User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3.55 vs 4.10 gears

We just ordered a new Solitude 310GK, about 15K pounds loaded. We also will be ordering a new F350 diesel dually. I ordered the 3.55 gears, but I still have time to change that to 4.10.
    Curious whether I am really sacrificing pulling power and will I get better mileage?

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With 1050 ft/lb of torque I don't think you'll be lacking for pulling power. If you're pulling big hills all the time, maybe the 4.10 gears might be better, but you'll be saving a lot of fuel with the 3.55 gears otherwise.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel like I have plenty of pull with 3:55. That said, I’ve never tried 4:10 so I can’t compare.
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m towing a 310 with a RAM & 3.73 gears. Plenty of power , and we tow in the Rockies at least once a year. The new Ford will probably have a smidge more torque , I’m at 1000 , and the new 10 speed transmission. You should be good with 3.55 with that weight.
    Charlie
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 10speed makes all the difference..

Do the math of all of the gears' final drive ratio. (3.55 x gear ratio)...
    I bet you find the starting gear calculate out as the same as the 6spd with 4.3 rear end... (Gear ratio x rear end ratio)

The lower rear ends of days gone by were needed to provide torque multiplication to get the heavy rig rolling with only 3 or 4 gears to choose from.

Now with a 16.4 starting overall ratio, they aren't needed...(6 speed had 15.99 overall in first, BTW)

You get the same grunt when heavy with much taller, quieter, economically better when light, top gears...

It's a win/win

Sent from my LM-G900 using Tapatalk
    2021 Transcend 261bh
    2021 Ford F-150 3.5eb

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2020 dually with 4.10. I pull a 20k 397th like it was on rails. I buzz down the freeway at 65 and rarely fall out of 10th.in tow mode. I was plesantly shocked at how well it pulls the beast. I know alot do tow with 3.55 but most tow the big boys with f450 with 4.30. With the virus I was not able to get one so i went with the f350 with 4.10 and that was not easy to find. The milege hit was not that bad. I added a 50 gal aux tank to give me plenty of distance.
    2021 Grand Design Momentum 397th
    MORryde Rubber Pinbox, CRE 3000, Sumo Springs
    2020 F-350 CC DRW Diesel, LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate
    B&W 20K Companion Hitch, ATTA 50g Aux Fuel Tank

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is apples and oranges to this discussion but my 2020 Silverado diesel with the 10 speed has a 3.42 rear end and there are no options to get anything different. The 10 speed does make all the difference.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobWNY View Post
    This is apples and oranges to this discussion but my 2020 Silverado diesel with the 10 speed has a 3.42 rear end and there are no options to get anything different. The 10 speed does make all the difference.
    True, but for a few reasons. The GMs were late to the party with the high tow ratings in the 30K + range. When this first occured I had a conversation with a long time GM employee and asked him why GM wasn't going along and just lowering the rear end ratio as the others had. I thought his reply was B. S. at the time. He said "We cannot get the pinion gears at lower ratios to live behind the Duramax, and we will not raise the rating with the 3.73, as we do not think our customers would be happy with it" Fast forward to 2020 and the new 10 speed tranny. Because of the ratios in the tranny, they can actually make the rear end gears taller and stronger, while lowering the final over all ratio.. Anyone that knows differentials knows that a 3.42 is stronger than a 3.73. And to make it even stronger, the duallys went from a 11.5 ring gear to a 12.0. Those two changes are consistant with what my friend told me some years ago.
    Now I no longer think my old friend was talking B. S. back then.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CBF1955 View Post
    We just ordered a new Solitude 310GK, about 15K pounds loaded. We also will be ordering a new F350 diesel dually. I ordered the 3.55 gears, but I still have time to change that to 4.10.
    Curious whether I am really sacrificing pulling power and will I get better mileage?
    @CBF1955 you will be fine. I tow our Solitude 375WB which is close to your rv weight with my F350 and do not have any pulling issues with the same gearing and less torque than your new truck will have. I'll take the 3.55 particularly for the everyday driving and fuel mileage. Safe travels!!
    2020 Solitude 372WB
    2017 F350 Superduty 4x4, Heavy Duty Tow Package
    2900 Superglide Hitch, MORryde Rubber Pinbox
    Zinny, Golden Retriever (rescue)
    Belle, Golden Retriever (rescue)

"Life With a Dog is a Gift"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    True, but for a few reasons. The GMs were late to the party with the high tow ratings in the 30K + range. When this first occured I had a conversation with a long time GM employee and asked him why GM wasn't going along and just lowering the rear end ratio as the others had. I thought his reply was B. S. at the time. He said "We cannot get the pinion gears at lower ratios to live behind the Duramax, and we will not raise the rating with the 3.73, as we do not think our customers would be happy with it" Fast forward to 2020 and the new 10 speed tranny. Because of the ratios in the tranny, they can actually make the rear end gears taller and stronger, while lowering the final over all ratio.. Anyone that knows differentials knows that a 3.42 is stronger than a 3.73. And to make it even stronger, the duallys went from a 11.5 ring gear to a 12.0. Those two changes are consistant with what my friend told me some years ago.
    Now I no longer think my old friend was talking B. S. back then.
    There’s definitely some truth to that. Having built a few high HP/torque D-max trucks over the years and having some friends with them as well, I saw a few snap the rear pinion yoke right off. I’ve also seen a couple snap the rear aluminum driveshaft as well. Then there’s the IFS front that has it’s own weaknesses. The new GM’s are supposedly stronger though.
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro Double cab