Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Trailer Rookie

Hello all,

Well for a guy that’s not on Facebook or any social media stuff, I’m making a big step here. I guess our new trailer: 2021 Imagine 17 MKE XLS has made an impact. I’ve attached a pic of my last DIY Camper so as you can see, we’ve come a long way. Will miss it though.

Anyway, we ( wife and I ) are looking forward to many trips over the next while and have already benefited from many suggestions on basic supplies and upgrades for new RV owners so thx for that!

My next challenge is to source the right solar set up for this trailer along with our off grid camping. Our trips could take us away for up to a week to 10 days a go so need to get it right obviously.

At this point I have researched a lot, purchased nothing, and will take in any suggestions for equipment, and budget, that my size of rig will handle.

Obviously things like microwave ovens and AC will not be at issue to give up based on the places we get to for now, Cdn Rockies backcountry etc.

Some fly fishing trips into the pacific NW US are on the horizon come end of COVID....

All the best to all and thx in advance for any good support that might come our way!

Cheers,

Duane & Lisa

Calgary, Alberta
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0F46AF4F-BFD8-4433-BDF1-230ADA4E7DD9.jpg  

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoolie View Post
    Hello all,

Well for a guy that’s not on Facebook or any social media stuff, I’m making a big step here. I guess our new trailer: 2021 Imagine 17 MKE XLS has made an impact. I’ve attached a pic of my last DIY Camper so as you can see, we’ve come a long way. Will miss it though.

Anyway, we ( wife and I ) are looking forward to many trips over the next while and have already benefited from many suggestions on basic supplies and upgrades for new RV owners so thx for that!

My next challenge is to source the right solar set up for this trailer along with our off grid camping. Our trips could take us away for up to a week to 10 days a go so need to get it right obviously.

At this point I have researched a lot, purchased nothing, and will take in any suggestions for equipment, and budget, that my size of rig will handle.

Obviously things like microwave ovens and AC will not be at issue to give up based on the places we get to for now, Cdn Rockies backcountry etc.

Some fly fishing trips into the pacific NW US are on the horizon come end of COVID....

All the best to all and thx in advance for any good support that might come our way!

Cheers,

Duane & Lisa

Calgary, Alberta
    Welcome to the group. Thats a nice camper.
    I'd say, get a good wdh, tpms and surge protector to start. The rest you can get after you start using it and get a feel for it. The list of handy gadgets is endless. Get a feel for your mattress before you head out. Most of us have replace it but I've heard that GD supplies a different one now that is reasonable.
    PS Calgary is on our near future visits.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi -

my 1st time on this site. We are just waiting for our 2021 17 mke to arrive at the dealership and in the interim I am also looking into solar options and components. In talking with our dealer’s salesperson, I’m told all I need are the panels ( 1 or 2) , and a controller inside as all the wiring is in place. But I am trying to learn as much as I can regarding batteries, panel options, wattage requirement, etc. Would appreciate any info you may come across and what components you decide on & I will share any info I get.

I especially can’t wait to get our rv and head out into the mountains.

Larry & Linda

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thx for the heads up on these things, I’m on it. As for the bed, picking trailer up in a couple weeks so will find out soon enough!

Cheers,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Larry

We are heavy into off grid camping so will likely go at least 2 100 panels along with a converter although not sure what yet. Am leaning to 2 x 6 volt batteries. Microwave, ac, not issues for us. Mostly go into areas off grid near mountains. Going to finalize this week so will let you know set up we come up with. Because we like to head out for more than a few days at times, may invest in a generator as additional source of power to support TV on occasion.

Cheers

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoolie View Post
    Hello all,

Cheers,

Duane & Lisa

Calgary, Alberta

You’re not alone. I have a CS degree, MBA, and worked in IT for 30 years (aka nerd) and I’m not on social media either :-)

Congrats on your purchase. We really liked the XLS 17 MKE, XLS 22 MLE, and Imagine 2250RK. It was a tough decision. I was leaning towards the 22 MLE (heavily) but the better half wanted the second set of stairs so we went with the 2250RK (Happy wife, happy life!).

Cheers!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you start analyzing the electrical component of your trailer look into simplifying your conversion of battery to 110 by use of something which does it simply. A Victron Multiplus is the unit. It has a robust 4 stage programmable charger which can be set to any battery type you have chosen for when you are not off grid or use your generator. Automatic battery switch which makes ALL of your 110 outlets live for use vs buying a separate inverter and plugging each piece in. The company is very reputable also and supplies many marine vessels.

Batteries is another discussion. How ever to off grid that amount you will need a substantial bank.

We use our 2500RL much like you will with 80% of our time off grid. We are by no means completely full timers. However with the generator to charge the batteries if necessary we have unlimited unplug time. We have 2x 200 watt solar and could add more .

Good luck in your adventures. Ask ? Here and you’ll get lots of answers and opinions. You decide which works best for you. Great people posting here
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM