User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Air conditioner noise level

Hi guys, new poster here. The wife and I are looking at a 2021 Solitude 380FL tomorrow, we’ve been looking at pics, reviews and YouTube videos, so we are up to speed on the general layout and workings of the units but what has us concerned is that the AC’s aren’t true whisper quiet ducted like we have on our Open Range. It seems strange to see the big AC grills exposed on a high end unit like this. I suffer from chronic Tinnitus and can’t take a lot of constant loud noise. So my question is just how loud are these units? It’s still too cold up here in Ontario for the dealer to demonstrate them, and it’s unlikely that I can convince him to hook up to a 50 amp outlet anyway. Thanks!

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can’t see an issue with running the ac. They can hook up power I am sure
    If not the ac at least the fans in the ac

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shepstone View Post
    Hi guys, new poster here. The wife and I are looking at a 2021 Solitude 380FL tomorrow, we’ve been looking at pics, reviews and YouTube videos, so we are up to speed on the general layout and workings of the units but what has us concerned is that the AC’s aren’t true whisper quiet ducted like we have on our Open Range. It seems strange to see the big AC grills exposed on a high end unit like this. I suffer from chronic Tinnitus and can’t take a lot of constant loud noise. So my question is just how loud are these units? It’s still too cold up here in Ontario for the dealer to demonstrate them, and it’s unlikely that I can convince him to hook up to a 50 amp outlet anyway. Thanks!
    First, welcome to the forums. It is a great place with lots of helpful and knowledgeable people.

In answer to your question, they are partially ducted. The grills are the return air. The cold air outlet is normally ducted through the "race track" ducting in the ceiling. I say normally because some models/locations (bedroom) can have the cold air dump directly from the AC to the room by opening the dump vent for faster cool down. Some models/location have the dump vents blocked for more efficient cooling. In either case, with the race track duct you can use one AC (say the bedroom) to cool off the other end of the trailer (say the living area). The AC units are on separate thermostats. We often run the bedroom AC during the day and run the main AC at night. If it is fairly warm/hot out I will usually set the two ACs about 2~4 degrees different, and use one as "primary" and the other as secondary. Swapping which is which between day and night.

Only you can answer what is to loud or an annoying frequency for you. You should not run the AC at low temp. I have been told it is hard on the compressor motor. However, there should be no problem running the circulating fan at any temperature, and it uses much less current (i.e. easy to run on a simple 15A circuit). In our unit, almost all of the noise is from the fan. I find our AC (two Coleman Mach15 AC units) are not objectionable, my wife an I can easily have a conversation in the same room as a running unit, but they are not silent either. One thing to note; with the pandemic, many components are in short supply and all of the manufactures are substituting what they can get. If you order a unit, you many get a different brand or model of AC (or any other component) from what you see in a unit on the lot.

Hope this helps

Chris
    Last edited by CoChris; 03-03-2021 at 09:10 PM.
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve never been in any type of RV or sailboat where the air conditioner was a silent as a house. You may have to change your expectations. Some may be due to the duct size.

That being said, some are louder than others. As was said it’s the fan you hearing. Some of the Ouse is also the resistance of the air forced into the very small ducts.
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know how many AC units that rig has, but we have two (yes, even on our little 5th wheel). That way we can run the one in the bedroom while we're in the living room, and vice versa. Makes it much easier to watch TV without the AC in the living room running.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am comparing our current Open Range fifth wheel to the previous one which was a 2015 cougar 28sgs (lemon) the ac noise level between the 2 was night and day. It just surprised me that I would see an exposed ac like the cougar had in a beautiful rig like a GD Solitude.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am comparing our current Open Range fifth wheel to the previous one which was a 2015 cougar 28sgs (lemon) the ac noise level between the 2 was night and day. It just surprised me that I would see an exposed ac like the cougar had in a beautiful rig like a GD Solitude.
    It's because you lose a lot of efficiency with remote ducted returns like you have now. Up to 20%. There us only 5 to 8 decibels difference between what you have now and the racetrack ducted system with Coleman air units that the Solitude uses.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your opinion may be different but we think they are quiet. Especially when the cold air dumps are closed so they use the ducting. If I was at the RV now I would let you know the dB level with an app on my phone. Perhaps someone who is at their RV could do that for you.
    2019 Ford F-350 Limited
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Shepstone We have the 2020 Solitude 372WB and find the air-conditioning noise totally tolerable compared to our prior RV units. I can actually sleep in the bedroom with the air running on low cool. I could never do that with our prior rv units. Is it house quiet? No, but then none are. Overall I think you will be happy with your choice. Grand Design makes a good product IMHO. Safe travels!
    2020 Solitude 372WB
    2017 F350 Superduty 4x4, Heavy Duty Tow Package
    2900 Superglide Hitch, MORryde Rubber Pinbox
    Zinny, Golden Retriever (rescue)
    Belle, Golden Retriever (rescue)

"Life With a Dog is a Gift"

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard (no pun intended) that the Furrion units are quieter than others. Ours has a Furrion, and we are pleased with the low noise level, but we are comparing to our prior older trailers with mostly ductless units.
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast