Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Towing my new 17MKE

We just purchased a new 2021 17MKE and we are so excited! I have a 2019 Nissan Frontier SV with the 4.0 liter V6 which I will try to tow it with. My owners manual says I can tow up to 6720 and I have a payload of 1286. My hitch capacity is 650. The 17MKE weighs 4674 dry with a maximum of 6395 and an empty tongue weight of 480 . It's just my wife and I. I have purchased and will use an Andersen WD hitch, which comes highly reviewed. We have loaded the trailer and truck as we would for camping. I then drove it to a Cat Scale and got it weighed. Gross weight for all was 9900 lbs (front axle 2260, rear axle 2860, trailer axles 4780). This does not include my wife and a few more lbs of gear. I took the freeway about 30 miles round trip to the Cat Scales. Feels pretty good. I will know more when I take her for a practice camping trip (about 200 miles round trip) next week. Anybody else towing a 17MKE with a mid sized truck? Any comments?

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome and have fun

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you make two passes on the scale to calculate your tongue weight? Loaded, the tongue weight of the 17MKE will be around 750 lbs. (12% of the GVWR). Get all of the numbers for the trailer and tow vehicle and plug them in here:

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-...eight-tt.shtml

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Solid numbers. Would love to know your truck’s empty weight and the weights without the WDH to see what the new 17s are doing for tongue weight. Sounds better distributed for a comfortable tow.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will be interested to hear how your trip goes. I am looking at the 17MKE and would be towing with a 2020 Ford Ranger. Specs are pretty close to yours except 7500# tow rating. I have owned 3 trailers ranging in GVW 5000 to 8000 and towed with both a F150 and F250 using a Hensley hitch. I will say that size does matter ...F250 never noticed any of the trailers...that is the reason I am a little slow on pulling the trigger on the 17MKE. Want something small, but with quality of the 17MKE. Safe Trip...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would also like to hear about your towing experiences. I have a 2019 Ford Ranger and am looking at the Imagine XLS 17MKE. I feel like my ranger should be able to handle this, but I am new to this and would like to hear from someone who has actually done it with a Ford Ranger.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SSchneider View Post
    I would also like to hear about your towing experiences. I have a 2019 Ford Ranger and am looking at the Imagine XLS 17MKE. I feel like my ranger should be able to handle this, but I am new to this and would like to hear from someone who has actually done it with a Ford Ranger.
    My suggestion would be to post the question on a Ford Ranger page as well
    Likely hundreds of them on FB

Might be a quicker response

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Towing a17MKE with a 2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR LB DC that has been flashed with a custom tune via VF Tuner to about 300 hp on regular gas. Fastway E2 8000 lb WDH. Have been over 4th of July pass in Idaho. Towed up to Priest Lake ID and several other spots in Eastern Washington. Can I tell it’s back there? Yes. Keep it under 65 and take your time. It pulls it fine. Everyone’s comfort level is different. Let me know if anyone else wants more details.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great info, I'm looking to buy the 17MKE also, towing with a 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport. It will only be myself solo for now, and I know I won't have a lot of cargo in the trailer, so thinking this would work fine with a WD hitch. I just really like the quality and storage in the Imagine 17MKE. Happy Camping, let me know how your towing experience went on your latest trip. Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am also towing with a 2020 Ford Ranger with the factory tow package. My wife and I have ordered a 17MKE which is due in a bout 4 weeks. I would like the added safety of a WDH and sway management but really struggling to know what WDH work well on the MKE and what size to purchase. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast