Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lithium batteries and convertor

I need to replace the crap battery in my 310 GK. I discharged it all the way and I think it sat out and got frozen as it lasts less than 8 hours with just a couple of lights on. I am thinking of getting two lithium batteries at 100 Ah. Would anyone be able to recommend a new converter for this set up? I know the progressives are there for lithium batteries but I don’t know what size I should get and if I need a bigger one whether I need to Change the wires from the converter to the battery and panels.

Finally if anyone in Canada can recommend a good dealer for decent lithium batteries would certainly be appreciated. There are cheap ones on Amazon but I’m a little concerned about the quality

Thanks
    Paul,Judy and Ember
    2021 310gk
    2019 ram 3500 mega cab dually diesel
    Andersen hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you replace the converter with the same size (amps) as you have currently its a direct swap. Its probably 60amps, that's what mine was when I swapped it when I added 2 battle born lithium's
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a conversation with a Battleborn rep yesterday. He recommended 50A max for a 100AH Lithium battery, or 100A for 2 Battleborns.
    I have a 55A IOTA converter for better charging to my dual 6V batteries. I mounted it inside the front pass-through so it's a short run to the batteries. If I go lithium I'll replace it with a lithium charger in the same spot.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmbopp View Post
    I had a conversation with a Battleborn rep yesterday. He recommended 50A max for a 100AH Lithium battery, or 100A for 2 Battleborns.
    I have a 55A IOTA converter for better charging to my dual 6V batteries. I mounted it inside the front pass-through so it's a short run to the batteries. If I go lithium I'll replace it with a lithium charger in the same spot.
    Interesting

Upgrading the converter to 100 amps seems crazy for two batteries. I am not an expert but I would think that would require significantly lower gauge wires and not sure where you would get 100 A to pump through the converter. Most sites are 30 to 50 amps. I think I’ll just swap out my current converter for a lithium capable one at the same amperage. Might take a little longer to charge the batteries but way easier install.
    Paul,Judy and Ember
    2021 310gk
    2019 ram 3500 mega cab dually diesel
    Andersen hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kretzer View Post
    Interesting

Upgrading the converter to 100 amps seems crazy for two batteries. I am not an expert but I would think that would require significantly lower gauge wires and not sure where you would get 100 A to pump through the converter. Most sites are 30 to 50 amps. I think I’ll just swap out my current converter for a lithium capable one at the same amperage. Might take a little longer to charge the batteries but way easier install.
    Yes, you'd need heavier gauge wire.
    But you're confusing 50A at 115VAC with 50A at 14VDC.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You didn't say if the one single battery when good, was enough for your outing.
    Two 100 Ah lithium's would be 3 times the amount.
    Getting the same sized 60 amp lithium profile converter would charge the 200Ah 20% SOC battery in about 3 hours.
    If you upgraded to the max recommended at 100 amps, it charges in about 2 hours.
    You would have to go up a wire size or two. The cost is small for the material, but I think hardly worth the aggravation to change wires.
    I think the largest size Progressive has is 80 amps. Depending on how long your wire is, you could use the same set-up you have.