User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33
  1. #1
    Left The Driveway
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Progressive Dynamics 9180ALV charger/converter - 80AMP charging, 20AMP AC outlet

    I will be upgrading the charger/converter in my 2020 Reflection 303RLS to support Lithium batteries. The Progressive Dynamics 9160ALV seems to be popular on this forum. Has anyone considered the 9180ALV? It will charge at 80 amps instead of 60 amps so it will charge faster. It requires a 20-amp AC outlet though. My RV is in storage so I can't check to see if the AC outlet the stock WFCO charger uses is 20-amp (I'm curious if any of the outlets in the storage compartments are 20-amp as well). Does anyone know? Also, I am hoping the existing battery wiring from the charger to the front-compartment will be OK for the extra boost in current, the existing breakers are adequate, etc. It would sure be nice to charge quicker, especially when using a generator. Any downsides to going with the 9180ALV instead of the 9160ALV?

    Jeff

  2. #2
    Rolling Along huntindog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    757
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by herman2021 View Post
    I will be upgrading the charger/converter in my 2020 Reflection 303RLS to support Lithium batteries. The Progressive Dynamics 9160ALV seems to be popular on this forum. Has anyone considered the 9180ALV? It will charge at 80 amps instead of 60 amps so it will charge faster. It requires a 20-amp AC outlet though. My RV is in storage so I can't check to see if the AC outlet the stock WFCO charger uses is 20-amp (I'm curious if any of the outlets in the storage compartments are 20-amp as well). Does anyone know? Also, I am hoping the existing battery wiring from the charger to the front-compartment will be OK for the extra boost in current, the existing breakers are adequate, etc. It would sure be nice to charge quicker, especially when using a generator. Any downsides to going with the 9180ALV instead of the 9160ALV?

    Jeff
    I did this on my momentum recently. 4 BB batteries, 9180ALV convertor, Victron monitor and batery guardian. Like you, I was concerned about the 20 amp requirement. I actually bought an outlet, box and wiring so I could make it work. When I got into it, I found that the existing convertor was plugged into a 20 amp receptacle mounted on the back side of the breaker box. It is controlled by a 15 amp breaker though. I can see no reason why a 20 amp breaker could not be used though. The receptacle is stamped 20amp, and is mounted/wired directly to the box/breaker. But the 15 amp breaker has been working fine. I returned all of the items I had purchased except the breaker, I will carry that around for awhile in case the 15 amp one becomes an issue. I do not believe it should though, as the specs fall into what a 15 amp one should be able to handle. I had 6ga wires from the convertor to the batteries. That is cutting it a little close depending on just how long the wires are. After the install I checked for voltage drop and warm wires. It passed both tests So I am using it as is. This made for a very simple swap.
    Last edited by huntindog; 03-07-2021 at 07:03 PM.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1380 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

  3. #3
    Site Sponsor orbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Springfield, Oregon
    Posts
    2,163
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did the Progressive Dynamics 9160ALV converter. It draws all the power throughout the whole charge. I don't like working anything to their limit, so I feel the 60A is a good decision.
    I have 4 lithium batteries and some solar.

    I figured Progressive Dynamics created this list for a reason. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude

  4. #4
    Rolling Along huntindog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    757
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    I did the Progressive Dynamics 9160ALV converter. It draws all the power throughout the whole charge. I don't like working anything to their limit, so I feel the 60A is a good decision.
    I have 4 lithium batteries and some solar.

    I figured Progressive Dynamics created this list for a reason. KEN
    What limit are you concerned about?
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1380 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

  5. #5
    Site Sponsor orbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Springfield, Oregon
    Posts
    2,163
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    I did the Progressive Dynamics 9160ALV converter. It draws all the power throughout the whole charge. I don't like working anything to their limit, so I feel the 60A is a good decision.
    I have 4 lithium batteries and some solar.

    I figured Progressive Dynamics created this list for a reason. KEN
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    What limit are you concerned about?
    The limits of the wires. The limits of the poor quality outlet.
    Also; If you are drawing lots of power to charge on say line 1 and others things are also using line 1.

    I don't like to be over worked at work. Slow a stead will win the race. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude

  6. #6
    Site Sponsor JCR GD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Central Cal
    Posts
    2,988
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Ken. I wouldn't go with a bigger converter than what is already installed (for the reasons he listed.)

    I just went through the same thing and was happy to find a 75amp already in my Momentum so I went with a 75amp lithium version.

    FYI, I called GD with my VIN to find out what converter was installed cuz I couldn't get into the basement area before ordering the new converter. They were happy to help!
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH w/ Joy Rider shocks, Sailun 637s & 3" Garage extension, LifeBlue Lithium.
    2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toys:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE
    2018 Fiat Abarth Cabrio

  7. #7
    Rolling Along huntindog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    757
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCR GD View Post
    I agree with Ken. I wouldn't go with a bigger converter than what is already installed (for the reasons he listed.)

    I just went through the same thing and was happy to find a 75amp already in my Momentum so I went with a 75amp lithium version.

    FYI, I called GD with my VIN to find out what converter was installed cuz I couldn't get into the basement area before ordering the new converter. They were happy to help!
    And I am willing to bet that you have 6ga wires. The same as on my Momentum.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1380 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

  8. #8
    Site Sponsor JCR GD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Central Cal
    Posts
    2,988
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    And I am willing to bet that you have 6ga wires. The same as on my Momentum.
    Yes, but the OP has a 303 Reflection. It may not be set up the same.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH w/ Joy Rider shocks, Sailun 637s & 3" Garage extension, LifeBlue Lithium.
    2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toys:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE
    2018 Fiat Abarth Cabrio

  9. #9
    Rolling Along huntindog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    757
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCR GD View Post
    Yes, but the OP has a 303 Reflection. It may not be set up the same.
    That could be true. My point was that your Momentum had 6ga wires and came with a 75 amp convertor. Which means the my unit with the same wires can be upgraded from the 55 amp unit it came with.
    The chart that Ken refers to is a guideline to keep those that do not have a complete understanding of what is involved in making sure the wiring is capable. In many cases the chart will undershoot what is actually possible.... And that is a good thing.

    But for those that know how to use a volt ohm meter, they do not need the chart. They can install what their actual wiring can handle.
    Last edited by huntindog; 03-08-2021 at 05:45 PM.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1380 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

  10. #10
    Site Sponsor
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Henrietta, NY
    Posts
    592
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I talked with a Battleborn rep yesterday. He says a 50A charger is the max for a single 100AH lithium battery.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

DISCLAIMER:This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Grand Design RV, LLC or any of its affiliates. This is an independent site.