User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess you don't get the point of holding companies accountable.
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    I prefer to fix things myself then I know they are done correctly

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilsonfan View Post
    At my own expense? No

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    At my own expense? No

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    I agree. Most of the expense is......The time and effort to drag the trailer to the dealer, explain the issue. Get them to believe you..ie getting them to believe they should be fixing it. Hoping they have someone that can do a good job of repair. Waiting for them to get it done/get material. All the while..... not RVing
    I find most issues do not require much, if any cash to fix. Re-attaching trim, aligning a door etc is just labour. Redoing the soft hose will take some time but not a lot of $$. If my fridge broke, ya, the dealer gets it.
    I get that it's new and 'I shouldn't have to do it myself' that some people have said. And really, no you shouldn't but I find it cheaper, faster, and better if I do most of the repairs. And I get to spend more time camping.
    It's similar with my vehicles. I brought my truck in three times for not coming up to temp. They can't figure out what to do. I'm changing the thermostat myself shortly. Tired of driving to the dealer and not having a truck for a couple days.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilsonfan View Post
    Hopefully you won't have to bring your trailer in for anything. I found it a chore that in the end cost me too much. (Time back and forth to dealer and not being able to use the trailer)
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For anyone who's reading this thread that may be taking delivery of a new unit (such as myself), I'd recommend scheduling an independent inspector to go through your unit before the dealer hands it over to you. This way you can catch as many items as possible before it leaves the lot. From what I've read, they are quite thorough and can take most of a day going through every system to create a punchlist for the dealer to fix. I have mine at the ready once the dealer finishes their PDI on my 31MB.

https://nrvia.org/locate/

It's a non-trivial cost but to give some peace of mind seems well worth it.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I'm a year and a half in to my 2020 31MB and I haven't had any water leaks. It's only been back to the dealer one time for some awning repairs. I've worked directly with GD for a new fireplace and the microwave recall. I worked directly with Atwood/Dometic for a new HWH circuit board. The few other minor defects, I fixed myself. The customer service was outstanding.

Ken
    2020 Reflection 31MB Fifth Wheel
    2007 Ford F350 diesel

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by red_neck_camper View Post
    Well, I'm a year and a half in to my 2020 31MB and I haven't had any water leaks. It's only been back to the dealer one time for some awning repairs. I've worked directly with GD for a new fireplace and the microwave recall. I worked directly with Atwood/Dometic for a new HWH circuit board. The few other minor defects, I fixed myself. The customer service was outstanding.

Ken
    This will be our 3rd season with our unit. Had some minor issues that I took care of myself. I've contacted Grand Design 3 times and each time have gotten quick results, and the parts. The closest dealer to me is 3 hours away. I'm not going that distance for stuff I can do myself. Our dealer is good to work with, and they have sent me screws I needed, and walked me through a repair that I didn't understand. I have full confidence that If I need to take it back there, they will be on top of it.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We took it out last weekend for the first time. I left the basement panel off so I could keep an eye on the plumbing and it appeared to be okay. Everything else functioned perfectly so my disappointment is fading away. We had a great time. We spent 3 days in the FW and we've come up with a few mods that I'm going to do: Needs a dimmer installed for the ceiling 12v lights, they are way too bright. Need to replace the plastic lower door guide for the barn door to the bunkroom, they are flimsy and don't properly align the door. Need to install some kind of door handle to the pocket door for the bedroom, they are hard to open without anything to grab. DW wants a lock/latch on the bathroom pocket door.
    This FW towed much better than my last one which was a Jayco. The Reflection had very little bouncing and chucking by comparison. I thought I'd need to install a Morryde rubber pin box but maybe not.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1carguy View Post
    We took it out last weekend for the first time. I left the basement panel off so I could keep an eye on the plumbing and it appeared to be okay. Everything else functioned perfectly so my disappointment is fading away. We had a great time. We spent 3 days in the FW and we've come up with a few mods that I'm going to do: Needs a dimmer installed for the ceiling 12v lights, they are way too bright. Need to replace the plastic lower door guide for the barn door to the bunkroom, they are flimsy and don't properly align the door. Need to install some kind of door handle to the pocket door for the bedroom, they are hard to open without anything to grab. DW wants a lock/latch on the bathroom pocket door.
    This FW towed much better than my last one which was a Jayco. The Reflection had very little bouncing and chucking by comparison. I thought I'd need to install a Morryde rubber pin box but maybe not.
    Good to hear ! This is clearly more the norm by a huge margin.

Many folks on the forum have shared your experience that the GDRVs seem to tow better than any other fivers folks have previously owned. I asked an RV delivery driver (he had nearly 2 decades experience delivery all brands/types of trailers) for a large FL dealer about this in 2018 when I was at the GDRV Factory Service Center. He shared that it is because GDRV fivers have a higher % of pin weight vs axles weight than comparable other manufacturers RVs do. If this balance factor is marginal on the pin to start with, this certainly makes sense and could be even magnified for a loaded RV with some floor plans.

He went on to say that the engineering and build by GDRV to focus in part on better towing (empty and loaded) often pushes them out of the long time popular 2500/250 truck category (mainly payload) that many other manufacturers build their RVS to stay in. The end result is maybe a 2500/250 is the "right" truck for other manufacturers competitive marketing but the towing experience is not or may not be the best. More tail wagging the dog if you will.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CMeth54 View Post
    I haven't purchased my TT yet and now I'm beginning to get a little gun shy! What the hell happened to this great PDI that GD is supposed to have on site at their plant??? I've read that when you make a purchase of a pre-owned RV you should hire an independent inspector to go through it. This might be a good thing to do for a new RV as well before taking delivery????
    Many years ago I placed a factory order for a 46' sailboat. When it arrived I called the surveyor who I had dealt with before and had him meet me at the boat (pre-delivery).
    The dealer was livid. He said it's a new boat, no need for a survey. I insisted and the surveyor discovered several voids in the gel coat. They had to inject epoxy and repair the gel coat before I took the boat.
    So, it's not a bad idea to get a professional inspector to have a look.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast