User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ford F-150 Towing Capacity with Imagine XLS 22MLE

Hello, I am new to this forum since my wife and I just ordered an Imagine XLS 22MLE. I have a question about towing capabilities. In anticipation of ordering the Imagine Travel Trailer, we placed an order for a 2021 Ford F-150 truck with SuperCrew Cab, 3.5L Ecoboost V6 engine, Lariat model, 5.5' bed, Topper, and Max Tow Package. I am now concerned that I might have ordered an inadequate truck. The payload limit on the truck seems to be around 1,500 lbs which might be less than the combined weight of the 22MLE tongue, 2 passengers, and cargo. Are there any persons out there who are towing this camper with the same truck? Thank you in advance for your responses.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the group future 22mle owner. You'll be fine. We tow with the 2.7 EB tow package with payload of 1426. We are close to our limits but within but we still have to be careful. It just DW and I. When loaded for a trip, 1/3 fresh water in the tank, geny and beer cooler in the back with some basic tools our tw is at 760 and tt is at 6000. I find our rear end a little bouncy on rough roads so I'm planning on adding the RAS to help out with that and LT tires when our current ones are due to be replaced. If its not too late, get the towing mirrors.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh and don't cheap out on a good WDH. I have the Husky CenterLine. It works as advertise but a little noisy on slow tight turns. Some have good success with the Blue Ox and Anderson. Advantage with the Anderson isbits only 60lbs which will help with your tw.

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also check out the True Tow from Weight Safe. Very interesting. It adds about 1 feet to the length but at least you can open your tailgate fully and adjust the wdh on the fly.

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The issue is with the options

I have a lot of payload because I don’t have a ton of extras on my truck
    I have a sedan to take if we are just travelling somewhere. It still is an SLE so it has power windows and all that but no sunroof or leather or power seats
    All those things kill payload quick
    Maybe consider a less equipped truck. It is possible to have payloads over 2000

But I do agree I think it is still adequate as has been mentioned with a quality hitch

Welcome and good luck

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the "Cult". Great two people rig.

Can't help with the truck. I pull with a Chevy.
    Robert and Chris
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2024 2500HD Silverado 6.6L gas
    Blue Ox Sway Pro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm towing the 22MLE with a 2020 F-150 SuperCrew XLT 3.5 Eco with Max Tow. My payload is 1819. My buddy has almost your exact truck (no tonneau cover) and has a 1700 payload.

I haven't convinced my wife to pack up just to hit the cat scale yet so I can't give solid numbers, but my spreadsheet estimates show me with about 220 lbs of spare payload. This is with an estimated tongue weight of 899 lbs (including Blue Ox SwayPro WDH) and 700 lbs of passengers and cargo in the truck. Whenever I do make it out to the scales I'll update with all the real numbers, but that's probably not for a few weeks.

Anecdotally, it tows pretty well. The 3.5 continually impresses me. I towed in 20+ MPH winds last weekend and, while it wasn't the most comfortable drive I've ever had, I never felt unsafe. Of course I rarely go more than a few MPH over 60. In non-windy conditions everything feels very solid.

All that said, if money wasn't a limiting factor, I would probably have chosen a 3/4 ton diesel for the option to move up to a bigger trailer at some point and the exhaust brakes.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Johnny Trails; 03-04-2021 at 11:09 PM.
    2020 F-150 4x4 SuperCrew 3.5L V6 EcoBoost
    2021 Grand Design 22MLE Imagine XLS
    Blue Ox SwayPro WDH

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on your soon to be 22mle!

Here are our numbers from the CAT scale last June, 2020 and have added a little since then so I’m going to round the numbers up:
    Tongue weight 700 (12.5%)
    Trailer weight 5600

This includes one Group 24 dealer installed battery, both propane tanks ~2/3rds full, Andersen WDH at a little less than 60lbs total, no fresh water in the tank. We have been camping for a long time and have learned to pack light by not bringing more than we need and buying light weight items for the things we do need. It’s just two of us.
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 2014 EcoBoost 4x4 5 1/2foot bed, with a payload of 1900lb and a the tongue weight of our trailer was 550 lbs. The trailer at the time was a Crossroad, with a weight of 5300 lbs. Est 900 lbs loaded in the trailer. Pulled it over 25000 miles with no problem. I had the same concern.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to everyone for your insights. As a result of your advice, I eliminated some of the options on the F-150, such as a topper and deployable steps, to reduce the weight. I also specified LT tires which are each rated for 3,400 lbs. I did order the telescoping and folding tow mirrors, as suggested.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast