User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgpracer View Post
    If I am going on a trip, do I start fridge on gas, when I get where I'm going, do I plug it in and all is good?

For traveling purposes........

Do I put a gallon or two of water thru the sinks before a trip for grey tank?
    Do I put a gallon or two of water (along with scoop of Happy Camper, or similar) through the toilet for black tank?

If I am taking a long trip, end of day one of two, stop in walmart parking lot.......is camper close enough to level to put out slide? In the 230RL, you can't access potty or bed room with slide in.

Dumb questions, but our first ever trip is coming up.
    I've been here a LOT and haven't seen many dumb questions. Ask away!

I've got some quibbles with some of the advice you've received so far.

Nobody has quite said that it's illegal in many places / situations to have your fridge (or anything) running on propane while you're traveling. Tunnels and fueling stations are a no-no pretty much everywhere and many jurisdictions say you can't even drive on the road with propane open. While you would not be the first to ignore these laws, know that you're breaking laws.

I haven't looked up what fridge you have but as others have said an inverter and a single battery probably won't run it for very long. A good inverter and good additional battery to keep it running for a half-day will cost several hundred dollars. Before you go that route, try a trip without running the fridge. Plug in your trailer and run your fridge for a few days before you're going to leave, load it with food a day or so before you leave, and then don't open it again until you're at your destination. All you need to plug in is an ordinary 15-amp extension cord and the adapter(s) necessary to connect it to your trailer. With our Norcold 2118 we've run trips of over six hours in 80+ degree heat and found everything still very cold and ice still frozen solid, at the destination. YMMV.

Most of all I wanted to jump in to advise that putting water in the tanks before traveling is a GREAT idea. It's a great idea to put at least several gallons of water (some say as much as ten gallons) into each of your gray and black tanks immediately after they are dumped, every time. Quite a few people follow the GEO Method (google that) and add water softener and Dawn dish soap or PineSol to that charging water every few times they dump. The water and the cleaning additives help prevent things from clumping or sticking in the tank, and help to keep the tank sensors from becoming useless almost right away. These beneficial effects are ESPECIALLY effective if the trailer is taken for a drive after the tanks have been charged with gallons of water and maybe some cleaning agents. The sloshing around does nothing but good things - definitely follow your inclination to do that. Use more than "a gallon or two"; since the tanks are large a gallon or two will usually not fully cover the bottom of the tank, which is something you want to make sure you do. I use about five gallons in each tank, others use more.

EDIT: I missed one of your questions. It's really important that your trailer be CLOSE to level when operating the slides. Doesn't have to be perfect, but if it doesn't at least LOOK very close to level you are risking putting strain on parts of the slide system that could be expensive.

Hope you enjoy your first trip, despite all these sometimes-conflicting bits of advice!
    Last edited by boyscout; 03-09-2021 at 08:46 AM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second the suggestion of the GEO method. I've used it for years and it has eliminated my need for chemicals in the black tank. I have noticed that not having any liquid in the black tank while traveling will create some odor.

I have always traveled with propane on to power refrigerator and have never had an issue. I do recognize the laws however. My suggestion is to always keep a thermometer in the fridge to actually see if it is being kept cold enough, then make a decision.

I have a difficult time keeping my fridge below 40 degrees in hot weather even when on shore power. I've gone to great lengths to add fans, etc to accomplish this with fair results. I can't imagine starting a day's trip with my fridge already at barely safe temps and not having the propane on. I'm always amazed that since the recommended temps for a fridge is 38 degrees that we all don't get more contaminated food. I doubt many folks really monitor those temps.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgpracer View Post
    I posted this one, don't think it took, if it did, please disregard or delete.

230RL:

If I am going on a trip, do I start fridge on gas, when I get where I'm going, do I plug it in and all is good?

For traveling purposes........

Do I put a gallon or two of water thru the sinks before a trip for grey tank?
    Do I put a gallon or two of water (along with scoop of Happy Camper, or similar) through the toilet for black tank?

If I am taking a long trip, end of day one of two, stop in walmart parking lot.......is camper close enough to level to put out slide? In the 230RL, you can't access potty or bed room with slide in.

Dumb questions, but our first ever trip is coming up.

Thanks

Also.....
    A couple days before the trip I plug the
    unit in and run the fridge on AC. During the trip I run the fridge on gas. No issues in 40 years. I don't do anything for the gray tanks. I do run with water in the fresh water tanks - force of habit. Saved my but many times including limping 100 miles on a leaking water pump - just kept refilling radiator. My trailer actually tows better with a full water tank too.

For black tank - skip all the fancy chemicals - you don't need them. Before my trip I put in 5 gallons of water and 1 cup dawn dish soap (must use dawn). Some folks throw in a Tied laundry pod. Helps clean sensors. The dawn slicks up the inside of the tank and keeps the poo/paper pile from forming as easily and helps break up the greasy poo.

Hope this helps
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Running an open flame when getting fuel. Could be an issue.

We have a Victron Multiplus charger/ Inverter. Need good batteries and a certain amount of amp HOWEVER every 110 outlet in our camper is live and you reefer can go on AC vs propane

https://www.solar-electric.com/victr...-3000-120.html
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RV Sailor View Post
    Running an open flame when getting fuel. Could be an issue.

We have a Victron Multiplus charger/ Inverter. Need good batteries and a certain amount of amp HOWEVER every 110 outlet in our camper is live and you reefer can go on AC vs propane

https://www.solar-electric.com/victr...-3000-120.html
    Well aware of inverters and like i said no issues in 40 years. I also have a diesel.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    I have a difficult time keeping my fridge below 40 degrees in hot weather even when on shore power. I've gone to great lengths to add fans, etc to accomplish this with fair results. I can't imagine starting a day's trip with my fridge already at barely safe temps and not having the propane on. I'm always amazed that since the recommended temps for a fridge is 38 degrees that we all don't get more contaminated food. I doubt many folks really monitor those temps.
    @Rgpracer This is a good point... some fridges aren't very cold to begin with.

Our fridge is our second one in this trailer - the first was replaced on warranty after sealing issues - and it gets cold (mid-30s) and stays cold well (we've done pharmaceutical-quality temperature surveys on it). However not all fridges do so well. As I said above about trying travel without the fridge running, YMMV.
    Last edited by boyscout; 03-10-2021 at 07:31 AM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You got really good advise on your questions. We also travel with the fridge on propane and 1/3 in the fresh water tank. We use the geo method for both black and grey. Here's a little article with a recipe for it https://kleentank.com/the-geo-method/ As for overnight stays in Walmart Inn or similar, I find that spots between sewers are more level then the ones closer to those sewer openings. We were told that the proper ethics for slides is to keep them in. I guess these are unwritten rules. I do put the stabilizers down. If I want to open my slide, I try to find a spot that the slide will open over a grassy or similar area. Oh and park as far away from the store as possible. Check before with the manager, a lot of places are starting to refuse overnight stays. This will avoid the rude awakening at 3am saying that you have to move NOW.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I would never park in a Walmart parking lot. Unhooking the tow vehicle, running a generator, or setting up your rig I think is not appropriate, Just me.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have done a lot of Walmart boon docking along with rest stops (where allowed) and truck stops, I never unhook (do pull pigtail). I have reflective tape on the side of my one slide. I might get two traffic cones someday. I always ask to see if it is safe or allowed. There have only been a few times I have been told its not safe. In my travels to Mississippi across Texas and other places I have found a lot of the small towns will allow overnight stays in the municipal lots or parks. I ask the diner staff when getting dinner. I have even asked LEO officers when getting fuel. It is amazing the help they can offer. More than one has said they would check on us during the night. I always try and get breakfast someplace in town afterword. On other thing is a lot of private camp grounds have overflow parking for a quick stop even though they are full. Sometimes you get a discount for no hookups.

Just food for thought
    Hope this helps

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1carguy View Post
    Personally, I would never park in a Walmart parking lot. Unhooking the tow vehicle, running a generator, or setting up your rig I think is not appropriate, Just me.
    We don't unhook or run the geny and rarely open the slide. All I do is lower the stabilizers and jack. We are just there to sleep. We do replenish our stock their and if they have breakfast or just coffee we will get it there.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast