User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Used 2018 Reflection 28BH or New 2021 Reflection 278BH

Hello we’re new here and looking for some advice. My wife and I are struggling on which of these two rigs to purchase. Quick back story.. About two years ago we purchased a 2008 keystone cougar and gutted and remodeled the unit into our “tiny home”. We downsized, sold our house and finally went full time in spring of 2020. Two weeks ago, We lost our tiny home and everything inside to a fire.
    We have full intentions to continue our full time status and are set in finding another rig. We have two kids and two dogs and have decided on grand design. We love the floor plan of the 28BH and we’re set up to tow it. Our tow vehicle is a F350 Powerstroke. However, We haven’t found a 28BH locally to even walk through. We have found a brand new 2021 278BH and went to take a look and check out what grand design was about on a similar floor plan. Of course we talked numbers with the dealer and as of now are at about 6,500 dollars difference between the two units. The more expensive one being the new 278BH. We’re looking for any opinions and comparisons on either unit. Thanks in advance and we’re excited to hopefully join the grand design family and find our next home.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome and congratulations on your first post! These trailers are very similar but there are a few things that I personally makes one better than the other. I do currently own a 2018 28BH. I bought mine in the fall of 2017 but was a 2018 model. I am happy that I didn't wait and get the floorplan offered in late 2019 and on. The loss of that rear storage compartment is huge for me and I like the double over double bunks. The newer plan didn't have the storage compartment and had a different bunk config I didn't care for. Kind of happy to see the 150 series go back to that floorplan.

But on to your actual question. I usually lean toward going with the newer model year because of warranty but in this case I would tell you to go with the 2018. The reasons noted here are just my opinion and may not be factors you value. My reasons are in particular order:

I like 2018 graphics and colors better
    The 2018 gives you a bedroom slide with more clothing space
    The 2018 gives you access to the bathroom from the bedroom
    The 2018 gives you a 12 cu ft fridge
    The 2018 provides larger gray, black and fresh water tanks
    The 2018 is 1 foot longer giving a little more room
    The 2018 adds an outdoor TV compartment and not just coax hookup

Really the only benefits I see the 2021 has are:

It's a 2021 and not 2018
    Probably has updated appliances
    May have upgraded controls
    Rectangular shower vs radius shower. More room?

Those are the things I can see that would drive me to the 2018. I welcome other opinions though and different perspectives. Good luck with your choice and sorry for your loss.

Feel free to reply here or send me a private message if you have additional questions about the 2018.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch ISR Version
    Predator 3500W Inverter Generator
    2017 Ram 3500 Mega cab SRW w/6.4L Hemi, Ramboxes, Active Air Rear Suspension
    2017 Aluma 8214HS
    2015 Lund Crossover 1775 XS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply we really appreciate the feedback. Glad to hear you love your reflection 28BH. How has that larger fridge performed compared to the smaller one? Have you run it on propane for an extended time? Have you done any boondocking? We basically boondock 100% of the time and had just used a generator to keep us charged up in our last unit. The larger tanks are definitely a help to us thanks for mentioning. Feel free to share any other thoughts we really appreciate the information. Thanks!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm so thankful for the 12 cu ft fridge. We do not boondock but I have run the fridge on propane alone. I leave my fridge on auto so when we travel it stays cool. My experience has been that propane cools down faster and keeps it cooler than electric. I do not know the rate of propane consumption though. I live in a relatively cold climate so I don't see the heat of TX or AZ. A few things that seem to help for me are ensuring I don't overpack the fridge and I have a small battery powered circulation fan to keep air flowing inside the fridge. Mine has worked well for me. There are a whole bunch of folks here who have had issues though keeping the fridge cool. Search for their stories and remedies using the search tool.

Have you been inside both units to compare? I haven't done much customization other than a new sewer hose holder, adding a tv to the bedroom and replacing the TCL tvs with smart tvs. I guess I did also seal off the opening under the bottom bunk that was open to the rear storage. We like this unit. We considered a 311BHS but for the size and price the 28BH checked the boxes for us. So far my biggest "complaints " are that I wish I had a Furrion oven instead of the Suburban, not because it's a bad unit, but because I think the Furrion looks way better. I also wish the tri-fold sofa was a dual theater recliner with heat and massage. The interior speakers aren't that great either. All of these things could easily be changed if I was willing to pay to change them. None of these items make me wish I had gone a different route.

Good luck and let me know if there is anything else you have questions about. There are a few other 28BH owners here as well who may also have good advice.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch ISR Version
    Predator 3500W Inverter Generator
    2017 Ram 3500 Mega cab SRW w/6.4L Hemi, Ramboxes, Active Air Rear Suspension
    2017 Aluma 8214HS
    2015 Lund Crossover 1775 XS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We went with the 278BH because of the rear storage. I don’t know why they did away with it in 2021 on the 28BH. A design decision I don’t understand.
    There are features in the 28BH that I liked better( bedroom slide and fireplace) but the storage for us was the key.
    If I could have found a good used 28BH I would have gone that route but didn’t.
    Happy with the 278BH and we made the right decision.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mmaddo2641 View Post
    We went with the 278BH because of the rear storage. I don’t know why they did away with it in 2021 on the 28BH. A design decision I don’t understand.
    There are features in the 28BH that I liked better( bedroom slide and fireplace) but the storage for us was the key.
    If I could have found a good used 28BH I would have gone that route but didn’t.
    Happy with the 278BH and we made the right decision.

Hey thanks for the reply. We actually purchased a 2018 28BH. We found it down in Florida flew down to check it out and are excited to now drive down and pick it up. We agree the storage is great. Appreciate all the advice and reply’s. Thanks!

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just took a look at the 2021 Reflection 28bh units. WOW, I didn't know they eliminated the rear storage compartment. IMO that's a huge demerit. The front storage compartment isn't all that big to begin with. So the rear compartment on our 28bh is super useful. I've got my MorRyde cord reel back there for the power cable, all my adapters, and a bunch of other utility stuff. The width and depth of the compartment really comes in handy.

Also the bunk beds in the post 2018 units is not as useful as the double full sized units in the 2018 and earlier units. Two of our 3 kids just double up on a bunk and they switch off with each other. Our bunkroom has a good sized closet that's really useful for their clothes.

The only thing we really wish for are bigger holding tanks.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh