User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: san francisco

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The whole homeless and their refuse/garbage stuff is way overblown. If you stick to the tourist areas, it'll be just fine. Do not wear flip flops because yeah, there might be sharpies (not just needles) on the ground. It's a city with city issues. I would wear good walking shoes that have a fairly thick sole.

Car break-ins are a real issue. Ever since California passed proposition 47 that eliminates penalties for thefts amounting to $950 or less, petty crime has gone through the roof statewide. So leave NOTHING in your vehicle that looks valuable NO MATTER WHERE YOU PARK. Also guys, never put your wallet in your back pocket. Leave it in your front pocket where it's way more difficult for someone to pick. If you're really worried, keep $40 in bills wadded up so if you get accosted, give them that wad of money. But honestly that's really not likely to happen in broad daylight in a touristy area. Just don't go wandering down into some dark alley. Stay away from areas with public housing.

F250 crew cab is going to be too tall to fit in SF covered parking garages. OP might be able to find an outside lot with a space to accommodate his truck if he's lucky but that's a big chance to take. Again, I would prefer to leave the truck at the campsite, Uber it to public transportation, and take that into the city.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Avoid San Francisco at pretty much all costs. And that includes tourism. There Is a state beach campground in Half Moon Bay that you might be able to get into its a half-hour away and can hold about any size trailer. There is KOA down past pescadero on the coast that is nice but expensive also a rustic campground in pescadero, Memorial park, in the woods but you can only get about a 20 or 25' trailer in-and-out of that place. Also if you decide to go up into San Francisco Into the tourist areas such as the shopping district and the wharf or the Presidio keep in mind they average about 2000 car breakings A-day. There are so many that the police do not even respond or take reports for them anymore. Also you will want to download a couple of apps one is called the feci or Faecal matter app. And that will show where human crap has been spotted in the city, they actually pay people about a $100,000 a year to go out and count this, because They allow homeless people to Crap and pee in public now without any punishment, its quite the show sometimes. You will also want to download the hypo or The hypodermic needle app it shows where hypodermic needles are being found in the parks and on the streets. It has gotten so bad there, we lived there for over 20 years, that children and pets that go out and play in the parks have been coming home with hypodermic needle stuck in them. Be Very carefully there.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe the Alameda Co. Fairgrounds in Pleasanton, CA has an RV park. Pleasanton is a great town with an interesting downtown, wineries nearby in Livermore, etc. The fairgrounds are easy access off of I-680 and the Bernal exit. Also, the BART train goes to Pleasanton, so you could take the train into San Francisco. Pleasanton is pretty pricey but safe and comparatively lighter traffic (which will still be heavy). Try to arrive/depart with the trailer on a weekend; I don't recommend attempting to get in or out around rush hour.
    Last edited by GregTheLeg; 03-07-2021 at 10:54 AM.
    2021 Imagine 2400BH
    2018 F-150, 3.5EB, 6.5ft bed, Max Tow Pkg, Equalizer 4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GregTheLeg View Post
    I believe the Alameda Co. Fairgrounds in Pleasanton, CA has an RV park. Pleasanton is a great town with an interesting downtown, wineries nearby in Livermore, etc. The fairgrounds are easy access off of I-680 and the Bernal exit. Also, the BART train goes to Pleasanton, so you could take the train into San Francisco. Pleasanton is pretty pricey but safe and comparatively lighter traffic (which will still be heavy). Try to arrive/depart with the trailer on a weekend; I don't recommend attempting to get in or out around rush hour.
    The RV park at the fairgrounds is an EXCELLENT idea. I lived in Dublin/Pleasanton for a few years and stored my unit there. It's a good location to explore the area with a nice mountainous barrier shielding you from the yuck that is the bay area. The freeway south takes you to San Jose, the freeway west takes you to the East Bay and the bridges, the freeway north takes you to wine country. All nice day trips and has you sleeping in a much nicer and less stressful area.

2020 310GK - 2011 F350 SRW

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW
    On our way back from our Colorado 2 week vacation on the Harley in 2009 we swung thru SF. My wife had never seen the Golden Gate Bridge. Even back then the traffic was HORID, even riding the motorcycle.
    I spent 2 years of my Navy days in the Bay area (from '75 to late '77). It wasn't too bad then. Just tons of traffic.
    This info you are sharing just confirms my thoughts to never go south of Redding, CA unless we are on 395. What has happened to this state is just beyond me. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We live in the Bay Area. I would also recommend the Alameda County Fair grounds. Take Bart to San Francisco during day light hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    The whole homeless and their refuse/garbage stuff is way overblown. If you stick to the tourist areas, it'll be just fine. Do not wear flip flops because yeah, there might be sharpies (not just needles) on the ground. It's a city with city issues. I would wear good walking shoes that have a fairly thick sole.

Car break-ins are a real issue. Ever since California passed proposition 47 that eliminates penalties for thefts amounting to $950 or less, petty crime has gone through the roof statewide. So leave NOTHING in your vehicle that looks valuable NO MATTER WHERE YOU PARK. Also guys, never put your wallet in your back pocket. Leave it in your front pocket where it's way more difficult for someone to pick. If you're really worried, keep $40 in bills wadded up so if you get accosted, give them that wad of money. But honestly that's really not likely to happen in broad daylight in a touristy area. Just don't go wandering down into some dark alley. Stay away from areas with public housing.

F250 crew cab is going to be too tall to fit in SF covered parking garages. OP might be able to find an outside lot with a space to accommodate his truck if he's lucky but that's a big chance to take. Again, I would prefer to leave the truck at the campsite, Uber it to public transportation, and take that into the city.
    I worked for UAL @ SFO until 2007 don't remember these BIG CITY problems back then... Walking from BART station to Fishermans Warf and never felt in danger.... That said, I suggest anyone visiting San Fran read your comments carefully...
    2019 230RL Reflection ..... 1996 Dodge 2500 Cummins still pulling just as hard as the day I brought her home November 1995...3.6 Onan. 2 battleborns 300 watts solar, 1500 watt aims inverter....(Convictions are a far greater foe of truth than lies) {Nietztche}

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Blue View Post
    I worked for UAL @ SFO until 2007 don't remember these BIG CITY problems back then... Walking from BART station to Fishermans Warf and never felt in danger.... That said, I suggest anyone visiting San Fran read your comments carefully...
    Unfortunately most folks don't perceive the danger that is lurking about. I remember going to a musical at the Orpheum Theater on Market St. My wife wanted to walk back east on Market to our hotel at 3rd. It was a pleasant evening. So she's got this humungous Luis Vuitton purse with her. I told her "honey you'd better put that thing under your arm and try and hide what it is. Keep it between us". She didn't understand why. Well, my parents had a restaurant in that area and I'd worked there and watched all sorts of robberies and assaults happen before my very eyes. So I knew better.

Also the cable car turnaround at 5th and Market is a HUGE area for pickpockets. We used to get little inner city kids come to our restaurant and order takeout. When they paid, they'd whip out designer wallets with hundred dollar bills. Gee I wonder where they got the wallets full of money? Likewise I'd be careful at the cable car turnaround at Powell/Mason cable car turnaround.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=531 Half Moon Bay State Beach....
    2019 230RL Reflection ..... 1996 Dodge 2500 Cummins still pulling just as hard as the day I brought her home November 1995...3.6 Onan. 2 battleborns 300 watts solar, 1500 watt aims inverter....(Convictions are a far greater foe of truth than lies) {Nietztche}

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mecanik1975 View Post
    anyone find any good camp grounds in or near san francisco? my wife and i would like to take our trailer out there to see alcatraz and a few other things. how bad is it to get in and out of?

On the eastern edge of Oakland is Anthony Chabot regional park. I had reservations for last June for a 35’ Solitude. Then Covid hit. Looked like an excellent park in a eucalyptus forest. Near by freeway for getting in and out of San Francisco.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bay Area RV Park

We have stayed at the fairgrounds in Pleasanton several times. That is as close as you will get.

Quote Originally Posted by mecanik1975 View Post
    anyone find any good camp grounds in or near san francisco? my wife and i would like to take our trailer out there to see alcatraz and a few other things. how bad is it to get in and out of?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast