User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are in Central FL and full-time in our 5th wheel. Central FL is notorious for quick changes in weather as I'm sure you know but its also hot in the Spring/Summer. We have the 2 piece sun shade for our awning and its a life saver on hot sunny days. Like many others have stated the awning is not very strong and I've seen many broken or ripped off by the wind. Our awnings are only out if we are home, that's our rule. Even if we go for a walk or bike ride around the park we roll up the awnings. The extra trouble is worth the peace of mind.
    Tom & Misty - Dover, FL
    Gracie, the Black Lab 🐶
    2020 Solitude 344 GK-R
    2018 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 6.7L Cummins CC/LB/DRW

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I solved the problem only time I take everything down is threat of extreme high winds! I did attach a photo but I don’t know how!
    There are several RVs here with the same tie downs, 5 years, haven't failed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1299.jpeg 
Views:	19 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	32635
    Last edited by 2150michael; 03-11-2021 at 10:33 PM. Reason: correction

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverado333 View Post
    Good Day!

We have been living on our Imagine 2670MK pretty much full-time since July 2020. That includes a cross country move from Seattle area back to our home in central Florida. We are still living on our RV while our sticks & bricks gets a facelift - now entering its 3rd month.

My question is related to our awning - which we rarely use due to concerns with winds. We recently purchased one of the mesh screens, to sort of enclose the awning on the 20' length side. I also have the straps which gets screwed into the ground and help secure the awning. My question is - at approximately what wind speed should I decide to remove this set up and roll in the awning? We're in Florida and headed into the rainy season. It can also get pretty breezy here.

I watch the other folks and some seem to leave their awnings out, even in pretty gusty days, while others tear down and roll in the awnings. Of course these are Class A's, 5th wheels and TT's like ours, of all different makes and models.

I just want to get an idea of whether its worth my time to go to the trouble to install all this stuff. It seems a pain to install it all, if I'm only going to have to remove it hours or a day or two later. I'd like to see what others do, that have these setups?

Finally, do I really need to remove that screen?? Or, can it be rolled up inside the awning when I bring it back in?

Thanks!
    Steve

We are seasonal travelers in our Solitude ST310. We make it a firm practice to never leave the RV site with the Awnings out. Support/tie-down straps extend the wind resistance but we don't use them so we can easily retract them. Additionally, the auto-retract feature seems to operate differently between the two awnings. The living room awning seems much more sensitive to auto-retract than does the front awning. These things are too expensive to take the chance of being ripped apart, which they can easily do. I would say 10 mph wind is typically the maximum go-no-go point.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. As others have said, we NEVER leave the awnings extended when we're not present.
    2. Since many campgrounds prohibit driving stakes into the ground, I use a one-gallon jug filled with water (sitting on the ground) attached with straps (Carefree #901011 ) that slide into the slot in awning roller tube. This prevents the awning from flapping in a light breeze and gives us time to retract them if the wind picks up.
    Bob and Joanne
    2021 Reflection 315RLTS
    2020 F-250, Crew Cab, Short Bed, 7.3 Gas, 4x4
    20K Weigh-Safe hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverado333 View Post
    Good Day!

We have been living on our Imagine 2670MK pretty much full-time since July 2020. That includes a cross country move from Seattle area back to our home in central Florida. We are still living on our RV while our sticks & bricks gets a facelift - now entering its 3rd month.

My question is related to our awning - which we rarely use due to concerns with winds. We recently purchased one of the mesh screens, to sort of enclose the awning on the 20' length side. I also have the straps which gets screwed into the ground and help secure the awning. My question is - at approximately what wind speed should I decide to remove this set up and roll in the awning? We're in Florida and headed into the rainy season. It can also get pretty breezy here.

I watch the other folks and some seem to leave their awnings out, even in pretty gusty days, while others tear down and roll in the awnings. Of course these are Class A's, 5th wheels and TT's like ours, of all different makes and models.

I just want to get an idea of whether its worth my time to go to the trouble to install all this stuff. It seems a pain to install it all, if I'm only going to have to remove it hours or a day or two later. I'd like to see what others do, that have these setups?

Finally, do I really need to remove that screen?? Or, can it be rolled up inside the awning when I bring it back in?

Thanks!
    Steve
    We use the screens with the zipper so you do not have to remove them from the awning or stakes in ground when retracting the awning. It takes less than a minute to unzip them. I never leave the awnings out unless we are there to bring them in if needed.
    2019 Ford F-350 Limited
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE, and like others on this post we do not leave the awning out when we leave the trailer. We do adjust the awning depending on the wind. We have had fairly stiff winds where we have the awning out only about 2-3 feet with no problem. This is to give us a little protection from rain when entering and leaving the trailer. Also when the wind is under 15 mph or so we have had the awning out maybe 6-8 feet with one of the ends pulled down so the wind doesnt get under the awning. Key is to minimize the surface area of awning exposed to the wind. Never have it all the way out on windy days or when u r not at the trailer. But it doesnt have to be all out or all in. You can adjust how much awning you have out based on the how much wind u r having.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123