Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2021 2500RL (first generation) pre-prepped solar wiring question

We purchased our 2021 2500RL last August, and it came pre-wired for solar (just the wire, no solar) with a junction box on the roof with 2 MP-4 connectors in it. I moved my 2 AGM batteries to the pass-through and now I'm installing 2 Renogy 175w solar panels. The controller is a Rich Solar 40 amp MPPT mounted on the rear wall of the pass-through.

There is a black cover mounted on that wall that has the words "SOLAR / INV LINE" printed on it. When I removed that cover there was a loop of what I think is 10AGW wire under it. What appears to be the incoming line comes out of the black plastic flex covering (on the ceiling of the pass-through) that runs from the front of the unit to the area behind the "universal docking station" cover. After removing the cover I see that the incoming line goes behind the black solar cover and loops back down the the bottom of the docking station, then goes toward the rear of the unit along with several other wires.

After kicking this around for a while I came to the conclusion that the wire coming in was coming from the roof, then going into the unit and probably being attached to the control panel somehow, for future inverter use. That's what I was thinking until I cut that line and found it has 12v DC going through it! Help! That doesn't make any sense to me, since my mental map (I called GD CS and they had no clue what I was talking about) had that line supposed to be inert until the solar panels were connected. I thought I could cut the line, attach the incoming end to the Pv posts on my controller, and basically not use the remaining line that goes further into the unit since we are not putting in an inverter at this time.

Can someone help me understand how to use those wires? I don't have a lot of test equipment to determine if the MP-4's on the roof are actually connected to the line I cut, or where the power in that line is coming from, etc. and I'm confused... My mental map is like Google Maps in the old days - all sorts of wrong.
    Last edited by ValKyrie; 03-03-2021 at 02:20 PM.
    2019 RAM Bighorn 6.4 Hemi
    2021 Imagine 2500RL
    Bella the chocolate Lab!