Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winterizing Opinion

Hello all, new member here.

The new 321BH we have will be our 4th RV owned so we are experienced. So we have always winterized our campers with RV antifreeze. Just wondering opinions on using the blow-out method of the water lines and system vs using the antifreeze method. Do some people do just one method or both and any reasons for that decision. Thanks.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winterizing Opinion

Quote Originally Posted by grandcamper2021 View Post
    Hello all, new member here.

The new 321BH we have will be our 4th RV owned so we are experienced. So we have always winterized our campers with RV antifreeze. Just wondering opinions on using the blow-out method of the water lines and system vs using the antifreeze method. Do some people do just one method or both and any reasons for that decision. Thanks.
    I do both

When we are packing up from our last trip of the year I pull the plug on the heater and open the low point valves then open up all the taps and drive home

When time to winterize I blow the lines at 55-60 psi then pump antifreeze to fill
    I then open the low point drains and drain out the antifreeze
    It gets cold here and although it may not cause damage but that antifreeze freezes somewhat

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply. So you empty out the antifreeze via the low drain points then close it down for the winter correct?

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply. So you empty out the antifreeze via the low drain points then close it down for the winter correct?
    That is what I do

I make sure I get a good flow of dark pink from every outlet including the toilet then drain it

I don’t see the point in having the lines full of any liquid including antifreeze

I use lots of pink but it is dirt cheap

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you leave any antifreeze in the gray and black tank or drain that as well? I have always left some in there.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you leave any antifreeze in the gray and black tank or drain that as well? I have always left some in there.
    Yes. As I am ensuring a good flow of pink from both hot and cold lines it is filling the traps and tanks
    That I leave till spring

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We also do similar. Canadian winters can be harsh. Our dealer recommends to drain, then blow (I do 40psi) then antifreeze then blow again. On that last step I close the grey and black gates. Then I pour 1 to 2 cups of antifreeze in the sink drains for the traps. To overflow of antifreeze goes in the tanks which should help to keep the gates from drying out. The reason for blowing a second time is because sometime the antifreeze just mixes with the water. Leave all faucets open. Dont forget to blow out the black tank flush.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve tested the anti-freeze before using it. I put a small plastic container in the freezer and checked it a week later. While it did freeze, it did not expand. That’s what is important. It doesn’t matter if it freezes, but it breaks things if it expands.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't indicate where you live, so my opinion may not apply. Here in So NV, the lows rarely get below freezing, and even then, only for a couple of hours in the middle of the night. Not sufficiently cold long enough to freeze water in the lines. All I do is drain the water heater (and check the annode while I'm there), open the low point drains and open the faucets, relieve the pressure on the commodes, then blow the lines with air. I leave all the faucets open during winter storage. One funny note though, last spring when I was prepping the RV for it's first outing, I hooked up a water hose and turned the water on to flush out the lines and start filling the water heater. With the faucets open, water would just flow into the sinks and shower so no big deal, right? Then I noticed water pouring out of the garage. It then dawned on me... I left the W/D water valves open. Fortunately, they are in the garage and the floor is rubber. Needed to wash the garage floor anyway...

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another "do both" opinion here. One reason is that, after blowing out the lines, when I flow antifreeze into them there's still a LOT of water pushed out of the fixtures by the antifreeze. Blowing out only blows out enough water to let the air get by it, so it leaves pockets of water at you-don't-know-where in the system.

There are people who have reported that they just blow out and have never had a problem. For another 10-15 minutes and $10-$15 for antifreeze it doesn't seem to me to be worth the risk of a broken something and the mess it might cause.

Good luck with your choice.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch