Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First time RVers

Hello, All. My wife and I recently retired and due to Covid travel restrictions we decided to purchase an RV. We decided on the GD 2970RL. We are towing with a 2020 F-150 with EcoBoost and max tow package. On our 120 mile trip home from the dealership I noticed a lot of movement from the TT. It was a windy day but it moved around more than I expected. Would a second anti-sway bar help this situation? We have the EazLift 1000LB WD hitch with one sway control. Thanks! Barry

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the club, you picked a beautiful trailer. I started out with a Grand Design Imagine 2950RL (your model replaced the 2950) 4 years ago and had a great time in it. That is a lot of trailer for an F150 though, mine was over 1300 pounds hitch weight when loaded for camping. I pulled with an F250 diesel and Equalizer sway control hitch and 1200 pound bars, you may need heavier bars to get a better towing experience. Good luck and there are a lot of friendly knowledgeable people so ask questions.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would start with a better hitch

The hitch is the single most important link in towing and should never be done cheaply

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice. What do you recommend?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many thanks. I was hopeful that the 150 would be stable enough for this camper since I have friends who are towing similar loads with them, but now I'm not so sure....

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by breese29 View Post
    Many thanks. I was hopeful that the 150 would be stable enough for this camper since I have friends who are towing similar loads with them, but now I'm not so sure....
    Sway bars are useless imo. A hitch with integrated sway control is the answer
    I have used the Equalizer 4 point and currently use a Husky with 800-1200 lb bars

There is the weigh-safe and also Pro-Pride which is 3000.00. The best of the best

But likely you need greater than 1000 lb bars. Although this helps in distribution which you didn’t mention was an issue

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looked up the trailer you have and noticed it is a rear living style

These tend to be rear heavy units. I am beginning to think you have nowhere near enough tongue weight which will always sway

As has been said 1300lb tongue is likely the goal

Weighing the tongue weight will be crucial to see where it is

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, All. My wife and I recently retired and due to Covid travel restrictions we decided to purchase an RV. We decided on the GD 2970RL. We are towing with a 2020 F-150 with EcoBoost and max tow package. On our 120 mile trip home from the dealership I noticed a lot of movement from the TT. It was a windy day but it moved around more than I expected. Would a second anti-sway bar help this situation? We have the EazLift 1000LB WD hitch with one sway control. Thanks! Barry
    I think you are substantially over payload capacity of your 150. It could account for the “ tail wagging the dog” motion you experienced. A wd hitch will help but not solve it.PAYLOAD CAPACITY is as important as towing capacity. You shouldn’t exceed either for safety or premature towing vehicle issues.

Good luck and have fun

While it’s true vehicles exceeding their payload capacity may not show issues in perfect nominal situations, thus you hear people say they do it all the time for years with no issues. but I wouldn’t want to be over capacity in an avoidance maneuver or sudden blowout.
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A standard friction control sway has a limitation of 5-6K and 25-26' depending on the manufacturers instructions. Over either of those figures requires two friction controls. I have towed with a single bar and a double bar setup, and the difference is very noticeable. In fact I think the double bar setup is comparable to the intgreated sway control hitches... You will get a lot of differing opinions on this, but I have noticed over the years that everyone that switched to a intrgreated hitch and raved about it....Always came from a single bar setup. I also believe that your TT is really pushing what a 1/2 ton can do.

As for the solution.... Your call. Certainly an additional sway control is cheap enough to try it and see... I personally would want more truck, and that may well be your ultimate decission, but opinions on just what is an aceptable tow vary a lot as well. Some are perfectly fine with horendous setups.... Just pay attention on the highway on any holiday weekend. You will see stuff that I wouldn't take around the block.... But those people seem to bo perfectly OK with it.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much for the input. I think I am going to try a second sway control and see the results. It is certainly worth the gamble since they are not expensive. Like you, I think a bigger truck is likely in our future. Take care, and thanks again!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast