User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solar Charging on 221RB

I bought a new 221RB which I have had for about five months now. In spite of coming with a 150w solar panel the battery has gone dead three times, all happening when the trailer was parked and nothing turned on. On one of many return trips to the dealer they metered the voltage at the battery as 13.3 volts, indicating it was being charged. I metered it at home after bringing it home and got 12.2 volts. Sunny day, the charge indicator on the charge controller was flashing which my manual says means 'charging.' But it never quits flashing. We hope to dry camp but want to have confidence that our battery won't go dead. Any ideas? P.S., when plugged in to shore power the voltage at the battery still reads 12.2.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am no solar expert but am learning more and more every day about my limited solar system on my 260RB. I don't know the details of your 221RB so my response is my best estimate at your specific problem.

Assuming your solar panel is working (you can measure the output voltage from the wires going into the charge controller from the panel) and the panel is in direct sunlight with a decent angle, the voltage should be ~12V to ~20V going into your controller, depending on many factors, including the specific requirements of your controller. The controller then adjusts the output so a voltage of 13.xxV is available. So, if the dealer measured the battery voltage with the controller wires connected, and your controller is on and attempting to send power to the battery, a reading of 13.3V is possible; but it would be a reading voltage from the controller and not necessarily the battery. If the battery voltage is 12.2V without anything being connected to it after repeated charges, then it sounds to me like a bad battery. A simple battery stress test can be run to test the battery. Any good auto parts store should test if for free . . .

Hope this helps guide you to finding the problem . . .