User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FURRION Microwave Convection Oven Woes

I have a 2018 GD Reflection 303RLS. I'm the second owner, having purchased it in late 2019. Several days ago, the Furrion microwave-convection oven just quit working. No lights. I removed the vent cover to reveal the electronics compartment. I removed the cover to that compartment, then removed the fuse, which had blown. I went to Home Depot, bought a pack of 20A fuses then replaced the blown fuse. Voila! Microwave up and running again.

But then a few hours later, when I opened the door of the appliance, the fuse blew again. This happened 3 more times in the next 24 hours when opening or closing the door of the appliance. When I contacted Furrion and had an online chat with one of their CS reps, I was told that I should replace the microwave. WHAT?!!! After 3 years in an RV that is used a few times a year, this appliance craps out??? I've owned 6 other RVs in my 68 years of life and never had a microwave go bad in any of them. I've owned microwaves that lasted 10 years or longer! Of course, none of them were made by Furrion.

An online search revealed that many people have had this same issue. Any folks here dealt with it?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had the same issue just over a year of ownership and is a known issue, I am sure others will respond. Since it was still under warranty GD had Furrion replace it under warranty, sending a new microwave to the mobile RV tech, we used.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainMimi View Post
    I have a 2018 GD Reflection 303RLS. I'm the second owner, having purchased it in late 2019. Several days ago, the Furrion microwave-convection oven just quit working. No lights. I removed the vent cover to reveal the electronics compartment. I removed the cover to that compartment, then removed the fuse, which had blown. I went to Home Depot, bought a pack of 20A fuses then replaced the blown fuse. Voila! Microwave up and running again.

But then a few hours later, when I opened the door of the appliance, the fuse blew again. This happened 3 more times in the next 24 hours when opening or closing the door of the appliance. When I contacted Furrion and had an online chat with one of their CS reps, I was told that I should replace the microwave. WHAT?!!! After 3 years in an RV that is used a few times a year, this appliance craps out??? I've owned 6 other RVs in my 68 years of life and never had a microwave go bad in any of them. I've owned microwaves that lasted 10 years or longer! Of course, none of them were made by Furrion.

An online search revealed that many people have had this same issue. Any folks here dealt with it?
    I fixed mine (and others have as well). It kept blowing fuses. Turns out, it is designed to blow the fuse IF the microwave does not stop when the door to the microwave is opened. The bottom line is, the bracket that houses the shut off switches wears, and the microwave will by default blow a fuse.

Go to this thread and watch the video, order the part off amazon. It is a pretty easy (15 min, 1/2 hour) fix.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...-for-microwave
    2021 Solitude 310GK
    2021 F350 DRW 4x4 CC XL 176" WB 6.7L PSD

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You’re fortunate that it happened while still in warranty. But if it’s another Furrion product, it will probably have the same issue. ☹️

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That’s very helpful! Thanks so much. Will watch video this evening and see if I can fix the thing.
    I wish GD would use a different maker for Convec/microwaves.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update:
    So because of travels, I haven’t ordered the replacement part yet. (I’ll do that when we get home next week.) So, as a temporary solution, after putting in my last new fuse, I tried simply lifting the door handle slightly until the light comes in inside the microwave. Then I pulled the door straight out. No shorting out! Heated a cup of water for 30 seconds, then I lifted the door handle and pulled straight out to open the door. No shorting out. Microwave worked.

So, by lifting the door up (and away from the contact points on the bracket) and pulling straight out, you can prevent the fuse from blowing. I put a sign on the door as a reminder!

But when I get home I’ll do a proper repair (replace the bracket)!

Thanks to everyone who responded to my original question. Everyone was helpful.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beware...changing the switch plates is a temporary fix. We did on ours and it only lasted 3 months then started blowing fuses again. Looking for a replacement that will fit that is NOT Furrion. Terrible customer service and inferior products at high end pricing. I hope GD finds a better appliance company.