User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Batteries From Battle Born -- New Format -- 270 Amp Hours

Battle Born has introduced two new 12 volt batteries with 270 amp hours of storage.

One form factor is the 8d format often seen in large Class A Motorhomes, the other form factor is a tall and narrow battery they are calling the GC3, this form factor looks like it would be an excellent choice for a Van Conversion. It looks like the GC3 would fit nicely under the stairs in a typical 5th Wheel (that is where I placed my batteries).

The best part about these new batteries is that they are 270 amp hours in a single package. Both batteries look like they are physically smaller than 3 regular 100ah Battle Born batteries would be.

The 8d battery is $2,800 and the GC3 is $2,900.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Competition on form factor is heating up a little, perhaps. But not on price, they still want a mint for these.
    Current: 2021 Transcend 261BH, 2019 Ford F250 SRW SWB CC 6.2 - Picture
    Previous: 2016 Jayco X213, 2014 F150 EB 3.5

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rootusrootus View Post
    Competition on form factor is heating up a little, perhaps. But not on price, they still want a mint for these.
    It is interesting that these new batteries are 270ah. If you are willing to try a DIY project, you can get 4 280ah cells, plus a BMS for around $500 direct from China.

There are several YouTube videos showing the build of these 280ah batteries.

If I were looking for Lithium (LiFePo4) batteries today, I would definitely be looking at building a 16 cell, 24 Volt, battery bank that would give me 1,120ah for about $1,500, that is the equivalent of $11,000 worth of Battle Born batteries (11 BB batteries) for 90% less money.

A DIY battery bank is definitely the way to go to save money on LiFePo4 batteries.

Here is a Video explaining about the batteries I am talking about..

Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7rD7g51KEA&t=14s

If you watch his other videos he explains the build out process, there are other DIY builders of these batteries on YouTube as well.
    Last edited by SolarPoweredRV; 03-03-2021 at 06:15 AM.
    David and Peggy
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    Battle Born has introduced two new 12 volt batteries with 270 amp hours of storage.
    I ordered two of the new 270ah ("Gamechanger 3.0") GC3 batteries today. I was going to use six of their "regular" 100ah batteries mounted in the front storage compartment but these new models should fit behind the wall in the basement easier so I may try that instead.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    I ordered two of the new 270ah ("Gamechanger 3.0") GC3 batteries today. I was going to use six of their "regular" 100ah batteries mounted in the front storage compartment but these new models should fit behind the wall in the basement easier so I may try that instead.
    Did you use the Escapees discount?
    David and Peggy
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is interesting that these new batteries are 270ah. If you are willing to try a DIY project, you can get 4 280ah cells, plus a BMS for around $500 direct from China.

If I were looking for Lithium (LiFePo4) batteries today, I would definitely be looking at building a 16 cell, 24 Volt, battery bank that would give me 1,120ah for about $1,500, that is the equivalent of $11,000 worth of Battle Born batteries (11 BB batteries) for 90% less money.

A DIY battery bank is definitely the way to go to save money on LiFePo4 batteries.

If you watch his other videos he explains the build out process, there are other DIY builders of these batteries as well.
    Yeah, I'm not buying any Battle Borns. I respect what they're doing, and how it differs from the prismatic cells, but for my purposes the prismatic options are a better fit. I haven't decided between DIY, or paying a bit of a premium and getting a pair of SOK 206Ah for about $2000. For what we expect to use this trailer for, anything more is really just pissing away money for not much ROI.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those cells from Alibaba are amazing. It looks like they're to spec. Certainly $1500 is a lot more palatable. I need to figure out how to do this with my very limited knowledge of electricity. I don't want to electrocute myself or burn down my rig lol!!!

If you watch his other videos he explains the build out process, there are other DIY builders of these batteries as well.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    Those cells from Alibaba are amazing. It looks like they're to spec. Certainly $1500 is a lot more palatable. I need to figure out how to do this with my very limited knowledge of electricity. I don't want to electrocute myself or burn down my rig lol!!!
    One of the nice things about LFP is that they have a much lower inherent fire risk compared with lithium ion. Even so, my intent is to keep them up front on the tongue, in a metal battery box. Can't eliminate all risk, but I can make it safe enough. If you plan for a really big set of batteries, there may not be enough room on the tongue for all of them. My 'easy' plan is just to put a couple 206 Ah SOK batteries in the box, they're about the same size as a GC2 IIRC. That'll give me over 400 Ah, which is quite a lot.

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    That $1500 number was to install as big a battery as I currently have. Not everybody will need that big a system, but it certainly is nice to have. Sixteen cells would also be enough for a 24 volt system (essentially 4 12v, 280ah batteries tied together in a 2s, 2p configuration).

Building the battery is relatively easy, it is simply a matter of correctly tying the positive and negative terminals together in the proper sequence ( 4 LiFePo4 batteries make a 12v battery and the voltage is additive if you string the positive to negative together) it is really not any different than stringing two 6v batteries together to make a 12 volt battery.

If you use a recommended BMS (Battery Management System) the battery will be protected from over current and over discharge. You should look for a BMS that also has thermal protection to protect the batteries from being charged in cold weather.

You can look at several YouTube channels that are making these batteries to learn everything you need.

For the cost savings it really is worth the effort.

PS: to increase the longevity and safety of using these batteries you could limit the charge and discharge to 90% and 10% respectively. Consequently, you may want to purchase enough cells to build one more battery than you think you will need.
    David and Peggy
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would you have faith in the chemistry? The Chinese battery may cost one fifth the price, but if it needs to be replaced 3-4 times during the life of the Battleborn it wouldn't be worth it to me.

Not being argumentative - I don't know much at all about these larger lithium batteries. However I have experience over more than a decade buying cheaper Chinese alternatives to expensive lithium batteries for radios and cameras, and buying Chinese radios that come with Chinese lithium batteries, some of those latter ones within the past couple of years. With a few exceptions they've most often underperformed while working and in some cases stopped working sooner than batteries from reputable companies.

That's the bias I'd take into the experiment you propose. Can you talk me out of it?
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast