Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is Onan finally upgrading to inverters?

Sorry if this has already been posted but I haven't seen it before

https://www.cummins.com/generators/onan-qg-2800i

Looks like this came out last summer/fall. I've seem mention of a 4000 on the way. Is this the start of the whole QG line finally upgrading to inverter style generators?
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be nice to see them modernize the design some. But given the current line up has been in place for 30+ years, do not expect any quick change or adoption by the RV market.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think adoption will be an issue since I doubt they will still make both. How quickly they move to do the rest of the line, that's another matter.

another release:
    https://www.cummins.com/news/release...rter-generator

These generators are a huge step forward over the sets they replace. Based on our tests, the QG 2800i and 2500i are 62.7% quieter and have 60.6% less vibration than our current products,” said Jennifer Hodson, Director of the Consumer Segment for Cummins Power Systems. “They are even quieter than the leading portable generator on the market.”
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They will keep making the older design as long as people are ordering it haha - easy money
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
    They will keep making the older design as long as people are ordering it haha - easy money
    Nope:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2021-03-08_12-12-37.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	32533

I really hope this is going to run through the whole line. We're looking at a new solitude this year and I've been researching the possibility of installing the QD6000. Quite a bit more efficient and an inverter already. But the cost and trying to figure out how to install a onboard tank makes it a bit to far out there for me to attempt. I'll run my portables for another year if these are on the horizon.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This may have something to do with it, though from what I’ve read I wouldn’t want one. But it is finally some competition and forest River is using them

https://www.npsrvpower.com/

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...or-220448.html
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right now you cannot even get the Onan. The line, both RV and the commercial variations are not made by Cummins. In fact, their assembly is almost not much more than boxing. The engine is a Yamaha, and Yamaha can no longer produce them. If there's serious competition out there, the gates of the kingdom have swung wide open for them without guards! By all accounts thus far, Onan units could be out of the market indefinitely because they cannot locate an alternative engine supplier. You cannot even order a generator now with several big manufacturers, and I heard DRV only has enough inventory for those committed builds.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Right now you cannot even get the Onan. The line, both RV and the commercial variations are not made by Cummins. In fact, their assembly is almost not much more than boxing. The engine is a Yamaha, and Yamaha can no longer produce them. If there's serious competition out there, the gates of the kingdom have swung wide open for them without guards! By all accounts thus far, Onan units could be out of the market indefinitely because they cannot locate an alternative engine supplier. You cannot even order a generator now with several big manufacturers, and I heard DRV only has enough inventory for those committed builds.
    This......

True story. Not a generator to be found. Manufacturer side or aftermarket. Gone, caput. No bueno....

Been hunting down a 5500 watt LP for a customer that ordered it on their Solitude (which isn't coming with one) and there none in the country that are available. Their are retailers that will tell you they are, but you are put on a list for when they may be availabel again. Most retailers of these do not stock them anywhere, they are a direct ship from Onan.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    This......

Gone, caput. No bueno....
    ! - that kinda sums it up Steve ! But really, are you sure...haha !

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonlight View Post
    ! - that kinda sums it up Steve ! But really, are you sure...haha !

Dan
    I've said it for awhile now.....it's going to get worse before it ever gets better.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast