Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solitude 310GK - Using a clothing iron without tripping a breaker

We just ordered a new 310GK. We are new to RV'ing.
    We want to purchase a clothing iron to use in our rig. Wondering who has used an iron without any difficulties. Is there a max wattage I should be looking at? Or if I need to make sure nothing else is on that circuit for the time I'm using the iron?

CBF

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife has used her iron both inside using the kitchen island outlets of our 2020 310GK-R as well as outside using the exterior outlet by the basement storage door. No problems. We are full time and have never tripped a breaker.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any household hand iron should work without issue when you're on 50A shore power. In case where you're adapted down to 30A you may need to do the load shuffle.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CBF1955 View Post
    We just ordered a new 310GK. We are new to RV'ing.
    We want to purchase a clothing iron to use in our rig. Wondering who has used an iron without any difficulties. Is there a max wattage I should be looking at? Or if I need to make sure nothing else is on that circuit for the time I'm using the iron?

CBF
    All of the outlets are on at least 15A circuits. So any standard clothes iron, or any other appliance that pugs into a standard outlet should work fine. That beings said, you hit the nail (or problem) on the head. You need to know what else is on that circuit. You can not run multiple high current (wattage) appliances on one circuit at the same time. When you get the trailer, I recommend checking each outlet and device (fireplace, refrigerator, water heater, microwave, AC, etc.) and find out what circuit each is on. Sorry to say, not all trailers (even the same model) are wired the same, and there have been a number of cases of mislabeled circuits/circuit breakers.

Sorry for the long winded reply, but hope this gives you an idea.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CBF1955 View Post
    We just ordered a new 310GK. We are new to RV'ing. We want to purchase a clothing iron to use in our rig. Wondering who has used an iron without any difficulties. Is there a max wattage I should be looking at? Or if I need to make sure nothing else is on that circuit for the time I'm using the iron? CBF
    All good advice above. I'm just pitching in to let you know that, if you see references around the internet to a Grand Design "wiring plan" that owners can request from Grand Design for their trailer model, it may not be as helpful as you'd hope.

Specifically, the wiring plan that GD provides on request for the 310GK might at SOME point have accurately depicted the way that trailer is wired but it's wildly inaccurate now. I and a number of other 310GK owners have all been disappointed with it.

So as @CoChris has recommended above, making a diagram yourself is probably in your future. With half an hour, a multi-meter, and a friend to operate breakers while you test outlets, you'll be able to create your own wiring plan for usage planning.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch