User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp weekend warrior's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Input Needed on Basic Dry Camping Energy

Hey Everyone. I would like some input on what energy requirements I would need to dry camp in the Blue Ridge Mtns this summer for a few nights. I understand basic concepts of 12v vs AC power and how that relates to my rig, but I'm not very technical when it comes to amp hour requirements or other technical aspects.

We have a new Reflection 31MB we bought last fall with the single stock battery, nothing else.

I would plan to bring my generator (Honda EU2200i) but only use it limited and as needed, being mindful of the noise (even an inverter is not "quiet").

Here is how I would plan to manage our dry camping system:
    - No A/C (plan to camp in the mountains 2,000ft+ elevation where its shaded). Maybe use A/C from genny in middle of the afternoon if its really hot and we happen to be in the rig, but otherwise I wouldn't plan on needing A/C
    - Run ceiling exhaust fans on battery a few hours a day - when taking a hockey, and maybe at the end of the day to help cool the rig down before we go to bed.
    - Run water pump on battery the entire trip
    - Run lights only 3-4 hours a day, either early in morning or at night before bed
    - Run fridge on propane, however I know it still draws SOME battery power
    - Charge small electronics through USB charging ports
    - Run hot water heater on propane, only when we need hot water
    - If we need the microwave for something quick, we could use the generator for a quick cycle.

I am considering adding 2 deep cycle batteries in the rig for extra capacity (replacing the stock one), and charging those batteries 1-2x per day with the generator. I wouldn't be opposed to getting 1-2 solar panels for this task, but the campground I am looking at is very shaded...

Do y'all think that based on my needs stated above, having two batteries power our needs and charging daily with a generator is reasonable?
    2021 Reflection 31 MB
    2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 High Country SRW w/ Duramax
    Reese Goosebox 16k

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by weekend warrior View Post
    Hey Everyone. I would like some input on what energy requirements I would need to dry camp in the Blue Ridge Mtns this summer for a few nights. I understand basic concepts of 12v vs AC power and how that relates to my rig, but I'm not very technical when it comes to amp hour requirements or other technical aspects.

We have a new Reflection 31MB we bought last fall with the single stock battery, nothing else.

I would plan to bring my generator (Honda EU2200i) but only use it limited and as needed, being mindful of the noise (even an inverter is not "quiet").

- No A/C (plan to camp in the mountains 2,000ft+ elevation where its shaded). Maybe use A/C from genny in middle of the afternoon if its really hot and we happen to be in the rig, but otherwise I wouldn't plan on needing A/C
    - Run ceiling exhaust fans on battery a few hours a day - when taking a hockey, and maybe at the end of the day to help cool the rig down before we go to bed.
    - Run lights only 3-4 hours a day, either early in morning or at night before bed
    - If we need the microwave for something quick, we could use the generator for a quick cycle.

I am considering adding 2 deep cycle batteries in the rig for extra capacity (replacing the stock one), and charging those batteries 1-2x per day with the generator. I wouldn't be opposed to getting 1-2 solar panels for this task, but the campground I am looking at is very shaded...

Do y'all think that based on my needs stated above, having two batteries power our needs and charging daily with a generator is reasonable?
    Your plan is good except that generator wont run the AC.
    People keep telling me to follow my dreams...so I went back to bed

2019 303rls
    2017 GMC 2500hd ccsb 2wd 6.0 gas
    Andersen ultimate rail mount hitch

Setting Up Camp weekend warrior's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by avf100 View Post
    Your plan is good except that generator wont run the AC.
    Thanks.

Re: AC, I’ve seen YouTube videos of people with this generator running a 13k AC with the help of a MicroAir easy air soft starter. Thoughts?
    2021 Reflection 31 MB
    2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 High Country SRW w/ Duramax
    Reese Goosebox 16k

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't had any experience with the easy air soft start...so cant help you there.
    People keep telling me to follow my dreams...so I went back to bed

2019 303rls
    2017 GMC 2500hd ccsb 2wd 6.0 gas
    Andersen ultimate rail mount hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the same usage pattern, except for some added cpaps. I bet you get at least 2 days, maybe 4 before having to recharge completely. A couple hours of generator a day should keep up. Running the furnace would take a lot of power, so watch for that.
    Last edited by DarthMuffin; 01-31-2021 at 08:20 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cpaps can draw plenty depends on model and humidity feature . My dream station draws 100volts X 7 hours = 700 dived by 12 volts = 58 amps per night. 35 without humidity feature on.
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RV Sailor View Post
    Cpaps can draw plenty depends on model and humidity feature . My dream station draws 100volts X 7 hours = 700 dived by 12 volts = 58 amps per night. 35 without humidity feature on.
    That was me with the CPAPs, not the original poster. Yeah, they use a lot of power. Our two CPAPs with humdifiers on probably use twice the power of all the systems he listed combined. Usage like his, maybe 15Ah a day. With CPAPs, 40-45Ah a day.
    Last edited by DarthMuffin; 01-31-2021 at 10:37 PM.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by weekend warrior View Post

It also depend on how much you want to spend. Like others have said, you'll need a soft start to run that ac. A couple of solar panels won't hurt. You can get a suitcase style that you can deploy where there's sun. Adding another battery will also help. Make certain to get the same type and size. You could upgrade the batt to dual agm or dual 6volt or go lifepo4 if budget permits. You could flood your roof with solar.
    My plan, is to go with a suitcase style solar and lifepo4 battery. For me going lifepo4 means that i can move the battery inside and save on tongue weight. I can't go dual 6volts or dual group 27 as I'm already tight on payload.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are going to replace/add batteries, and LifePo4 batteries are not in the budget, then your next best option is a pair of 6 volt batteries. A pair of 6v batteries will get you around 225 amp hours of storage with about 50% usable. If you upgrade to four 6 volts, you would get 225 amp hours of usable storage. Based on your outlined use case this should keep you going for a couple of days even without using the generator.

One thing to keep in mind is to conserve energy at every opportunity, for example: only turn on your water pump when you are actually using it (same with water heater), this way you are not wasting the energy it takes to keep those devices in "standby" mode.

One other suggestion, before you take your trip, spend a week (or long weekend) at a campsite that has hookups, but don't use the hookups. Camp just like you plan to on your long trip and only plug into the shore power for as long as you would plan to run the generator (set a timer so you don't go over). This will let you know exactly how long you can run on batteries alone without "stranding" you out in the middle of nowhere with a dead battery bank.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthMuffin View Post
    That was me with the CPAPs, not the original poster. Yeah, they use a lot of power. Our two CPAPs with humdifiers on probably use twice the power of all the systems he listed combined. Usage like his, maybe 15Ah a day. With CPAPs, 40-45Ah a day.
    In order to use my cpap on my sailboat without running the house batteries down, I got a 12v power cord so I wasn’t needlessly using up amp hours running an inverter. I also turned off the heated hose and the humidifier. If I had guests onboard that had cpaps, that helped conserve a bunch of amp hours. I wired up a 12v outlet in the bedroom of our rv so I can run my cpap on 12v.
    Paul and Sue
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, GooseBox hitch
    2019 Ram 3500 Cummins CC SB

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast