Thread: san francisco

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rv location in San Francisco Bay area

Quote Originally Posted by mecanik1975 View Post
    anyone find any good camp grounds in or near san francisco? my wife and i would like to take our trailer out there to see alcatraz and a few other things. how bad is it to get in and out of?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you belong to Boondockers Welcome group there's a great location East of the city in the city of Fairfield called Bay Area Bliss . It's 1 hour to city of San Francisco. There's a Bart station 30 minutes away and you can catch the Ferry boat out of the city of Vallejo to San Francisco. This Boondockers Welcome location (Bay Area Bliss) is 30 minutes To Napa Valley and the home to the famous candy company Jelly Belly.
    Happy Trails

Fireside Member Jefferson Beifuss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckwilcox View Post
    A little tidbit for possible consideration - we stayed at San Francisco RV Resort last August. It's in Pacifica, on the coast, just South of the city. It's a place to just park your trailer and then tool around. Directly overlooking the ocean (no access though), but very tight, older place, freezing cold (yes, standard even for August), windy, and a little pricey. Look at the reviews. We used it as a stopover for a couple of nights on our way up north to the Russian River. I will say that the exit trip with our 30 ft trailer through the city was very easy. Highway 1 up through Golden Gate Park and across the GG bridge. After that, we pulled a Griswold and stayed on Hwy 1 to go to Muir Beach. Bad call. It was beautiful scenery, but not a road for a 50ft TV/TT combo.
    I think that the San Francisco RV Resort is probably as close as you would probably want to be to the downtown area with your rig. Great views of the ocean (yes, it's cold ALL the time, but beautiful!!), and day trip up to San Francisco with your TV to do whatever you want to do. Parking will be a hassle no matter how you slice it. Plan your tourist visits and have fun!
    Jeff & Jean
    2015 GD Reflection 337RLS, Goodyear Endurance tires, JT Strongarm stabilizers
    2015 Ford F-350 SRW Lariat, w/ Sulastic spring shackles, Rancho shocks, airbag, 80 gal supplemental fuel tank, Curt Q20 hitch, Access rollup cover

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try San Francisco RV Resort down in Pacifica. It's on a a bluff overlooking the Pacific and is very scenic. An earlier answer mentioned Cal Tran and that's the way to go for sure. There's a station not too far from the campground.
    2020 303RLS MorRyde 4000
    2021 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW 4x4
    14,000 GVW Auto Leveling
    B&W Companion3600

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retiree19 View Post
    Try San Francisco RV Resort down in Pacifica. It's on a a bluff overlooking the Pacific and is very scenic. An earlier answer mentioned Cal Tran and that's the way to go for sure. There's a station not too far from the campground.
    There's not much parking around the CalTrain stations. OP would be better off taking Uber to the station. BTW, look for CalTRAIN station, not CalTrans. It's literally a train station. The two nearest are in South San Francisco and there's another one in San Bruno.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be sure to get your Alcatraz tickets early through the National Park Service. Tours are sometimes booked days ahead of time

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update: I just got back after a 9 hour round trip to SF to visit my mom. I really hadn't gone in a while due to the whole covid thing. BEWARE!!! The city government in its infinite insanity has made things a whole lot worse for traffic!!! Three lane roads like Geary Blvd have now been made into two lane roads with the 3rd lane reserved for buses and taxis. Entire streets through neighborhoods are now blocked of Berkeley style. Right turn only and no left turns abound. In fact, I had a guy in a big van back up 50+ feet into my suv even though my horn was blaring the entire time. It looks like he got caught up in a right turn only lane (which used to be the #3 lane for traffic closet to the curb). The entire city is a morass of blocked off streets, cut off lanes, and marked off areas. Market St is no longer allows vehicular traffic.

Now I'm a guy who has been comfortable zipping around SF's one way streets, double parking, and no parking situation. I've done this my whole life. But these new restrictions have slowed traffic to a near stand still. There were back ups on nearly every block of Geary Blvd in the avenues. Everyone everywhere just sits at lights fuming because of the intrusive hand of city government.

Do NOT take your truck into the city!!!
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this is a old thread but wanted to mention there is a new park that just opened. It’s is just north of the the east bound entrance to the Dumbarton bridge off highway 84. It’s called Dumbarton Quarry Campground. Very nice place and they have a monthly rate as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234