User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    I have had 3 clamps ooze water so far. I went and bought the expensive tool for installing the clamps. I just recrimped them. The leaks stopped. Every fitting I checked was not tight enough. Reading the instructions for my expensive new tool, it states that the tool will need perodic calibration. There is a special gauge and instructions on the procedure. My tool being new passed the gauge test.

I wonder how often the tool the factory uses gets calibrated?

Not saying that my leaks will not return..... But the clamps were for sure not tightened to spec.
    Good catch, but it's for sure not the sole reason that soft hose spoils so many owners' days.

It may even turn out that by tightening the clamps to their prescribed tension you may accelerate another common problem: the hose begins to expand and bulge at the clamp and in some cases has burst there.

I'm NOT saying it was a bad idea to re-clamp the fittings; just re-asserting that replacing the soft hose is a more-certain way of heading off future trouble.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Fireside Member Jefferson Beifuss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RickLight View Post
    A couple thoughts for those with limited electrical skills.

1. Wires will start a fire, not the batteries. Proper fuses and circuit breakers prevent that.
    2. Connections will heat first and bad ones heat at very low loads. Fuses and CBs don't help that. Take the time/money to do it right.
    3. Over sizing your wires is an investment in safety and efficiency.
    4. Vibration! Damaged insulation is pure trouble.

What did I leave out?
    5. Loose nut behind steering wheel.
    Jeff & Jean
    2015 GD Reflection 337RLS, Goodyear Endurance tires, JT Strongarm stabilizers
    2015 Ford F-350 SRW Lariat, w/ Sulastic spring shackles, Rancho shocks, airbag, 80 gal supplemental fuel tank, Curt Q20 hitch, Access rollup cover

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    It is interesting that these new batteries are 270ah. If you are willing to try a DIY project, you can get 4 280ah cells, plus a BMS for around $500 direct from China.

There are several YouTube videos showing the build of these 280ah batteries.

If I were looking for Lithium (LiFePo4) batteries today, I would definitely be looking at building a 16 cell, 24 Volt, battery bank that would give me 1,120ah for about $1,500, that is the equivalent of $11,000 worth of Battle Born batteries (11 BB batteries) for 90% less money.

A DIY battery bank is definitely the way to go to save money on LiFePo4 batteries.

Here is a Video explaining about the batteries I am talking about..

Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7rD7g51KEA&t=14s

If you watch his other videos he explains the build out process, there are other DIY builders of these batteries on YouTube as well.
    I just ordered a 170AH from Bigbattery for $979 as this is my first upgrading to lifep04 battery. If I'll need to add battery capacity in the future, I would go the DIY route and leverage the experience of the 170AH Bigbattery.

Fireside Member Jefferson Beifuss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    Yeah I'm not sure what size system I need. I need to do an energy survey. I'm going to assume that it's not practical to run AC units off of batteries, so I'll leave the genset for that. Other than that, we're talking the refrigerator, microwave, and other small appliances, as well as tv's, routers, laptops. I watched the video and I understand you can set the BMS to discharge and recharge within certain parameters to protect the batteries.

This certainly sounds like the way to go for massive cost savings. We plan on going to Alaska next summer so I have some time to spec out and build the system. I've got a LOT of learning to do. Thank God for websites and YouTube!
    For what it's worth, I just ordered another pair of Lion Energy 1300 batteries. Like the Holy Battleborns, they are iron phosphate lithiums, built in BMS, they are 105 amp hour rated. They just went on sale at Costco, so my cost per amp hour is down to $6.18/amp hour. I calculated those new Battleborn 270s at $10/37/amp hour. I'll probably stay with the Victron for the hybrid inverter and the rest of the electrical build out, but I could not see the need to stay married to the Battleborns. Ray, from Love Your RV, torture tested the Lion Energy batteries and they are local here in Utah (probably parts overseas).

Just more options.
    Jeff & Jean
    2015 GD Reflection 337RLS, Goodyear Endurance tires, JT Strongarm stabilizers
    2015 Ford F-350 SRW Lariat, w/ Sulastic spring shackles, Rancho shocks, airbag, 80 gal supplemental fuel tank, Curt Q20 hitch, Access rollup cover

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I just ordered a 170AH from Bigbattery for $979 as this is my first upgrading to lifep04 battery.
    Keep an eye on that battery when you get it. Not the same model as what you ordered but still...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=as276CYijUk
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson Beifuss View Post
    ...I just ordered another pair of Lion Energy 1300 batteries. Like the Holy Battleborns, they are iron phosphate lithiums, built in BMS, they are 105 amp hour rated.
    The Lion Energy UT1300 batteries are a good value when they are on sale. I bought two of them last year. But, what I find lacking is the battery post design. There isn't really any way to securely tighten the lugs. That isn't a huge problem when you only have one of them but I was expanding my battery bank and didn't want to risk loose connections when stringing six of them together. That's why I'm replacing them with two of the new "Holy Battleborn" 270ah models. Aside from the overall build quality of the BB and the use of cylindrical rather than prismatic cells, I really like the post design. You can crank down the lugs on the posts until you snap the bolt and it still won't have any affect at all on the internal structure of the battery. I'm not sure why other manufacturers aren't using this design. It's very simple. Maybe BB has a patent? I dunno.

I'm not slamming the UT1300's! They are an excellent alternative to the Battleborns when they are on sale.
    Last edited by bertschb; 03-07-2021 at 05:59 PM.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm trying to help based on likely not confuse with the unlikely.
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a wild hair today and decided to build a battery. I’ll be into it about $600 in parts and it will have 270 Ah of capacity. If it turns out well I’ll probably do a second one.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone try the 300 Ah CHINS off amazon

--> https://www.amazon.com/CHINS-LiFePO4...NrPXRydWU&th=1

Buddy of mine just did a 900Ah install with these and likes them.
    2021 F350 6.7
    2021 Momentum 353G

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rootusrootus View Post
    I got a wild hair today and decided to build a battery. I’ll be into it about $600 in parts and it will have 270 Ah of capacity. If it turns out well I’ll probably do a second one.
    Cool !!

I'm really interested to hear how this turns out.

Don't think of this as a "Wild Hair", think of it more as "Adventurous Camping".
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast