User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

376THS Leaf Spring

So was in the process of repacking my wheel bearings and lubing my shackles when WOW look what I found....

The left rear leaf spring attach point, the greaseable bolt is inaccessible. The head with the grease fitting is almost touching the sewer drain pipe.....

My real concern is if I need to remove this bolt (broken leaf spring as an example) it would have to be cut off and the new bolt installed in the opposite direction.

I'm still under warranty and plan to share this with GD - may want to be proactive on this and fix now rather than on the side of the road...

If you own a 376THS take a look at yours and post here...curious if this is a one off...

Mark

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RV Leaf Spring.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	32525
    2014 HDT Volvo 780 "Baby Bird"
    2016 Smart Car "Baby Bird Turd" - on the back
    2020 Momentum 376THS
    We're both proud USAF Retirees...

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since the frames/springs are assembled before anything else I doubt any thought is given to avoiding that.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mark and Jim - it is interesting that this is the first time anyone has shared this. May indicate most folks never check this out or if have "a guy" that does the work, it certainly is not being shared with the RV owner.

I have one of my grease guns with a side connecting head to grease zerks for tight situations like this. I trust these are still made and if so possibly it will work, Mark.

I'm curious what Dallas @D2Reid has on his 376. Maybe Dallas or other 376 owners will chime in.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonlight View Post
    Mark and Jim - it is interesting that this is the first time anyone has shared this. May indicate most folks never check this out or if have "a guy" that does the work, it certainly is not being shared with the RV owner.

I have one of my grease guns with a side connecting head to grease zerks for tight situations like this. I trust these are still made and if so possibly it will work, Mark.

I'm curious what Dallas @D2Reid has on his 376. Maybe Dallas or other 376 owners will chime in.

Dan
    Unfortunately, that will not be a solution for long since the bushings must regularly be replaced. I'd like to say this is rare, but I've seen plenty of models across brands where there's after-the-fact oversight like the OP's experiencing. I'd wager GD doesn't offer resolution of any sort because you can cut the wet bolt out and install the new one with the nut against the plumbing instead. Pain regardless, but easier than some of the oversights in the automotive world I've had the pleasure dealing with like separating an engine and transaxle to pull the engine just to replace a steering rack!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Unfortunately, that will not be a solution for long since the bushings must regularly be replaced. I'd like to say this is rare, but I've seen plenty of models across brands where there's after-the-fact oversight like the OP's experiencing. I'd wager GD doesn't offer resolution of any sort because you can cut the wet bolt out and install the new one with the nut against the plumbing instead. Pain regardless, but easier than some of the oversights in the automotive world I've had the pleasure dealing with like separating an engine and transaxle to pull the engine just to replace a steering rack!
    I'm hoping that at least they will provide me with a new wet bolt so I can cut it and turn it around while I'm still under warranty....

Mark
    2020 Momentum 376THS

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RV Tech View Post
    I'm hoping that at least they will provide me with a new wet bolt so I can cut it and turn it around while I'm still under warranty....

Mark
    I hear you, but I have much experience pushing on the rope with our dealer and ultimately GD. A wet bolt and deformed lock nut will cost you $5 at any trailer supply shop. I don't post this to be flippant at all but seriously am trying to show the magnitude relevant to time and frustration you will likely experience before that bolt is given.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonlight View Post
    Dan
    Sorry been off grid a few days. And it's too chilly for me to go poke my nose underneath right now, and dark. Lots of excuses to say I don't really remember. And I just had that hanger replaced last fall. Performance tire put new wet bolts in then I had the 4k springs installed with new hubs and brakes.

Clearances on those wet bolts is horrible, and not just the back one. I know carry two grease guns, one with a straight head and one with a 90 degree head. It's still a disagreeable chore.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same issue on my 2021 376ths... I don't know that a 90 degree fitting on the grease gun would even fit in between the waste pipe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the same issue. I put a 90 degree zerk on it for now. Eventually I may have to cut it off and replace it with one that points out.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OCBray View Post
    We have the same issue. I put a 90 degree zerk on it for now. Eventually I may have to cut it off and replace it with one that points out.
    Mine was rusted in - had to use vice grips to get it out.....it's not the same size fitting as the other bolts. What size 90 degree did you put in? Was it a 6mm? I may not have enough room to get one in either...

Mark
    2020 Momentum 376THS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast