User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solar / Battery help needed

Hi Guys ; Last spring I went out and purchased a Momentum 320 G which at the time had a single 12volt battery. Went out and upgraded to 2 6volt deep cell golf cart batteries in series ,did the job for rest of season ,but just not enough. I dry camp big time ,very rare hookup ,do have the onboard generator but don't like using . I blew the budget just buying the trailer and want to install panels inverter all that stuff this spring with a good battery bank. All you guys on here seem to be installing Lithium which I know is the best way to go ,but just can't afford this year, down road in a couple years after system is payed for ,lol. So my plan for now is to put in 4 6volt deep cell golf cart batteries in series and hopefully get the best I can out of them . I read in one the above posts how to wire the batteries to equalize the batteries for the draw on batteries and for equal charging . On that site it shows how to wire for parallel but not for series , I need help PLEASE,lol , any suggestions in setting up this system would be much appreciated. Thanks Randy

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HaywireRandy View Post
    Hi Guys ; Last spring I went out and purchased a Momentum 320 G which at the time had a single 12volt battery. Went out and upgraded to 2 6volt deep cell golf cart batteries in series ,did the job for rest of season ,but just not enough. I dry camp big time ,very rare hookup ,do have the onboard generator but don't like using . I blew the budget just buying the trailer and want to install panels inverter all that stuff this spring with a good battery bank. All you guys on here seem to be installing Lithium which I know is the best way to go ,but just can't afford this year, down road in a couple years after system is payed for ,lol. So my plan for now is to put in 4 6volt deep cell golf cart batteries in series and hopefully get the best I can out of them . I read in one the above posts how to wire the batteries to equalize the batteries for the draw on batteries and for equal charging . On that site it shows how to wire for parallel but not for series , I need help PLEASE,lol , any suggestions in setting up this system would be much appreciated. Thanks Randy
    As this is quite bit different from the topic of this thread (batteries) I would recommend starting a new thread for your question. Maybe the moderators can move this to a new thread for you.

You are asking a very broad question(s) here. If part is "how do I hook up 4 6V batteries" the answer, if you want to stay with a 12v system (and not create a lot of additional work) is make two sets of 6 v batteries in series (to give you 12v) then hook the two "groups" in parallel (connect the most negative terminals of each series pair together and the most positive terminal of each series pair together. This is called 2S2P configuration. Treat the 4 batteries as a single 12v battery. There are a lot of details that go into optimizing this configuration (like connect the trailer/system to the negative terminal of one group and to the positive terminal of the other group).

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New thread created, hope you get the help needed.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    New thread created, hope you get the help needed.
    Thank you Marcy!

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read in one the above posts how to wire the batteries to equalize the batteries for the draw on batteries and for equal charging . On that site it shows how to wire for parallel but not for series , I need help PLEASE,lol , any suggestions in setting up this system would be much appreciated. Thanks Randy
    I had 6V in series/parallel previously, wired I think how CoChris said.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6 Volt Batts 2S2P.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	32515
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think about getting Oasis Firefly carbon foam AGM. They are very much cheaper than lithium and have similar properties unlike many other AGM. They can get 2000- 3000 cycles, the can be drawn down to 20% vs 50% for other lead batteries.
    Nothing wrong with golf carts.

https://oceanplanetenergy.com/advanc...asis-group-31/
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank You new here

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a GD solar Facebook page.....that’s all they talk about