User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Battery disconnect questions

Hi all, quick questions I'm hoping someone knows (RE: Imagine XLS series at least) -

1) Does the battery disconnect when pulled completely isolate the batteries meaning they cannot be charged by shore power?
    2) It appears the batteries will still charge from 7-pin directly with disconnect pulled based on voltmeter readings, just want to confirm that is correct?
    3) Is the Furrion solar port usable with the disconnect pulled (e.g. plug a solar tender using a Furrion adapter rather than leaving the cover off the batteries)?

Thanks!

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The battery disconnect does not disconnect everything (though it does disconnect the converter/charger from the battery). There will still be parasitic loads such as CO/propane monitors and some others. The only way to completely disconnect the battery is to disconnect the negative terminal lead or install a disconnect switch on the battery terminal.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlakKnight View Post
    Hi all, quick questions I'm hoping someone knows (RE: Imagine XLS series at least) -

1) Does the battery disconnect when pulled completely isolate the batteries
    NO, as Rob said, there are still parasitic draws on the battery meaning they cannot be charged by shore power?You are correct, the batteries will not charge from shore power with the disconnect engaged
    2) It appears the batteries will still charge from 7-pin directly with disconnect pulled based on voltmeter readings, just want to confirm that is correct?
    No idea
    3) Is the Furrion solar port usable with the disconnect pulled (e.g. plug a solar tender using a Furrion adapter rather than leaving the cover off the batteries)?
    On our 2018 303, the solar port cables go directly to the battery terminals. If your rig is wired the same then yes, you could use a solar tender. I'm not sure what you are meaning by "leaving the cover off the batteries"
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The batteries still charge from the tow vehicle with the disconnect off. The trailer battery powers the trailer brakes in a breakaway situation so the charging circuit is connected at all times when the truck is providing power.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think the "parasitic draw" warning applies to all units.

I traced the cabling in mine and the only things hooked to the battery are the generator starter relay and the power disconnect switch. Neither of them will leak any current.

It could be that older units have stuff wired in before the power switch*, but mine doesn't. The only way to make sure is to switch yours off and put an ammeter on it.

*some people hard wire their TPMS repeater straight to the battery, for instance.
    Last edited by jjbbrewer; 03-07-2021 at 11:11 AM.
    signature

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjbbrewer View Post

I traced the cabling in mine and the only things hooked to the battery are the generator starter relay and the power disconnect switch. Neither of them will leak any current.

It could be that older units have stuff wired in before the power switch*, but mine doesn't. The only way to make sure is to switch yours off and put an ammeter on it.

*some people hard wire their TPMS repeater straight to the battery, for instance.
    I have my TPMS wired ahead of the battery cutoff switch, but I also have a weatherproof switch on the TPMS booster for turning it completely off. Switch is located on the front side of the box.

2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjbbrewer View Post

If that’s all you have, you have a wiring error. Your breakaway switch is required to be connected to the battery, and the smoke, CO and LP detectors are always connected before the disconnect. For safety, you should correct it.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed a Blue Sea Battery selector switch to isolate the batteries and prevent parasitic drain while parked. I always run with one battery selected to power the hydraulic brakes and break-away.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    Your breakaway switch is required to be connected to the battery, and the smoke, CO and LP detectors are always connected before the disconnect.
    Hmm .. I looked this up and it doesn't say anything about wiring requirements that I could find.
    https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/...-sec393-43.pdf paragraph d

My unit is wired the way it came from Grand Design, so it would be their fault if it's wrong.

I understand your point, but I'm not sure there's anything different about having to remember to turn on the cutoff switch versus having to remember to connect the battery.
    Having to remember to do both seems more error prone to my simple brain.
    Last edited by jjbbrewer; 03-07-2021 at 08:23 PM.
    signature

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2020 21bhe has sat for several months with the battery in place and the battery monitor inside still shows full charge. I know that the monitor isn't very accurate but I would expect the battery would be nearly drained in that time period if I had the parasitic drains I've read about in this forum.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast