User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where is my converter-charger

I just purchased a 2021 Solitude 310gk. It came with 2 size 24 lead acid batteries and I am going to replace them with two Battle Born 100ah lithium batteries. I am trying to locate the converter charger. I looked behind breaker panel, behind the divider in the pass through and in the battery compartment with no luck. It looks like there is a space below the pass through but thought I would check before removing that panel under the trailer!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my 2020 310GK, it was behind the breaker panel. I got access to it by removing the rear wall in the passthrough basement storage.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    In my 2020 310GK, it was behind the breaker panel. I got access to it by removing the rear wall in the passthrough basement storage.
    That is where I thought it would be! I took the rear wall of the pass through out and couldn’t see it anywhere. Then took out the breaker panel and it wasn’t visible from there either. There is an automatic transfer switch in the area but no charger.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe they changed something with the way they wired the 2021 models. I think mine was 12"-24" behind the breaker box. Follow the power cable from the outside wall to the breaker box and you should find it.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by riverdrifter1 View Post
    I just purchased a 2021 Solitude 310gk. It came with 2 size 24 lead acid batteries and I am going to replace them with two Battle Born 100ah lithium batteries. I am trying to locate the converter charger. I looked behind breaker panel, behind the divider in the pass through and in the battery compartment with no luck. It looks like there is a space below the pass through but thought I would check before removing that panel under the trailer!
    On our 2018 310GK, it is bolted tot he floor directly behind the breaker panel. You can (sort of) access it by removing the rear wall of the pass through compartment. Here is a picture. The converter is the silver box on the floor in the center of the picture. The breaker panel is through the two holes knocked through the wall behind the converter. The black box to the left is the Progressive Industries EMS I installed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9246.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	103.1 KB 
ID:	30982

Hope this helps

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoChris View Post
    On our 2018 310GK, it is bolted tot he floor directly behind the breaker panel. You can (sort of) access it by removing the rear wall of the pass through compartment. Here is a picture. The converter is the silver box on the floor in the center of the picture. The breaker panel is through the two holes knocked through the wall behind the converter. The black box to the left is the Progressive Industries EMS I installed.

Hope this helps

Chris
    Thanks! This is where I thought I would find it but didn’t. I will have to look some more. However it appears my WFCO WF-9800 will work fine according to the Battle Born web site, so I may just drop the new batteries in.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! This is where I thought I would find it but didn’t. I will have to look some more. However it appears my WFCO WF-9800 will work fine according to the Battle Born web site, so I may just drop the new batteries in.
    It will barely work. If you are going to spend almost $2000 on batteries, step up to the plate and get the correct converter. The batteries will charge better and faster.
    HERE is a link to a conversion table for Progressive Dynamics.

I got my converter off the floor by mounting it to the wall.
    KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    It will barely work. If you are going to spend almost $2000 on batteries, step up to the plate and get the correct converter. The batteries will charge better and faster.
    HERE is a link to a conversion table for Progressive Dynamics.

I got my converter off the floor by mounting it to the wall.
    KEN
    I am totally on board with a new converter. I have really looked all over behind the pass through and behind the breaker box. There is space behind a plywood wall off the space behind the pass through that may house it but it will be a pain to access. I’m wondering if I turn off the breaker to the converter, and install a new converter plugged into the outlet that also powers the vacuum and run the wires from the converter direct to the battery if that would be OK. I could also remove the wires from the converter breaker and run wires to a new outlet for the new converter. I don’t know the amp rating for the existing converter or the gauge wires to run from the new converter to the batteries. Thanks!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoChris View Post

Hope this helps

Chris
    I am totally on board with a new converter. I have really looked all over behind the pass through and behind the breaker box. There is space behind a plywood wall off the space behind the pass through that may house it but it will be a pain to access. I’m wondering if I turn off the breaker to the converter, and install a new converter plugged into the outlet that also powers the vacuum and run the wires from the converter direct to the battery if that would be OK. I could also remove the wires from the converter breaker and run wires to a new outlet for the new converter. I don’t know the amp rating for the existing converter or the gauge wires to run from the new converter to the batteries. Thanks!
    Looking at Chris's picture, you might be able to touch the converter if you are not too big.

I zipped tied some of the wires together to make a little path to get to mine. I have a lot more room in our Solitude because there is less plumbing in the way.

On the converter, there is the large red and black wires plus a 110 cord on the other end. The 110 cord plugs into the back of the circuit breaker box. There is a single outlet on the back of the circuit breaker box. Plugging the cord in was the hardest thing for me. I could touch it, but could not see it. KEN

2nd converter at the factory location

3rd converter

Note black cord going to back of breaker box.
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To remove the "false wall" to the rear of the pass through simply requires removing about 20 (just guessing) screws and the diagonal then rear walls come out. It is a pain to work in the area because of the plumbing (ridged drain pipes) and rats nest of wires, but is very doable.

If you are running new wires, keep in mind the converter/charge both powers the trailer (via the distribution/fuse panel) and charges the battery. Grand Design uses #6 wire from the converter to panel and then from the panel to the batteries. This could be the smallest gauge wire I would use (#4 would be better). Your highest current draw will be from the hydraulic pump which is directly wired to the batteries, but the longest duration high current can be from the converter charging the batteries.

The stock WFCO converter is a 55 Amp model. If you are going to Lithium batteries, one of their many advantages is their ability to be quickly and completely charge. This would require much more than 55A. The stock converter also does not charge at a high enough voltage to fully charge Lithium batteries.

Chris
    Last edited by CoChris; 12-05-2020 at 06:31 PM.
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast