User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shepstone View Post
    Hi guys, new poster here. The wife and I are looking at a 2021 Solitude 380FL tomorrow, we’ve been looking at pics, reviews and YouTube videos, so we are up to speed on the general layout and workings of the units but what has us concerned is that the AC’s aren’t true whisper quiet ducted like we have on our Open Range. It seems strange to see the big AC grills exposed on a high end unit like this. I suffer from chronic Tinnitus and can’t take a lot of constant loud noise. So my question is just how loud are these units? It’s still too cold up here in Ontario for the dealer to demonstrate them, and it’s unlikely that I can convince him to hook up to a 50 amp outlet anyway. Thanks!
    We find them both noisy, especially the main AC in the living area, but our "noisy" could be someone else's "quiet". Quite a few times we've opted to open windows and endure warmer temps in the trailer so we could turn off the roaring AC.

I recently did an inexpensive and easy mod to both ACs. The mod is based on a commercial product, and that commercial product is promoted in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ryWU-yZ-X4

Here's one of the videos devoted to a home-brew version of that commercial product, built with a bit of styrofoam sheeting, that does much the same thing as the commercial product for a fraction of the price.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Vhv_b-1zAk

(That isn't the video I watched, so there are others.)

I did the modification on two air conditioners in about three hours. I did it in the fall long after we needed AC, so I've only run them for about ten minutes after completing the work and only on fan. However the mod VERY significantly reduced the noise of both units, and it seems to have significantly increased the airflow from the racetrack vents in the ceiling. Others who have done this claim increases of 20%-40% in AC output but they haven't mentioned the noise decrease. I'm expecting to be pleased with this mod when we get back into air conditioning weather.

On another subject entirely...

I'm an Ontarian too. If your dealer is located near Orillia, I strongly advise you to prepare for and insist upon doing a VERY thorough pre-delivery inspection before you pay for your trailer. The dealer will present you with a long multi-page list of inspection items, every one neatly checked off, and ask you to sign it to confirm that you accept that the dealer has done that required inspection. Don't sign it.

From experience, I advise you to ask that the trailer be set up in a full-hookup situation (including 50-amp power) before you arrive to pick it up. Take the dealer's PDI list and check every one of the items yourself. Take some backup PDI lists with you - you can find many on the internet.

It will take hours to do the inspection. If you don't have a pretty good idea of what to look for, take someone with you who does. You may find, as we have twice with that dealer, that an AMAZING number of items "slipped by" during the dealer's claimed PDI. In the first six months we owned our current trailer it was on the dealer's lot for FIVE MONTHS getting "service" from them.

If we had instead found those problems before we paid for the trailer, it's a safe bet that they would have been much more interested in getting them fixed quickly and well.

Good luck.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think we probably have the same dealer, there’s something ‘lazy’ about them.. Good advice thanks. I’m also checking out the sound reducing devices that you have described.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AC noise is very subjective. Do I think the AC units on our 303 are loud...Yes. We tend to open the dump valves to initially cool the unit down. Once the rig is cooled, we utilize the bedroom AC ducted to the front when we are in the living area and vice versa when in the bedroom. No noise to speak of with the doors closed and keeps the rig cool.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12