Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5th Wheel Driving Tips

We are scheduled to pick up our 337 on Friday.
    It is my first 5th Wheel. All previous have been TTs.

Any pulling tips from you experienced haulers?
    How much different do I need to drive to make turns or corners?
    How about backing up?

Thanks, Mike
    Mike & Pat Clawson
    Marty & Bucky (Welsh Corgis)
    2015 Grand Design Reflection 337 RLS #2813
    Titan Disc Brakes, Liberty Rider Suspension
    2005 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison
    Comfort Ride Hitch, 52 Gallon Titan XXL Fuel Tank, Banks Speed Brake, Firestone Air Lift Bags
    http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/...pst4uyouma.gif

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on your new Reflection!
    You will find the 5W a lot 'easier' to tow than a bumper pull.

The best thing I ever did when I started towing a 5W, was to go on youtube.com and watch several videos on 5W towing, backing, hitching, etc.
    You can just do a search on "fifth wheel towing/turning/backing/etc......."

K
    Ken & Wilma
    Central Maryland
    2014 Reflection 337RLS #439
    2011 F250 CC 4x4

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats. I also had a Travel trailer prior to FW. The biggest thing was the slight delay in FW reaction on turns. You must turn a little wider and when your backing up FW does not react as fast as travel trailer, when I turned the wheel TT would reacted almost immediately but on the FW it took a little while longer for it to start to turn.
    Hope this helps.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't have a lot (or any) towing experience, find a good towing trainer. We found a guy who used to be a CDL trainer- well worth every penny he charged (and saved us a bit on insurance, too!) Some things we learned:
    - Turns: your trailer will turn tighter corners than your TV. Make sure your body is past whatever you don't want to hit before you start your turn.
    - Find a good, unused block and just drive around it. Spend a half a day making left turns. Then spend the other half making right turns.
    - Figure out a signal system that the spotter and the driver both understand. Use it over and over until you are sick of it. The driver should always ALWAYS be able to see the spotter. If not, stop. That tells the spotter to get into a better position.
    - No matter how much you see here, you can't spend enough time practicing. (In fairness: we had never towed anything before, and now are towing a 42' 380TH behind the TV.)
    Ussuri Bruin (and his owners)
    2014 Ram Laramie Mega Cab 3500 DRW
    24K Pull-Rite SuperGlide Hitch
    2015 Momentum 380TH

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a change of attitude as soon as you move your fifth wheel. You're towing a very long rig, and it's going to take more concentration than just driving a truck.
    Be aware of everything that goes on around you--including watching your rear view mirrors constantly.
    Anytime you get into tight driving places, take it very, very slow. And watch for hazards 10-15 feet off the ground.
    Have someone with you that can be a second set of eyes. Make sure they yell "STOP!!!!" if there is a problem--not like my wife saying "You really need to think about watching that tree."
    Minimize conversations with others in your truck if they take away your concentration level. I prefer no grandkids in the truck when towing.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't forget about how much taller they are, I went form a 10'5" TT to a 12'6" 5th wheel. Short bed trucks, nice for parking, but pulling a 5th wheel going forward you could get into some sticky spots where camper and truck could meet if not careful. Sliding hitches are nice but need to be on level ground to deploy. Always remember the camper will track farther in then the truck around corners, and vis versa when backing up. Sliding hitch helps this some. Backing up SLOW, SLOW, is the key, if someone is waiting take your time, we all have waited! Backing left or right watch what ever set of tires you can see, pick your mark and drive them their. With this big camper you will not see behind you our blind side. Stop before backing up, get out see how much room you have. I have see where a guy backed in to his camping spot, didn't notice the picnic table was moved and tore off his sewer line. Not a good way to start vacation. Good luck with the new camper!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Practice a lot, find a big empty parking lot, get some orange cones and practice
    Turning, backing, how long it takes to get completely straight. you will get to know your marks on where to turn while using your side mirrors. Practice 3 point turns, so you know your limits on how shape you can turn without trailer hitting the TV. Practice with your spotters when backing so it is known when you can see them and when you can not see them. Find a commication system that works for you when backing. Just some suggestions. Hootie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for the tips so far. Keep them coming.
    Will be building up my courage this week.
    Mike
    Mike & Pat Clawson
    Marty & Bucky (Welsh Corgis)
    2015 Grand Design Reflection 337 RLS #2813
    Titan Disc Brakes, Liberty Rider Suspension
    2005 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison
    Comfort Ride Hitch, 52 Gallon Titan XXL Fuel Tank, Banks Speed Brake, Firestone Air Lift Bags
    http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/...pst4uyouma.gif

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of good advice here, Mike, don't stress it too much. Just be patient and take your time, you will adjust to the differences backing up easily. Once you get towing on the road you will see it is easier with a fifth wheel, no trailer sway from passing trucks. And hitching and unhitching is easier too, especially if you had a hand crank jack on you TT like I did.
    Enjoy and congrats on your 337!
    Scott and Jan Platt Ocala, FL
    Cameron(Son) & Chica(chihuahua)
    2014 Reflection 337RLS
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 4X4, Crew Cab, Dually, Diesel
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably one of the most important suggestions is practice! practice! practice!. Find a large dirt lot (you wont wear the tread off your tires as quick turning in dirt as compared to pavement) and back up while turning the RV both to your blind side and to your vision side. I like to set up cones about 50 feet apart in a straight line and serpentine back through them. Do it until you are sick and tired of doing it then do it some more. Remember when you are traveling you are tired at the end of the day when you have to get into a camping space so if you practice while you are tired you will know that it is possible. Most important, have fun and don't let it get the best of you. You will be surprised how quickly everything comes together.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast