User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roadmaster shocks on 398M

Just finished up putting the Roadmaster shocks on in time to take it out on a 700 mile trip over the weekend on roads that will definitely give it a good test. Also added Centramatic constant wheel balancers. These two additions should preserve the trailer for a much longer life. I did notice when I pulled the wheels though that they had not been balanced previously. So, balancers and shocks should help with the tire wear since extra bouncing adds to the heat factor. I will update this after this weekend and report the improvement if there is one or the lack of, we will see.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails shocks.jpg  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well as an update to the shock addition all I can really say about it is the fact that they should be standard equipment on any fifth wheel. The addition of the shocks along with the Centramatic balancers which by the way did seem to help with tire temps. I do not have documented traceability on that claim, just an observation, this trailer pulled like a dream. We made a 700+ round trip run over the weekend on some Texas two lanes that had a fair amount of repairs going on. You know, the jump up on the bridges and fall off on the other side. The trailer handled them very well without causing whiplash. When we reached our destination there were items that moved around yes, but things were not thrown about as usual. In my own personal opinion this upgrade should definitely help the unit sustain a longer life with less damage from travels.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jcharper View Post
    Well as an update to the shock addition all I can really say about it is the fact that they should be standard equipment on any fifth wheel. The addition of the shocks along with the Centramatic balancers which by the way did seem to help with tire temps. I do not have documented traceability on that claim, just an observation, this trailer pulled like a dream. We made a 700+ round trip run over the weekend on some Texas two lanes that had a fair amount of repairs going on. You know, the jump up on the bridges and fall off on the other side. The trailer handled them very well without causing whiplash. When we reached our destination there were items that moved around yes, but things were not thrown about as usual. In my own personal opinion this upgrade should definitely help the unit sustain a longer life with less damage from travels.
    Good to hear you’re happy with the shock installation. I am going to going to do this mod to my 350 as soon as I bring it home from storage this spring. My biggest gripe towing is how the rig reacts to bridge crossings.
    Chuck & Trish
    2017 350M
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW
    2014 HD Roadking

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jcharper View Post
    I installed these on my 381M and I am very happy with the results. Both my wife and I noticed it made a significant improvement in the ride quality in the cab of the truck. The ride was much more controlled and there were no more jolts delivered to the cab of the truck, just nicely damped movements. This is the best upgrade I have made, even better than the Flex Air pin box.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did ya’ll do the slipper springs at the same time as the shocks?
    2021 F350 6.7
    2021 Momentum 353G

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just installed the shocks without the slipper springs.