User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fridge/tanks and overnight parking lot stay question

I posted this one, don't think it took, if it did, please disregard or delete.

230RL:

If I am going on a trip, do I start fridge on gas, when I get where I'm going, do I plug it in and all is good?

For traveling purposes........

Do I put a gallon or two of water thru the sinks before a trip for grey tank?
    Do I put a gallon or two of water (along with scoop of Happy Camper, or similar) through the toilet for black tank?

If I am taking a long trip, end of day one of two, stop in walmart parking lot.......is camper close enough to level to put out slide? In the 230RL, you can't access potty or bed room with slide in.

Dumb questions, but our first ever trip is coming up.

Thanks

Also.....
    Msgt Ray (Ret) and Margie Parker
    2022 GD 303RLS w/Gen-Y gooseneck
    2020 Ram 2500 HD Cummins 6.7/3.73 gears

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgpracer View Post

230RL:

If I am going on a trip, do I start fridge on gas, when I get where I'm going, do I plug it in and all is good?

Do I put a gallon or two of water (along with scoop of Happy Camper, or similar) through the toilet for black tank?

If I am taking a long trip, end of day one of two, stop in walmart parking lot.......is camper close enough to level to put out slide? In the 230RL, you can't access potty or bed room with slide in.

Thanks

Also.....
    When we travel, if the trip to the first stop is more than 2-3 hours, then we turn the fridge on for the trip, since it takes over 12 hours for fridge to reach maximum cooling. We have installed an inverter to do this, but before we did, we did run the fridge on propane during travel.

No need to put anything in the grey/black tanks before travel. At first stop, we add toilet preps once we've flushed a couple of times. Although I would suggest filling fresh water tank at least 1/3 full. It comes in handy for those "gotta stop NOW" potty calls.

While we've never done the WalMart thing, we've often stopped for just one night. We put our levelers down when camping just to keep things from bouncing around. Stopping in random parking lots, it's up to you how level you think you are, but it's a good idea to be pretty level for putting out slides.
    Last edited by livinthelife; 03-08-2021 at 03:39 PM.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    When we travel, if the trip to the first stop is more than 2-3 hours, then we turn the fridge on for the trip, since it takes over 12 hours for fridge to reach maximum cooling. We have installed an inverter to do this, but before we did, we did run the fridge on propane during travel.

No need to put anything in the grey/black tanks before travel. At first stop, we add toilet preps once we've flushed a couple of times. Although I would suggest filling fresh water tank at least 1/3 full. It comes in handy for those "gotta stop NOW" potty calls.

While we've never done the WalMart thing, we've often stopped for just one night. We put our levelers down when camping just to keep things from bouncing around. Stopping in random parking lots, it's up to you how level you think you are, but it's a good idea to be pretty level for putting out slides.
    Thanks livinthelife for the info.....couple of things, what inverter did you use and where did you install it?
    We are going on a two day travel trip soon with Friends, we always travel (when on our Goldwing or in our Miata) 12(ish) hours before stopping the first night. For this length of a trip, we could plug fridge into inverter??

Ps.....Walmart was only a "place", not a must stay, mainly just talking about an overnight anyplace, but sure you knew that.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks livinthelife for the info.....couple of things, what inverter did you use and where did you install it?
    We are going on a two day travel trip soon with Friends, we always travel (when on our Goldwing or in our Miata) 12(ish) hours before stopping the first night. For this length of a trip, we could plug fridge into inverter??

Ps.....Walmart was only a "place", not a must stay, mainly just talking about an overnight anyplace, but sure you knew that.
    I'll have to get back to you on the "what type". Husband is out right now and he's the one who did the install. One question, what type of batteries do you have? I know we got lithium batteries before my husband would install the inverter.

EDIT; Hubby's back - it's a Renogy, and he put it in the storage bay. Now, we have 2 lithium batteries, and solar, so that could be an issue for you, depending on what you have. Since you're traveling that long the first night, propane would be the the better choice, according to him. When you get to your stop, if there are hookups, yes, just hook up to the electric and turn on the fridge when power is on.
    Last edited by livinthelife; 03-08-2021 at 04:15 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

230RL:

Thanks

Also.....
    With the Dometic fridge in my rig, if I manually set it to run on GAS, I would have to manually set it back to run on AC after I plug in. Running GAS while traveling is a personal choice and a can of worms...decide for yourself. I've never heard of putting water in the G-Tanks for travel but someone else may know a reason. Your black tank should always have a little fluid in it...you don't want it to get dry. Happy camper is fine, as well. Some people will dump a few bags of ice into the black tank and the cubes will help to knock "stuff" free as you move. I've never done a Walmart but from what I'm seeing on line these days, It's getting more spotty as time progresses. it would probably need to be a rural Walmart...call ahead and ask for permission and you can also ask them about their policy on slides. You can put the slides out if your a little uneven. There are no dumb questions...have fun and be safe!
    GoodOz

2019 Reflection 297RSTS
    2018 F250 6.7 w/2219 available payload

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    I'll have to get back to you on the "what type". Husband is out right now and he's the one who did the install. One question, what type of batteries do you have? I know we got lithium batteries before my husband would install the inverter.
    Thank you very much mam.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you very much mam.
    OK, I edited my original post with the answer. I also agree a little water (at least) in black tank at all times is a good idea.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goodoz View Post
    With the Dometic fridge in my rig, if I manually set it to run on GAS, I would have to manually set it back to run on AC after I plug in. Running GAS while traveling is a personal choice and a can of worms...decide for yourself. I've never heard of putting water in the G-Tanks for travel but someone else may know a reason. Your black tank should always have a little fluid in it...you don't want it to get dry. Happy camper is fine, as well. Some people will dump a few bags of ice into the black tank and the cubes will help to knock "stuff" free as you move. I've never done a Walmart but from what I'm seeing on line these days, It's getting more spotty as time progresses. it would probably need to be a rural Walmart...call ahead and ask for permission and you can also ask them about their policy on slides. You can put the slides out if your a little uneven. There are no dumb questions...have fun and be safe!
    Thanks Sir, Walmart was just an "random" word for stopping someplace for an overnight sleep before getting up and leaving, but, I understand 100% about these times. I just want to know how to stop someplace and not have to unhook from the truck just for an overnight without water or electric.
    I still need to buy a generator.
    Thanks sir.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

230RL:

If you are at home and can power and run the 'fridge on electric, do so. If not a day prior to loading, dependent on outside temperatures, start cooling your fridge. You can let it run on gas while traveling, many will say not too but you need to keep your food in a safe state. Be aware there are restrictions when going through tunnels with gas on so that would be a good time to pull over and shut the tanks. If you travel long periods during the day or stop over at a Walmart / Cracker Barrel you may find your battery isn't adequate to keep the fridge powered. When you start your fridge follow the directions and press the button so it is on "auto". When you get to your campground and plug in it will sense 120VAC power and switch over itself. A top tip!!! start the cooling cycle later in the afternoon as the fridge will do an automatic defrost about 60 hours in. This will happen during the night and recovery won't be as taxing on the fridge.

If this is the first time out don't worry about it. Flush after leaving the campgrounds periodically and at the last overnight be sure to do a black tank flush so you return home clean. Add whichever solution you choose, I've tried several and found they all work. When you get home is when it's important not to leave the black tank dry. I add a half cup of Pine Sol and a five gallon bucket of water. That's not a bad idea for the kitchen tank as well.

You should have no problem with your slide out. Be sure to contact the store manager and ask leave to stay in his lot. Be aware you will need to first find a level area to park and get your rig set up. If your rig is slightly pitched up hooked up find a place the has a slight downhill run. Put the front landing gear down 'til it just touches and the rear stabilizers.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 03-08-2021 at 04:34 PM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    If you are at home and can power and run the 'fridge on electric, do so. If not a day prior to loading, dependent on outside temperatures, start cooling your fridge. You can let it run on gas while traveling, many will say not too but you need to keep your food in a safe state. Be aware there are restrictions when going through tunnels with gas on so that would be a good time to pull over and shut the tanks. If you travel long periods during the day or stop over at a Walmart / Cracker Barrel you may find your battery isn't adequate to keep the fridge powered. When you start your fridge follow the directions and press the button so it is on "auto". When you get to your campground and plug in it will sense 120VAC power and switch over itself. A top tip!!! start the cooling cycle later in the afternoon as the fridge will do an automatic defrost about 60 hours in. This will happen during the night and recovery won't be as taxing on the fridge.

If this is the first time out don't worry about it. Flush after leaving the campgrounds periodically and at the last overnight be sure to do a black tank flush so you return home clean. Add whichever solution you choose, I've tried several and found they all work. When you get home is when it's important not to leave the black tank dry. I add a half cup of Pine Sol and a five gallon bucket of water. That's not a bad idea for the kitchen tank as well.

You should have no problem with your slide out. Be sure to contact the store manager and ask leave to stay in his lot. Be aware you will need to first find a level area to park and get your rig set up. If your rig is slightly pitched up hooked up find a place the has a slight downhill run. Put the front landing gear down 'til it just touches and the rear stabilizers.
    Ace.....that is awesome info.
    Thanks Sir.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast