User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    2018 Reflection 327
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The crash was the root cause of the accident, not the propane that started the fire. Seems like chat with a lawyer is probably a good idea.
    The manufacturer states not to travel with propane tanks in the open position but most fridges will not stay cold enough on a long run so many RV’ers run the fridges on propane. Not sure how many fires are attributed to running with open tanks. There is risk involved and looks like against laws with some consequences in an accident.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chillybob View Post
    The crash was the root cause of the accident, not the propane that started the fire. Seems like chat with a lawyer is probably a good idea.
    The manufacturer states not to travel with propane tanks in the open position but most fridges will not stay cold enough on a long run so many RV’ers run the fridges on propane. Not sure how many fires are attributed to running with open tanks. There is risk involved and looks like against laws with some consequences in an accident.
    You would think but look at all the fine print on your policy. The trailer got hit hard rolled... And a fire was started. But hey... It's your trailer and your money. You can do whatever you like. I just want people to be informed to make a good decision.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StupendousMan View Post
    Actually that is a myth, well what I mean is if you are caught using propane on a tow trailer (not sure about class motor homes) its illegal

Do you have a link to the applicable statute that proves your statement or are you going strictly on hearsay?

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd also be interested in any actual citations given for driving with propane on. I know it is against regulations in some states, but I've never, ever heard of anyone getting a ticket for it. And it does make one wonder about the trucking industry using propane on those long haul semi trailers.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RV Fridge- Are the manufacturers purposely keeping us in the dark?

There are really two questions here:

Is it legal to drive with propane running?
    Is it safe to drive with propane running?

From a legal perspective, the actual answer is:
    It depends.

In know I have seen propane restrictions in many places on the east coast, mostly driving through tunnels or on bridges.
    I also know that this is regulated on a state level not federal.

From a safety perspective it is more certainly less risk to drive with propane off versus on, but how much safer? Just the fact of having a flame creates risk, Hope much for that risk go up when driving? I say it does go up, absolutely. I personally have travelled with propane running for decades with no issue, but the underlying risk does not go away. We can take steps to help mitigate this risk, but it will always be there. So, if you see orb know of a restriction follow it, and the rest of the time be as safe as you can.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many fires occur while traveling that are caused by the propane being on the run the fridge? To be totally honest, I don't know of any personally. That would help determine the risk.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

2018 Reflection 327
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve met guys who will not travel with propane tank open and others who see it as no big deal to travel with the tank open. I think travelling with an open tank is pretty well common practice. When a person observes so many trucks being overloaded with heavy trailers and few accidents directly as a result. I think it’s an individual decision if a person chooses to travel open tank even if it against a written law.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RV Fridge- Are the manufacturers purposely keeping us in the dark?

Quote Originally Posted by chillybob View Post
    I’ve met guys who will not travel with propane tank open and others who see it as no big deal to travel with the tank open. I think travelling with an open tank is pretty well common practice. When a person observes so many trucks being overloaded with heavy trailers and few accidents directly as a result. I think it’s an individual decision if a person chooses to travel open tank even if it against a written law.
    Chillybob,

You have very succinctly summed up how I and many others feel. Yes it is a risk, one that can only be minimized, so we need to be safe with whatever our individual decision is on this.

We do need to be mindful of those areas that do prohibit and follow those rules. [emoji4]
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345