User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fresh tank drain okay when temp in the 20s?

We are going to be camping soon in southern Utah and the temps are projected to be in the low 20's for a few nights (daytime highs in the upper 40s). This is an imagine 2500rl so not as robust as some trailers, but it appears people have done this with success.

My specific question: I see a freshwater drain below the freshwater tank that sticks down about 6 inches below the coroplast and has a gate valve on the end. Is this at risk of freezing and getting damaged? If so does anyone have any solution for this (hopefully that is quick and easy)?

Thanks in advance,

Bob
    2020 imagine 2500rl; 2021 F250 Tremor 7.3
    youtube: @bobanddangsjourney

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rmcrowe View Post
    We are going to be camping soon in southern Utah and the temps are projected to be in the low 20's for a few nights (daytime highs in the upper 40s). This is an imagine 2500rl so not as robust as some trailers, but it appears people have done this with success.

My specific question: I see a freshwater drain below the freshwater tank that sticks down about 6 inches below the coroplast and has a gate valve on the end. Is this at risk of freezing and getting damaged? If so does anyone have any solution for this (hopefully that is quick and easy)?

Thanks in advance,

Bob
    It certainly is at risk of freezing. As to potential damage, I know of one gentleman locally who forgot to drain his fresh water tank last winter and had no damage even though we had cold weather several mornings down into the upper teens. That was with his RV in storage (i.e., no heat).

You could enclose the fresh water dump valve with some form of insulation and/or add some heat tape to protect it. Even a 100 watt incandescent light bulb somehow enclosed with the valve should protect it from those temps. If you go with the light bulb, ensure the enclosure is not flammable material.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some water in the fresh water tank wont hurt anything even if it freezes. There is enough room in the tank for the expansion when the water freezes. The lines to and from the tank would be a problem.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I think I'm going to give this a try: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08JGQ49XC/ - I don't suspect it's going to help a great deal but it's easy and cheap and hopefully sufficient for just a few hours a day of freezing. It looks like it will probably fit (maybe).

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    Some water in the fresh water tank wont hurt anything even if it freezes. There is enough room in the tank for the expansion when the water freezes. The lines to and from the tank would be a problem.
    I will be running the heater, and I have a lamp in the pass-through (actually in the area where the water pumps is) so hopefully the the lines won't freeze. We are boondocking so no water hookup anyhow - the tank will be mostly full I'm sure it won't freeze in that short time.

I was mostly worried about the drain tube which looks like its made out of PVC and has a gate valve on the end of it. I'm going to put one of those faucet socks on it and hope for the best. I have tried searching here for members that might have experienced problems with this - but either my searching skills are poor or there have not been any reported.

Thanks for the response.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your experience may vary but I will relate ours. 4 nights where overnight temps were 22 to 24 degrees. Daytime temps in mid 30's. Day one we filled our freshwater tank full and then disconnected the FW hose. Used the furnace at night set at 55 degrees when we went to sleep just to keep the basement warm. We had electric so we used ceramic heaters in the coach. We had no issues, of course I was new and never considered the fresh water drain.

Of course my job was also to wake up first and adjust the thermostat and turn on the fireplace so the coach warmed up before the wife got out of bed.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffnCheri View Post
    Your experience may vary but I will relate ours. 4 nights where overnight temps were 22 to 24 degrees. Daytime temps in mid 30's. Day one we filled our freshwater tank full and then disconnected the FW hose. Used the furnace at night set at 55 degrees when we went to sleep just to keep the basement warm. We had electric so we used ceramic heaters in the coach. We had no issues, of course I was new and never considered the fresh water drain.

Of course my job was also to wake up first and adjust the thermostat and turn on the fireplace so the coach warmed up before the wife got out of bed.
    Thanks, that is great feedback. Turns out we have the same job

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could also pick up an outside faucet cover from one of the big box stores. Probably less than the one you are looking at on Amazon. The one that I am thinking of is a styrofoam cover with a hook on the inside and a pull strap on the outside. You pull the strap back, into the cone area, then hook it over the faucet. You then tighten it up by pulling on the outside of the strap. You should be able to hook it to the drain valve handle where, if you were using it at home, you would be hooking it to the faucet.

Here is one from Home Depot...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Standard...1980/204759226
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We camped a week in late December with temps in the teens at night. We burned a lot of propane keeping the underbelly warm. We always had running water available from the holding tank. One cold morning I tested that fresh tank drain valve and after a 6" long ice cube dropped out, the water flowed fine. No trouble for me operating the valve that day still in freezing temps. Hope this is always the case, but I like the idea of a faucet sock.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffnCheri View Post

If you have a Coleman Mach A/C and have the AirXcel thermostat that looks like this one, They make a direct replacement that is Bluetooth so you could theoretically turn up the heat from the warmth of your bed!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xnip2021-03-05_16-55-44.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	32631
    Jeff and Debbie
    2021 Imagine 2250RK
    2015 Ram2500 Laramie CC 6.7 Cummins Diesel w/air-ride auto leveling
    USMC Veteran

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast