Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Electric outlet cracked

The receptacle on the left side of the couch cracked. I took off the cover plate and found it's not installed in a box, but rather has two tabs that lock it to the wall. One of the tabs is what broke off. I checked the local Lowe's, they don't carry this type of outlet. I've checked Amazon and Grainger with no luck. Any idea where I can get a replacement receptacle? Thanks.
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Tom, have you tried Camping World?

Steve

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Tom,

I had a non-working outlet discovered shortly after delivery, so I looked inside. I was surprised to find the "clamp together" box/outlet configuration. I googled the manufacturer name on the box (can't remember it at the moment) and learned some more about their product. In part, that they have a special tool for clamping the front and back halves together, piercing the insulation and making all the connections. Seems a little "iffy" to me, but they appear to have certification from all the expected organizations. I had my RV back to the dealer for other work and they replaced the outlet with the same part. Don't know if they got the part from GD or if it is an industry norm. (I expect the latter).

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is an RV outlet used industry-wide. When possible, I replace them in my units with a traditional box/outlet/plate. I have even resorted to cutting the back end out of a plastic box to make it fit in a restricted space.
    2018 GD Reflections 337RLS, 2021 Ram 3500 Cummins 4x4 CC w/auto level dually, TrailAir pinbox, B&W Companion hitch, Fold-A-Cover Tonneau

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a Wirecon Hubbell receptacle, fully enclosed with tabs to lock it to the wall. It's not a restricted space so I could add a box and standard household outlet. Probably be the easiest and cheapest option. Thanks.
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking at this: http://www.hubbell-wirecon.com/liter...ationGuide.pdf it looks like there's a "punch down tool" needed to set the wires. When first reading this, I thought the wires were exposed with no box, but seeing this makes a little more sense.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TNFSolitude View Post
    The receptacle on the left side of the couch cracked. I took off the cover plate and found it's not installed in a box, but rather has two tabs that lock it to the wall. One of the tabs is what broke off. I checked the local Lowe's, they don't carry this type of outlet. I've checked Amazon and Grainger with no luck. Any idea where I can get a replacement receptacle? Thanks.
    You might be able to cannibalize a "tab" off of a cut in box from hardware store. The tabs look similar enough it might work... and save the hassle of cutting the hole bigger and having to mess with the "sealed" OEM plug.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retread68 View Post
    That is an RV outlet used industry-wide. When possible, I replace them in my units with a traditional box/outlet/plate. I have even resorted to cutting the back end out of a plastic box to make it fit in a restricted space.
    Be careful doing this as it leaves the inside of the wall vulnerable to a spark if one should occur in the box or plug unit.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JCR - - Yes you are correct. - I should have clarified why/how I modified the box. I actually used a non-conductive plexiglass sheet behind the box forming a false back for the box. Depth wise it was the same as a low-voltage box (backless). Location: under the cabinet, to the right of the stove, in my 303RLS. Reason: original installation had too large a hole cutout for the OEM outlet, thus the outlet would not stay in the cabinet.
    2018 GD Reflections 337RLS, 2021 Ram 3500 Cummins 4x4 CC w/auto level dually, TrailAir pinbox, B&W Companion hitch, Fold-A-Cover Tonneau

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retread68 View Post
    JCR - - Yes you are correct. - I should have clarified why/how I modified the box. I actually used a non-conductive plexiglass sheet behind the box forming a false back for the box. Depth wise it was the same as a low-voltage box (backless). Location: under the cabinet, to the right of the stove, in my 303RLS. Reason: original installation had too large a hole cutout for the OEM outlet, thus the outlet would not stay in the cabinet.
    Definitely a good way to go... I've seen guys just screw a residential plug into a hole in the wall...No box, no nuthin'... Yikes.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast