Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awnings and the wind

Good Day!

We have been living on our Imagine 2670MK pretty much full-time since July 2020. That includes a cross country move from Seattle area back to our home in central Florida. We are still living on our RV while our sticks & bricks gets a facelift - now entering its 3rd month.

My question is related to our awning - which we rarely use due to concerns with winds. We recently purchased one of the mesh screens, to sort of enclose the awning on the 20' length side. I also have the straps which gets screwed into the ground and help secure the awning. My question is - at approximately what wind speed should I decide to remove this set up and roll in the awning? We're in Florida and headed into the rainy season. It can also get pretty breezy here.

I watch the other folks and some seem to leave their awnings out, even in pretty gusty days, while others tear down and roll in the awnings. Of course these are Class A's, 5th wheels and TT's like ours, of all different makes and models.

I just want to get an idea of whether its worth my time to go to the trouble to install all this stuff. It seems a pain to install it all, if I'm only going to have to remove it hours or a day or two later. I'd like to see what others do, that have these setups?

Finally, do I really need to remove that screen?? Or, can it be rolled up inside the awning when I bring it back in?

Thanks!
    Steve
    Steve & Pat
    2019 Ram 3500 Limited MegaCab
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK

https://www.epgsoft.com/visited-stat...100&format=png

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The factory awnings are entry level models, unfortunately, and really cannot endure the breeze. Particularly true for longer awnings. Approach angle of the wind is a factor too. IMO, sustained breeze of a few-5mph ok, and any gusting above 10mph for the Carefree. If you have the Lippert, a little more.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    The factory awnings are entry level models, unfortunately, and really cannot endure the breeze. Particularly true for longer awnings. Approach angle of the wind is a factor too. IMO, sustained breeze of a few-5mph ok, and any gusting above 10mph for the Carefree. If you have the Lippert, a little more.
    Yikes, that doesn't sound too encouraging! May have tot return the screen and strappings.
    Steve & Pat

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverado333 View Post
    Yikes, that doesn't sound too encouraging! May have tot return the screen and strappings.
    I would. Today’s awnings are just sunshades

It is the biggest thing I hate about my current trailer
    My last trailer had a manual awning that stayed out in the biggest coastal storms without any issue

If it wasn’t so expensive I would rip this one off and put on a manual one

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverado333 View Post
    Your dollar will be much better spent on a Clam/EZ-Up standalone.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Your dollar will be much better spent on a Clam/EZ-Up standalone.
    Don't really see us using that. I set the awning out if we grill our sit outside, then close up when done. Was hoping we'd use the outside area more if I had the screen and strapping - guess I should have asked this question before I purchased. May be outside the return timeframe
    Steve & Pat

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are a great addition for wind and rain. I just wish they made them tall enough for the toy haulers.

https://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/p...stabilizr.html
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by offtohavasu View Post
    These are a great addition for wind and rain. I just wish they made them tall enough for the toy haulers.

https://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/p...stabilizr.html
    Curtis, I have no doubt you can/will figure out a mod to make it work for you!
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCR GD View Post
    Curtis, I have no doubt you can/will figure out a mod to make it work for you!
    I have some ideas. But they're a little pricey to need a mod right away. But then again, so are our trailers.

I was thinking about bed risers or something to that effect.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We spent last winter in Florida and bought a mesh screen. Hopefully the one you bought is the two piece kind with a zipper. The one we bought wasn't and it was such a pain in the neck to put on and off all the time that we stopped doing it. We saw others that if the wind was going to pick up, they unzipped the screen and left the one part attached to the awning and rolled it in. Much better and easier that way. We also found that in any kind of breeze, those spiral anchors would be pulled out of the sand pretty easily and many used weights of different kinds to help keep the screen anchored.
    Last edited by RobWNY; 03-06-2021 at 11:16 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast