User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hooking up a 5th wheel with broken arm

Hello All. Our Reflection 260XD comes in next week and last week I slipped on the ice and broke my left wrist (I'm right handed). Do you think it's possible to hook up - at the dealer and at a campground - with one good / one bad hand? We had a class C for 3 years and I think I could have managed even with a toad but have no idea about a 5er. The dealer will let me keep it on their lot for a few weeks if I have to. Thanks for the help.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the hard part would, depending on type of hitch, would be engaging the locking mechanism/pin and attaching the break away wire. I know on my 399, I would stand on my tires to do that. Havent hooked up my 311 yet, and this time I'm using a Goose Box, so I'm not sure what my preferred method will be.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I think you would be OK. You can only reach one hand in to the release lever anyway. Just bring something to stand on to reach the hitch release lever. I have a wheel step that I use to reach the hitch release. Makes it a lot easier when reaching into the bed of the truck. https://amazon.com/Powerbuilt-Foldin...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT ROC View Post
    Personally I think you would be OK. You can only reach one hand in to the release lever anyway. Just bring something to stand on to reach the hitch release lever. I have a wheel step that I use to reach the hitch release. Makes it a lot easier when reaching into the bed of the truck. https://amazon.com/Powerbuilt-Foldin...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
    I agree with the above, We use one of those folding plastic steps to reach into the truckbed.

Here is the step we use: https://www.amazon.com/Plastics-101-...914587&sr=8-40
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jdux999 View Post
    Hello All. Our Reflection 260XD comes in next week and last week I slipped on the ice and broke my left wrist (I'm right handed). Do you think it's possible to hook up - at the dealer and at a campground - with one good / one bad hand? We had a class C for 3 years and I think I could have managed even with a toad but have no idea about a 5er. The dealer will let me keep it on their lot for a few weeks if I have to. Thanks for the help.
    You broke the correct wrist... good planning.

As other's have noted, managing the hitch lock and brake cable are the toughest things. The release lever on the truck's hitch and the trailer's emergency brake cable are both typically on the driver's side; I reach mine with my right hand.

Most of the rest of setup and takedown should be doable with one hand. If you have solid-step stairs that fold out of the doorway, those might be your only other challenge; awkward but not impossible.

I wouldn't give up weeks of camping for your broken left wrist. Have a good trip.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slightly off subject but with a broken wrist seriously consider a bidet seat for your house. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=bidet+sea...as-iss-sm_1_10

Once you own one you will never be without one.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    Slightly off subject but with a broken wrist seriously consider a bidet seat for your house. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=bidet+sea...as-iss-sm_1_10

Once you own one you will never be without one.
    I think this would be true BEFORE you had a broken wrist. I couldn't imagine trying to install that with one hand. They have RV toilet versions as well, or you could get a hand sprayer for home/RV.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jdux999 View Post
    Been there with you except mine was the right wrist (two pins) and I am right handed. I still drove my stick shift truck too. As other have said take a good step stool with you to stand on. You should be fine. Are you in a full arm cast or just forearm and sling? I used my elbow a lot for balance. And in a campground lots of folks will help a person with a broken flipper.

Hope you heal well.

By the way - PT stands for pain and torture. Be sure to follow the exercises they give you and go slow. I wont kid you getting the wrist to move at first is going to hurt. You will do fine. Go for it and have fun.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks All for the info. It's only a wrist cast, up to just below my elbow. It's amazing how fast you learn to adapt. It's basically 1 good hand and a club. Definitely don't want to miss any camping, just don't want to get stuck somewhere and be incapacitated.