User Tag List

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Rotated tongue jack head, temporarily lost motor function

Hi friends. 2021 Transcend Xplor. Rotated tongue jack head 90 degrees CCW to facilitate opening TV tailgate while hitched. After removing head I tried to operate jack; motor did not turn, seemed dead. Thought I had put too much strain on wire, disconnecting something inside; resolved to fix after completing mechanical aspects of head rotation. Tapped predrilled holes and reassembled with 90 degree CCW offset. Motor worked great. Am concerned that I have a connection floating inside head allowing intermittent operation but so far it is consistently functional. Called Lippert inquiring if there is an interlock that prevents operation if head not mounted on tube. Representative didn't think there was an interlock but said possibly the ground made my the two mounting screws is necessary to operation of jack motor. Sounds reasonable to me but would still like the peace of mind of knowing that I don't have a floating connection inside. Anyone else experience a loss of motor function while head not mounted, or able to confirm necessity of mounting bolt ground to motor operation?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only wire to hook up during installation on the jack is the 12V source (red wire), the ground is accomplished through the bolted on head. So, yes it will not work with the head disconnected as there is no ground return for the 12V. You should be good to go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks my friend, was hoping that was the case; don't want the unease of not knowing.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by berndtrinva View Post
    Tapped predrilled holes and reassembled with 90 degree CCW offset.
    You're lucky. I did not have pre-drilled holes, I had to measure, mark, drill and then tap them. But I was successful!
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2