red) hot water tank lever in the Nautilus panel to allow its tank to fill and open a hot faucet until it again runs a solid clear stream. Then turn on the hot water tank's electric and/or gas heating.

It takes only ten minutes or so, and worst case is that the winterization was improperly done and something has cracked. We carry spare PEX hose and fittings to deal with that, so I will often wait until we're at our first site before de-winterizing, flushing out the fresh tank with some disinfectant, and charging the gray and black tanks with a few gallons of water and some dish soap and water softener (the GEO method, look it up).

Hope your first trip is all fun. Our trailer is going to be sitting under its thick layer of snow for some time yet. Be grateful that your parents were smart enough to give birth to you in a country where you can escape winter sooner than I can.
    Imagines don’t have a nautilus system

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We try to get a full hook up site on our first trip of the year, then dewinterize when we arrive. As for the low point drains, I installed 1/4 turn valves that make them much easier to deal with.
    2019 2970RL
    2020 F250

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should sanitize at least once a year so I would recommend sanitizing just after dewinterizing. I live in Central GA and dewinterized and sanitized this past weekend. It's not supposed to freeze where I'm at between now and our first trip on 3/13.
    Charles and Susan
    2021 Ram 3500 Laramie, 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
    2021 337rls w/ Andersen hitch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hampal View Post

We are in SE PA also but I don't flush the antifreeze out unless it already May or we start using it before May. We use ours full time 9 months of the year and are heading out this month. I will do the flush the day we leave. It just gets too cold here at night if you are not running the heater and have tank heaters to risk a freeze now. It takes less time to flush than it take to winterize.
    2019 Ford F-350 Limited
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We de-winterize when we feel temps will not be below freezing again. Our routine is de-winterize, sanitize, roof inspection, and general preventative maintenance to ensure everything is ready to go for the season.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All good advice. Also, remember that you must ensure that you have water in the water heater before you turn it on. You can burn out the electric element in a very short time if there is no water in the heater tank.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast