User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie07 View Post
    Interesting... The specs are 581 lbs hitch weight, I understand adding propane tanks and batteries, but what would bring it to 900-1100 pounds?
    As @NB Canada - and many others - will tell you, the loaded tongue weight will be about 12% of the GVWR. If you load the trailer to its capacity, that would be 899 lbs. Have you plugged all the numbers into the calculator I gave you a link to in my response in #3 above?

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the comments. I’m considering a VW Touareg which has 7700 lb tow capacity, GVWR is 6305 lbs, GCWR is 14,021 lbs and payload is 1239lbs. And max tongue weight 770 lbs.

I would not want to max it out which is why I’d like to know what the true unloaded tends to be. Like, what the trailer weighs at the dealer.
    I have a '20 2500rl and my dry tongue weight was 638lbs. Loaded my axels are about 6500 and tongue weight about 975. (Without water). I dont think the vw will be a good choice for a tv for this one.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    No disrespect but why would it matter?

Some people bring bread makers and bags of flour to make bread while camping
    Some use plastic plates and cups. Others bring half a tool box
    The number could be anything but the number important is the 7495 limit because of the tires and axles

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    Good explanation
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the comments. I’m considering a VW Touareg which has 7700 lb tow capacity, GVWR is 6305 lbs, GCWR is 14,021 lbs and payload is 1239lbs. And max tongue weight 770 lbs.

I would not want to max it out which is why I’d like to know what the true unloaded tends to be. Like, what the trailer weighs at the dealer.
    You are more than payload capacity in that. We have the same model and average about 1900 lb payload on the hitch combined.

Most SUV ARE NOT designed to haul this size trailer as they have soft suspensions, small alternators, wrong transmission ratios no mater what the claim as towing ability or capacity. Tahoe’s both 1/2 ton or 3/4 are one exception. To achieve that lovely ride in the SUV is counter to hailing a 6-8000 lb trailer. Just look on the road. It’s rare to see someone other than a truck pulling a medium to large trailer. That should tell you something.
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the comments - those are helpful. While I think with the right WD and being careful with cargo weight etc etc, it would be okay, but being so close to the max is stressful and who needs that?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the comments - those are helpful. While I think with the right WD and being careful with cargo weight etc etc, it would be okay, but being so close to the max is stressful and who needs that?
    Exactly my philosophy. Besides I want something to bully the trailer in accident avoidance and wind vs the other way around.
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's one at 6220# on the sticker. https://www.trailerhitchrv.com/produ...0rb-1440166-29
    You can view the options and if yours is the same then 6220#'s would be real close.
    Most people add around 1,000 lbs to the trailer. 7220#'s.
    7220 x 12.5%=902#

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A payload of 1239 is light. My 2020 F150 has a pay load of 2066. You need to add your hitch, camper tongue weight, passengers and stuff you carry in the bed. I carry a generator, fuel for generator, satellite dish, extra water, tools, camping table/chairs and etc. I have a tonneau cover for the bed of my truck, running boards and fold down step whose weight must be included. Basically everything added to the truck not on the original invoice. To get true weights go to a CAT scale.

You can probably haul more than the listed weights, maybe safely/maybe not, but check with your insurance agent to make sure you are covered if weights are exceeded. My neighbor works for a major insurance company he says he knows of claims that have been denied because of exceeding the limits.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imagine 2500RL Weight

Quote Originally Posted by BigSam View Post

check with your insurance agent to make sure you are covered if weights are exceeded. My neighbor works for a major insurance company he says he knows of claims that have been denied because of exceeding the limits.

Could you ask your neighbour for some details?

People always make this claim but evidence to back it up is like finding a unicorn

Commercial? Recreational?

Blatant overage? 12000 lb 5er on a half ton or 300-400 lbs over gvwr?

I just can’t see it

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    Last edited by NB Canada; 03-11-2021 at 05:57 AM.
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Seasoned Camper more tired since retired's Avatar
    southern Georgia, where gnats rule the world
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dry weight mean nothing. The important figure is going to be the GVWR and the GCWR. We had a 2019 F-150 with 5.0L and 10 speed. The truck had plenty of power to pull but by the time we put it all together with a WD hitch and the 2600RB, we were getting right up to max payload. The combination would respond to any cross wind or semi "suck" on the interstate. The wife didn't like the ride and we decided to upgrade to a 2020 F-250 6.7L diesel. With a WD hitch, we've driven with a 35 mph cross wind and didn't realize there was a wind until we stopped to fuel. The ride is more comfortable, stable and the wife falls asleep during long drives.

Remember, safety MUST be the first concern. Will you be able to stop in an emergency? Will you get blown around by semis or winds? Will you step up in TT before you replace the tow vehicle? And understand, the amount of stuff you take will likely grow (more weight). Make sure you know what the GCWR is, not what some salesman tells you. Check out the vehicle manufacturer's web sites to see exactly what a vehicle is rated at, BUT also remember the more options you put on the tow vehicle, the less payload it can carry. And consider getting a max tow package to give you the greatest capability.
    2020 F-250 XLT SuperCrew 7.3L Blue Ox SwayPro, 2020 Imagine 2600RB,
    1600W Solar w/525AH LiFePO4, Victron 3000W, Road Armor w/wet bolt suspension, VisionWork Camera System, Peplink MAX BR1 Pro 5G Mobile Router,MicroAir EasyStart
    Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ FMCA#489460 Escapees SKP#166379

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast