Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: san francisco

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

san francisco

anyone find any good camp grounds in or near san francisco? my wife and i would like to take our trailer out there to see alcatraz and a few other things. how bad is it to get in and out of?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2024 F350 cc sb lariat 6.7 powerstroke
    2021 imagine 2600rb

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mecanik1975 View Post
    anyone find any good camp grounds in or near san francisco? my wife and i would like to take our trailer out there to see alcatraz and a few other things. how bad is it to get in and out of?

I haven't done any research yet, but I did live in the Bay Area for a number of years. Personally, I wouldn't look for RV parks IN the city at all. Those streets there are not set up for trailers of any sort. Probably the same in the east bay.

I'd probably be looking in the Marin County area (north), and "commute" into the city to see the sights.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Word to the wise. Do NOT take your trailer into SF. Lots of one way streets, double parking everywhere, aggressive drivers, aggressiv meter maids, and mind numbing traffic. Do NOT stay at the RV park near Candlestick Point. That's where the old 49er stadium used to be. You take a wrong turn coming out of that place and you'll end up in the ghetto inside a one exit only low income drug infested housing development. I would stay well outside the city - somewhere south of South San Francisco. Then park your truck at a CalTrain parking lot and take the CalTrain into the city. It'll let you off at the 4th and King St, in the South of Market area of SF. From there you can Uber it to wherever you want to go, or you can take public transportation. Don't bother trying to drive and park in the city. The parking garages are super expensive. It's so much easier to just use Uber or a cab.

For the Alcatraz tour, you can get off the train at 4th & King. Then walk east on King right past the Giants baseball stadium, and then onto The Embarcadero. Just walk along the waterfront until you get to the Ferry Building. The Alcatraz Tours are right next door or right there at the Ferry Building. Be sure to spend some time noshing at the Ferry Building. There's a bunch of great eateries inside.

Bring warm clothes. The ride across the Bay is windy and can be chilly. It's best to layer your clothes because it can be cold to hot in the same day. If the fog rolls in, it'll happen sometime after about 4pm. But usually the waterfront area is pretty clear.

From the Ferry Building, it's an easy walk to the Fisherman's Wharf area.

Watch out for pick pockets if you wait for a cable car at the cable car turnaround.

If you have the time, it'd be fun to visit Golden Gate Park, the Steinhardt Aquarium, the DeYoung Museum, the Museum of Modern Art, and it's always fun to stroll down Union Street between Fillmore and Gough.

If you're at Fisherman's Wharf and you want to get to North Beach, you can walk up Columbus Avenue or Uber it. Make sure you grab a cappuchino at Cafe Trieste.

If you happen to visit the Castro area, there's a restaurant on Market, about two long blocks west of Van Ness. Have the whole Roast Chicken with baked bread and currants. It's awesome. They have a beautiful copper lined bar. Be careful walking around Market St. It's a rough area, especially around the United Nations Plaza.

Have fun! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I grew up in SF.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Campgrounds in the area are tight. The picture is a campground in Marin County North of the Golden Gate Bridge. We took the ferry into town.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC0E8649.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	32458
    2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thread moved to "Campgrounds, Destinations, and RV Trip Planning" from "Tires."

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    Word to the wise. Do NOT take your trailer into SF. Lots of one way streets, double parking everywhere, aggressive drivers, aggressiv meter maids, and mind numbing traffic. Do NOT stay at the RV park near Candlestick Point. That's where the old 49er stadium used to be. You take a wrong turn coming out of that place and you'll end up in the ghetto inside a one exit only low income drug infested housing development. I would stay well outside the city - somewhere south of South San Francisco. Then park your truck at a CalTrain parking lot and take the CalTrain into the city. It'll let you off at the 4th and King St, in the South of Market area of SF. From there you can Uber it to wherever you want to go, or you can take public transportation. Don't bother trying to drive and park in the city. The parking garages are super expensive. It's so much easier to just use Uber or a cab.

For the Alcatraz tour, you can get off the train at 4th & King. Then walk east on King right past the Giants baseball stadium, and then onto The Embarcadero. Just walk along the waterfront until you get to the Ferry Building. The Alcatraz Tours are right next door or right there at the Ferry Building. Be sure to spend some time noshing at the Ferry Building. There's a bunch of great eateries inside.

Bring warm clothes. The ride across the Bay is windy and can be chilly. It's best to layer your clothes because it can be cold to hot in the same day. If the fog rolls in, it'll happen sometime after about 4pm. But usually the waterfront area is pretty clear.

From the Ferry Building, it's an easy walk to the Fisherman's Wharf area.

Watch out for pick pockets if you wait for a cable car at the cable car turnaround.

If you have the time, it'd be fun to visit Golden Gate Park, the Steinhardt Aquarium, the DeYoung Museum, the Museum of Modern Art, and it's always fun to stroll down Union Street between Fillmore and Gough.

If you're at Fisherman's Wharf and you want to get to North Beach, you can walk up Columbus Avenue or Uber it. Make sure you grab a cappuchino at Cafe Trieste.

If you happen to visit the Castro area, there's a restaurant on Market, about two long blocks west of Van Ness. Have the whole Roast Chicken with baked bread and currants. It's awesome. They have a beautiful copper lined bar. Be careful walking around Market St. It's a rough area, especially around the United Nations Plaza.

Have fun! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I grew up in SF.
    tons of great info. thank you!

2021 imagine 2600rb

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only know the north side since my daughter lives there.

Olema Campground North of San Fran. It may be a drive in to the city but you are camping in the country. There is a KOA in Petaluma that is nice. If you are retired military the cost guard base has a small RV Park. Farther out is Santa Rosa Fairgrounds but last time I was there it was overran with FEMA evacuees from the fires.

Pickings are slim, I go see me daughter a couple a times a year and am glad she lives on the north side. We don't go in to the city but have towed through on 101, highly recommend not doing that.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We don't know what kind of truck the OP has since it's not listed in his/her sig. It's a bigger truck, the OP is not going to want to take it in to SF. It won't fit into the covered city lots, and depending on the outside lot, they may get charged up to double to park. Maybe if they get lucky and find street parking (really tough) or somehow find a lot that has spaces big enough (rare), then they could bring the truck to the city. But if the OP is not used to driving in really really tight environs then it's going to be a real PITA.

Also the North Bay doesn't have any good public transportation into SF unless you take Golden Gate Transit (bus) or the Ferry from Larkspur. Again, parking at Larkspur might be an issue as well.

That's why I suggested staying south of SF. Alternatively if they find some place in the East Bay near BART, they could just as easily ride BART into the city as well.

One other alternative is to just Uber it from whatever campground they're at to the nearest BART or CalTrain station.

Quote Originally Posted by ktnissen View Post
    I only know the north side since my daughter lives there.

Olema Campground North of San Fran. It may be a drive in to the city but you are camping in the country. There is a KOA in Petaluma that is nice. If you are retired military the cost guard base has a small RV Park. Farther out is Santa Rosa Fairgrounds but last time I was there it was overran with FEMA evacuees from the fires.

Pickings are slim, I go see me daughter a couple a times a year and am glad she lives on the north side. We don't go in to the city but have towed through on 101, highly recommend not doing that.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    We don't know what kind of truck the OP has since it's not listed in his/her sig. It's a bigger truck, the OP is not going to want to take it in to SF. It won't fit into the covered city lots, and depending on the outside lot, they may get charged up to double to park. Maybe if they get lucky and find street parking (really tough) or somehow find a lot that has spaces big enough (rare), then they could bring the truck to the city. But if the OP is not used to driving in really really tight environs then it's going to be a real PITA.

Also the North Bay doesn't have any good public transportation into SF unless you take Golden Gate Transit (bus) or the Ferry from Larkspur. Again, parking at Larkspur might be an issue as well.

That's why I suggested staying south of SF. Alternatively if they find some place in the East Bay near BART, they could just as easily ride BART into the city as well.

One other alternative is to just Uber it from whatever campground they're at to the nearest BART or CalTrain station.
    i drive a 2021 F250 crew cab lariat. i dont know how to add that info to my signature.

2021 imagine 2600rb

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Avoid San Francisco at pretty much all costs. And that includes tourism. There Is a state beach campground in Half Moon Bay that you might be able to get into its a half-hour away and can hold about any size trailer. There is KOA down past pescadero on the coast that is nice but expensive also a rustic campground in pescadero, Memorial park, in the woods but you can only get about a 20 or 25' trailer in-and-out of that place. Also if you decide to go up into San Francisco Into the tourist areas such as the shopping district and the wharf or the Presidio keep in mind they average about 2000 car breakings A-day. There are so many that the police do not even respond or take reports for them anymore. Also you will want to download a couple of apps one is called the feci or Faecal matter app. And that will show where human crap has been spotted in the city, they actually pay people about a $100,000 a year to go out and count this, because They allow homeless people to Crap and pee in public now without any punishment, its quite the show sometimes. You will also want to download the hypo or The hypodermic needle app it shows where hypodermic needles are being found in the parks and on the streets. It has gotten so bad there, we lived there for over 20 years, that children and pets that go out and play in the parks have been coming home with hypodermic needle stuck in them. Be Very carefully there.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast