User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally New to RV'ing Leaning Towards Grand Design Momentum 398M!

Hello All.

I hope all is well, and everybody is doing well. Unsure if this is a very active forum or not, but I thought I'd introduce myself, and get some wisdom by the wise.

While I've been in 5th wheels when I was a kid. My wife, and our 4 children are looking at building a house, and need a place to stay for the mean time. We are looking at the Momentum 398M. Now right off the bat, I am already thinking about the following for upgrade. But given the site, I'm unsure if there are additional upgrades that can take place.

Off the bat upgrades:
    3rd AC
    Dual Pane Windows
    8K Axles w/ Disc Brakes
    Gen II 3 Season Door with Sliding Windows
    Generator Onan 5.5w Gas Generator
    Happi Jac Bunk System w Folding Sofas
    Premium V4 Rockford Fosgate Speaker Upgrade w Amp + Subs
    Rear Aluminum Deck system with Rear power Awning
    Rear Patio Steps
    Slide-out Toppers
    Solar Package w/ 300w Panel, Controller & Inverter
    Washington Stat Seal (Where we will be living on our land)

I'd personally like to see if they can do 3 heatpumps versus 3 AC units. Does anybody know if Grand Designs offers this?

Am I missing something for upgrades?

As for a vehicle for pulling, I am looking at a Dodge Ram 3500 Duelly CrewCab w/ 8 foot bed with 30k Direct Mount 5th wheel hitch by Mopar and of course the High Output Cummings Diesel, auto level rear air suspention, 50 gallon fuel tank. I was also considering the Ford F-450 with the PowerStroke. I gravitate more towards the Dodge however. (I've had bad luck with Ford).

Anyways, Anyhelp, or thoughts would be most appreciated. I look forward to becoming a part of the GDRV family.

Thanks,

Michael
    Last edited by arisythila; 11-08-2020 at 12:42 PM.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome, this is an active forum, you've come to the right spot. Only upgrade your missing is dual pane windows and then decide if you want the half bath in the garage.

I really wanted the 398, but when we ordered there was no half bath option.

We lived in our 399 for 3 years and started with 3 kids and had 4 by the time we were done living in it. The half bath was a deal breaker for us, we were glad to have one.

There are quite a few people that will recommend the F450, I'd go that route if I was doing it all over again.

If you have specific questions, ask away, there are very helpful and expieranced people on this forum.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

I do have the dual pane windows, just forgot to mention them. LOL :-) We boght 20 acres in Chelan, WA, and it gets a bit cold, so adding things like dual pane windows makes sense.

We are interested in the half bath, but no idea if we go that route if it moves the washer and drier hookups, or if it removes them. My wife 100% wants the washer and drier.

Re: Truck. What makes the F-450 your choice, or the choice of many on this form? Are there any key features that just push it over the top? I'm sort of a huge fan of the Cummings diesel motors. They are super easy to work on and last forever. really unsure about the V8 Power stroke motors.

Thanks again,

Michael

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No clue if the half bath changes the washer and dryer hookups. You could call GD and ask, they should be able to tell you. I agree with your wife, washer and dryer is a must while living in it. Ours paid for itself in about 10 months compared to all the laundromat visits, not to mention the convenience.

As for the 450, it has a much smaller turning radius, commerical grade tires, bigger brakes and a beefier axle. On paper the payload is less than a 350 dually because they both have a 14k GVWR, but the 450 is slightly heavier. This is only done to keep the trucks in the same class whereas a GM or Dodge 4500 series is a higher class which changes registration fees and possible driver license requirements.

The Ford 6.7 is a great motor and anything 2015+ has all the bugs worked out, so no need to worry about reliability.

2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I agree with you and my wife 100%. I was thinking about getting a container and installing residential laundry machines in there. But honestly this makes sense for us I believe.

Smaller turning radius in any situation is a good idea. I was looking at the payload, and noticed this as well. Both are 14k GVW's but the Ram seems to have a bit more capacity. The Ford at the moment comes in at 93k, while the Dodge comes in around 84k. So a bit steep of a climb there. (I'm buying new I think since Diesels are natorious for getting 200-500k miles on them before any major engine work.) Brakes are always a good idea to have good capacity there. However with engine break exceeding Fords, and having trailer brakes as well is it still worth the investment there? (I am ignorant and honestly want to learn).

The Dodge has 11.5" rear, and 9.5" fronts,
    The Ford has 11.25" rears, 9.75" fronts.

I only know this because my old jeep runs Dana 60 fronts, and Dana 80 rears. But I was also pushing 40" tires. LOL

Is the better turning radius, brakes, axles worth the additional costs of ~9000 dollars?

Thanks again.

Michael

EDIT: I just noticed that the F-450 doesn't have any options for seating for 6. Only 5. Dodge allows me to get my whole family in the truck. (My kids are 14yo son, 12yo daughter, 7yo daughter, 4 yo daughter).
    Last edited by arisythila; 11-08-2020 at 04:03 PM.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, I'm happy with my F350 dually to save $9k. I use the engine brake a lot, its helps. The turning radius isnt terrible and like anything, you get used to it. Since we are a family of 6, the front bench was necessary for us. I do like the Ford center console/seat, it has an actual shoulder belt with head rest. Our kids range from 3 to 12 and my 11 year old son usually sits up front with us. Sometimes my 12 year old daughter sits there, but then it's a tighter fit. I would bring the whole family to test drive trucks so you can see how the seating works. I'm not Ford loyal, I just liked the front seat and that was very important to us. Also, I've had bad luck with 2 Dodges I've previously owned.

2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The F450 does have the 40-20-40 split bench front seat available on the XL, XLT and Lariat trims levels, giving you seating for up to 6
    And the brake rotors are a lot bigger
    Front 15.39"
    Rear 15.75"

A comparably equipped F450 costs about $2000-$2500 more than a F350 dually

Quote Originally Posted by arisythila View Post
    Smaller turning radius in any situation is a good idea. I was looking at the payload, and noticed this as well. Both are 14k GVW's but the Ram seems to have a bit more capacity. The Ford at the moment comes in at 93k, while the Dodge comes in around 84k. So a bit steep of a climb there. (I'm buying new I think since Diesels are notorious for getting 200-500k miles on them before any major engine work.) Brakes are always a good idea to have good capacity there. However with engine break exceeding Fords, and having trailer brakes as well is it still worth the investment there? (I am ignorant and honestly want to learn).

The Dodge has 11.5" rear, and 9.5" fronts,
    The Ford has 11.25" rears, 9.75" fronts.

I only know this because my old jeep runs Dana 60 fronts, and Dana 80 rears. But I was also pushing 40" tires. LOL

Is the better turning radius, brakes, axles worth the additional costs of ~9000 dollars?

Thanks again.

Michael

EDIT: I just noticed that the F-450 doesn't have any options for seating for 6.
    2020 381M with Goosebox
    2006 F-450 16k GVWR

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DarylB View Post
    The F450 does have the 40-20-40 split bench front seat available on the XL, XLT and Lariat trims levels, giving you seating for up to 6
    And the brake rotors are a lot bigger
    Front 15.39"
    Rear 15.75"

A comparably equipped F450 costs about $2000-$2500 more than a F350 dually
    Yeah the Dodge is only 14.2" front, and 14.1" rear. So considerably bigger on the Ford F-450

How did you get the 16k GVW on yours? Just an older model?

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arisythila View Post
    Yeah the Dodge is only 14.2" front, and 14.1" rear. So considerably bigger on the Ford F-450

How did you get the 16k GVW on yours? Just an older model?
    Up through MY 2007 the only 450 available from Ford was the commercial cab and chassis model that would normally have a service box or dump box installed, the C&C trucks have a higher GVWR
    The original owner that ordered my truck had the Ford dealer send the truck to an aftermarket conversion company to have the pick-up box installed
    Last edited by DarylB; 11-09-2020 at 05:16 PM.
    2020 381M with Goosebox
    2006 F-450 16k GVWR

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Guys,

I ended up test driving the F-450 Dually, the Ram 3500 Dually, and the GMC 3500HD. GMC IMO was crap... Leaving only the F-450, and the Ram 3500.

Both were very nice vehicles, however honestly the Ram felt a bit better to me. The low end power was IMO a bit better than the Powerstroke, however, the powerstroke did seem like it had a bit more umph up top.

I ended up putting cash down on a 2020 Ram 3500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, with the 8' box today. The estimated time of arrival is Mid December. They were both very close in terms of performance, and handling and everything. Just the Ram just .... felt better IMO. It felt more like something I would buy and drive. The technology in the Ram IMO superceeded the F-450 any day of the week, the larger screen, seemed higher resolution, but the biggest thing that I liked the most was the air suspension, and the larger 50 gallon tank. The F-450 the guy said I could get in a 6-seater, but he said they only offered a 32 Gallon tank in Nevada.

I just thought that I'd share. Both I am sure are GREAT trucks for pulling fifth wheels 100%. They were both on equal footing, but Clessie Cummins got me ...

Now time to start the buying process for the RV! This is the exciting part!

Would you guys recommend the 8k axles over the 7k axles?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast