User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is an interesting thread and a must read for any new buyer. I feel it's pretty evident that most of us are pleased with our GD trailer, but they are probably not any better than many of the other brands available today.

With that in mind, we are going to have to accept there will be issues at delivery and some will appear after use. I completely agree that if you can fix the issues yourself you are way ahead of the game. It's becoming more and more evident that dealer's service departments are useless. Non-caring and incompetent describes most of them.

I would suggest that buying a trailer close to home so that you can get service is probably not a great decision. I know there are exceptions and there are dealers that have good service departments. I would drive as far as necessary for a good price. Take the money you have saved in the purchase and use it for a mobile service technician if and when you need it. Remember the factory warranty is only one year. I guess I'm saying that when buying a new trailer we are basically becoming our own warranty department.

Unless you have never owned a trailer or you just don't have the time or inclination, I really can't see spending the money on a professional inspector to check a new trailer. I'm assuming it's going to cost several hundred dollars for them to spend several hours going over the trailer. Then, you have to get the dealer to fix those issues.

Why not have the dealer have the trailer hooked to electrical power and water, and do the inspection yourself? Bring a friend or two and just start going over the trailer top to bottom. Again, that money you save will pay for a lot of minor repairs. Just my feeble opinion.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    This is an interesting thread and a must read for any new buyer. I feel it's pretty evident that most of us are pleased with our GD trailer, but they are probably not any better than many of the other brands available today.

With that in mind, we are going to have to accept there will be issues at delivery and some will appear after use. I completely agree that if you can fix the issues yourself you are way ahead of the game. It's becoming more and more evident that dealer's service departments are useless. Non-caring and incompetent describes most of them.

I would suggest that buying a trailer close to home so that you can get service is probably not a great decision. I know there are exceptions and there are dealers that have good service departments. I would drive as far as necessary for a good price. Take the money you have saved in the purchase and use it for a mobile service technician if and when you need it. Remember the factory warranty is only one year. I guess I'm saying that when buying a new trailer we are basically becoming our own warranty department.

Unless you have never owned a trailer or you just don't have the time or inclination, I really can't see spending the money on a professional inspector to check a new trailer. I'm assuming it's going to cost several hundred dollars for them to spend several hours going over the trailer. Then, you have to get the dealer to fix those issues.

Why not have the dealer have the trailer hooked to electrical power and water, and do the inspection yourself? Bring a friend or two and just start going over the trailer top to bottom. Again, that money you save will pay for a lot of minor repairs. Just my feeble opinion.
    @dryfly good synopsis of the reality. Your last-point in particularly salient, and I would add to find that friend or even business associate that is an owner to help with the inspection. Many of us are happy to do this for the price of a good meal, nice bottle of bourbon, fun behind the trigger of their MRAD, or trading favors (I have a FR forum member painting our shutters in trade for doing a PDI and day of instruction with them).
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1carguy View Post
    Need to replace the plastic lower door guide for the barn door to the bunkroom, they are flimsy and don't properly align the door. Need to install some kind of door handle to the pocket door for the bedroom, they are hard to open without anything to grab. DW wants a lock/latch on the bathroom pocket door.
    t.
    I could not find a door guide I liked so I made one out of wood which I screwed to the floor. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	door guide pics 2.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	32644Click image for larger version. 

Name:	door guide pics 1.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	32645. There are actually two of them. I wanted it really secure, as that door literally tore the plastic one to pieces (roads are worse every year).The smaller one was the original one with aluminum guides from Amazon. I made the all wooden one later on to support more of the door. As for the bathroom door, Its so hard to open we decided we don't need a latch. My grandkids can't even open it buy themselves.
    Last edited by SGT ROC; 03-12-2021 at 09:30 AM.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234