Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nervous Newbie

We are recently retired and in our early seventies. We have never owned an rv before. After researching various trailers we put a deposit on a 2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE. Our tow truck is a Ford F150 XLT Crew Cab 4x4 with the 3.5 Ecoboost engine rated at 13,200 towing capacity. We will be camping occasionally one or two weeks at a time probably no more than a thousand miles from home. Having never towed a trailer, I am a little concerned about potential mishaps on the road such tire blowouts, strong wind gusts, or mechanical problems that I may encounter that I may not be able to trace and fix. I am not the greatest fix-it person. Any advice you may offer would be highly appreciated, especially those of you with this particular model. Thanks so much ! Tim

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Start with local trips maybe under 120 miles for the first year
    There is a lot to know and do when trailering and setup and tear down of camp

I would never suggest a 1000 plus mile trip having never trailered before

Also invest in a top quality hitch

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have gotten lots of great advice. I will add just one thing. The best thing my husband and I did when we bought our first trailer in 2003 was to sign up with an RV driving school. Even though we both had driven a Class A and Class C motor home before, we found the training extremely useful. Our training was 2 days long with one day of driving in a controlled environment (a parking lot at a local fair grounds), backing up, parking and other instruction and then on the road instruction. Just do a web search to find one in your area. Look for a program that will not only give you hands on towing instruction and experience with your own rig but also cover all the particulars about the various systems and components of your trailer, (sewer, slides, electrical, etc.). Sometimes the driving school/instructor is also a NRVIA certified technician. That is even better because when they work with you and your rig they will also point out any issues they see. Good, luck and have a great time.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=NB Canada;351722]Start with local trips maybe under 120 miles for the first year
    There is a lot to know and do when trailering and setup and tear down of camp

I would never suggest a 1000 plus mile trip having never trailered before

Also invest in a top quality hitch

Really? Entire first year? That seems a bit cautious to me. A more aggressive approach might be to schedule a 100 mile road trip, and also a short trip or two where you encounter city traffic in less than rush hour conditions. Anyway, good luck with your new RV
    2020 Momentum 25G
    2011 RAM 2500 4x4 Megacab 6.7 Diesel

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nervous Newbie

The biggest phenomenon that occurs when towing is being passed by a larger vehicle
    You will feel you are being sucked into the passing vehicle then shortly you will feel a push back out

Do not over correct for this. It is normal but can be intimidating

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Read your owners manual and then read it again. You can get an electronic copy even before you get the RV.

Get an RV tire pressure monitoring system and use it. It’s hard to tell if a tire is low or blown when you are towing. You can do a lot of damage to the RV very quickly with a flat tire.

Also, have your dealer adjust the brakes on the RV before you pick it up. Dexter recommends you adjust the brakes after the first 200 miles when the shoes and drums have seated. Unless you your RV fealer is within 200 miles of the GD factory, your RV will already have more than that when you pick it up.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the good advice

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest just towing around your area a few times and learning how to back up in parking lots with a lot of room and when businesses are closed. Remember to take wide right turns. Camp out in your driveway a couple times and don't cheat. Make it a real camp out. That way you know what you need to pack and what you don't. Watch as many youtube videos as you can about as many aspects of setting up, tearing down, using a dump station etc. as you can. Good luck!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, we have always been water people and I have pulled ski boats and pontoon boats but never a camper trailer. I am sure they catch a lot more wind and are harder on the tires. The last time we camped was about 38 years ago in a tent !!
    Not doing that anymore !!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ephl View Post
    Thanks, we have always been water people and I have pulled ski boats and pontoon boats but never a camper trailer. I am sure they catch a lot more wind and are harder on the tires. The last time we camped was about 38 years ago in a tent !!
    Not doing that anymore !!
    We have a 2020 F150 XLT crew 4x4 3.5 also, with an Imagine 2500RL. With rear air bags, it does ok, but with what we carry, I'm near max, so we've ordered the F350 which pops up below. However, regardless of what tow vehicle you have and the maneuvering experience you will need and gain over time, IMO the most critical item is the hitch. I've used the best Reese had in 2000 and in I-40 wind it was white knuckle every time a semi passed or I hit a wind gust. Changed to a Hensley Arrow and it eliminated the sway and the white knuckles. There are a couple similar, but read the reviews. If you're being pushed to the right and then sucked to the left by semis, you'll see why we went with the Hensley. They also sell reconditioned units with full guarantees and offer interest free financing.
    Mark and Judy
    USN/USAF family (parents and kids)
    2021 F350 Lariat Crew 4x4 SRW 7.3 Godzilla
    2021 Imagine 2500RL w/Hensley Arrow hitch

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast